Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Gnomon3d Training Dvds (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2558)

Ravenall 17-12-2002 06:18 PM

ok i have seen these videos for my self and learnd alot of things. the poeple that maid the videos are very well skiled in 3d animation and the speeck very clearly if i had the money i would buy them 5 times over.

dpvtank 18-12-2002 12:37 AM

i do not know about this....
i am unsure of videos...

i prefer the good ol' fashioned books...

then again, i have never tried this video

maaya 21-12-2002 11:08 AM

Ravenall I Am Really Happy

Hello
Ravenall i am really thanks that u post a message that u like these dvds to much u are the second person who appreciate these dvds!
sir please can u tell me that if i buy the dvds of gnomon3d ,i can make anything which i want ~
my question is that what is the main thing in these vidios which inspires u their teaching mthod,or any other thing ,sir please explain clearly, i am very thankful to u for this knidness!
because i love the gnomon3d~
bye sir!

maaya 21-12-2002 11:14 AM

Ravenall PLease Read this Also !

Ravenall:
can u tell me the name of videos u purchase ,from gnomon3d!
sir i really thankful to u !
bye

anil 21-12-2002 06:20 PM

I was an old customer/student of Gnomon videos and I have bought almost all of the videos from them. And yes they are good in what they teach you and alex is one of the master's of maya.
BUT i would say 'NO' to spend that kind of money on those tapes/DVDs., just because they don't teach u how to model/texture/animate like the way 'SimplyMaya' does. They simply explain the menus. And u might ask...are they useful ?.
Yes they are exremely useful...when U are at a intermediate level.
After so much of experience , I strongly recommend u start off with 'simplyMaya' , repeat the each video tutorials 10 times and then try the stuff like Gnomon if u still feel u need assistance.

And also try and repeat all those free tutorial u find on the net.
Hope this helps....

mtmckinley 21-12-2002 09:34 PM

I think a lot of people have given you a lot of good advice... I think now the decision is up to you.

nirsul 22-12-2002 12:01 AM

To Maaya

As a newbie I can tell you this:

3DBuzz has great videos which are totally free and Jason Busby (The Buzz) is a great teacher and tells you many things that are deep inside the manuals.

www.3dbuzz.com

SimplyMaya is very good and the tutorials are awesome , I just re-paid for another bunch of points and am glad I did , the audio is a bit ..... (did you hear that Kev ?), Mike McKinley is a very good teacher as he not only shows you the way to do it but also warns you of possible errors and explains many things while doing his thing (Kudos Mike !!! Just watched you shark tut )

Digital-Tutors has many video tutorials free (plus some commercial)

*********************************/digita...maya/index.htm

These , plus making some written tutorials on the WWW , plus, trying things for yourself will advance you towards your goal

Cheers

Nir
:D

mtmckinley 22-12-2002 04:29 AM

Thanks, Nirsul. :) I've got a better mic now so I won't have any audio problems in the future, and the old shark vids will be replaced as soon as we get the divx thing worked out.

strykernet 22-12-2002 07:42 PM

Gnomon DVDs

Yeah, i really want to get gnomon dvds too...but before i buy them, i want to get used to the basics...that's why i send my payment to purchase the points for me to view and continue the tutorials so i can get more acquainted with the tools and the right methods...i've downloaded mr. mtmckinley nurbs shark I video tut...and i learned a lot...awesome tutorial...can't wait for my points to kick in so i can continue...There is a lot of tutorials out there too if you want to expand your knowledge and save some money in the mean time...Hope you decide what's best for you..

Kevin 22-12-2002 09:54 PM

Re: To Maaya

Quote:

Originally posted by nirsul
As a newbie I can tell you this:

3DBuzz has great videos which are totally free and Jason Busby (The Buzz) is a great teacher and tells you many things that are deep inside the manuals.

www.3dbuzz.com

SimplyMaya is very good and the tutorials are awesome , I just re-paid for another bunch of points and am glad I did , the audio is a bit ..... (did you hear that Kev)

yes I heard mate :)

thats why we are redoing the shark one in a new format mate!

should be fine then, we didnt notice the static until the parts where released as they played through ok on some pcs.

As soon as mikey sorts out his divx settings, all should be good mate :)

3dbuzz 23-12-2002 08:06 AM

Check out our videos for free

We have lots of free videos all you have to do is download them at www.3dbuzz.com

stephen.h1 23-12-2002 11:11 AM

How long is a piece of string?

I believe you could spend up to 3-5 years using one single application (3D prog or what ever) and after this long arduous journey of learning you still have a lot more to learn! In a professional working environment an artist will only use the application to achieve only what is necessary, therefore you rarely get to use all the features one program has to offer. I've been a professional illustrator for 12 years and have only been learning Maya for 1 whole year, my traditional skills have given me a great stride in my advancement in learning Maya and I haven’t touched character animation yet!
When the great oil painter of the last few centuries where studying their trade they did not touch a paint brush for up to 3 years.
To be a Great Master, the proverb "Walk before you try to run" comes to mind. But the only way to become a true master is to sacrifice you family, friend and partners, because you’ll need all the time in the world and more to learn every Maya command.