Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Can maya install on more than one computer with one purchase? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25274)

kinddoggofwar 01-03-2007 05:33 PM

Can maya install on more than one computer with one purchase?

Sorry i have so much questions, but I have one more :/
I may be getting a laptop in a couple months, but am getting Maya within a week. So i was wondering if you can install Maya on more than one computer with one purchase? So can I install it on my home computer, then when I get my laptop, install it over to that computer?

severinianthony 01-03-2007 05:49 PM

I believe you should be able to, but I cannot confirm that for sure.

happymat27 01-03-2007 06:49 PM

You can't,

when you install Maya, you need to submit your computers IP address to Autodesk who then customise the license to that machine. When my old computer died I had to get them to transfer the license over to my new one before it would work. I believe that you can get floating licenses which I think work with a dongle, that way you can use multiple machines but unless you requested that when you purchased you don't get it.

Take it easy,

Mat.

kinddoggofwar 01-03-2007 06:56 PM

How much does it cost to add another license?

happymat27 01-03-2007 08:05 PM

At a guess I'd say it would be the purchase price again, you're probably best off asking Autodesk on multiple license pricing.

AnthonyCg 02-03-2007 12:09 AM

What if for some reason, I had to change my IP?

publicFunction 02-03-2007 12:18 AM

It nor your IP it your MAC Address of the Network card of your PC/Workstation

The MAC Address is the Hexidecimal number you see if you go to a command prompt in Windows and type:

ipconfig /all

You get this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mypc-donottouch
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-2A-4B-91
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 March 2007 15:18:15
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 06 March 2007 15:18:15

The bit in bold is the MAC Address that Autodesk use.

kinddoggofwar 02-03-2007 01:29 AM

So it would cost as much as a second Maya?

vladimirjp 02-03-2007 02:26 AM

ask for a dongle!

/me runs :alien:

ColdWave 02-03-2007 02:27 AM

go to properties to my computer -> hardware - > device manager - > network adapters choose the adapter you have and right click properties - > Advanced - > Network Adress then in Value : type your mac adress of your privious PC then hit Ok

Now you have the same Mac like your other PC like 2 dupicate Network cards .. now connect to internet using your User name and pass and try it ...it might help ...

P.s Thats the way i steal internet ::bandit: :p
Btw you can steal internet when u are on Raspppoe protocols ... just find some mac-s of friends and their passes and have fun !! :) sorry for this if it's out of the forum ruls !!!
;)

R-Tillery 02-03-2007 03:08 AM

You can as long as you purchase a Dongle, it’s about $150.00 US from Autodesk or the reseller you get your copy of Maya. I have it on 2 system.

ColdWave 02-03-2007 03:32 AM

150 $ in my country is a salary for a month ... :headbang:

G-Man 02-03-2007 04:28 AM

Dongle!! the way to go!...
its worth the extra 150$, as it is basically a portable license, other wise, if you ever built a new computer, you'd have to get a new license, or hope autodesk woudl allow you to get a new one for free....likely..HEh
G.

happymat27 02-03-2007 08:27 AM

My mistake saying the IP address, it's because you type in ipconfig/all to get it, sorry if I confused things.

Regarding building a new machine, I had no problem changing my license over, I just asked Autodesk. They took my old and new MAC addresses and sent me a new license. But the dongle sounds like a good idea if you have a laptop that can run Maya, mine has trouble with MS Word!!.

Later,

Mat.

Jay 02-03-2007 11:37 AM

Dongle!!!!!

Jeez the amount of people I come across who dont have these. Its the best way!!

Jay

kinddoggofwar 02-03-2007 03:38 PM

Do you have to purchase the dongle when you originally purchase Maya, or can you upgrade later?

R-Tillery 02-03-2007 05:49 PM

I think you have to set up your license with it when you first get it. But I’m sure you can ask Autodesk to work with you on making it happen. It might cost a little more but way worth the money. You could be working on one system while the other is rendering.

severinianthony 04-03-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by happymat27
You can't,

when you install Maya, you need to submit your computers IP address to Autodesk who then customise the license to that machine. When my old computer died I had to get them to transfer the license over to my new one before it would work. I believe that you can get floating licenses which I think work with a dongle, that way you can use multiple machines but unless you requested that when you purchased you don't get it.

Take it easy,

Mat.

Me 'n Newegg are going to have to have a little chat, now...