Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   DT - Female Andriod: Alexia (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26014)

Phrosting 11-05-2007 12:14 AM

that looks awesome man! well done. I also created this android because it was an assignment for my cgi course, i made mine in a "picking nose"pose hehe

mirek03 11-05-2007 06:09 AM

a quick look reveals her as 'hubba hubba?'

hey, Phrosting ,thanks for sharing that with us, why dont you show her to us?? picking her nose?? one wonders what they teach the youth in these trying days :) Or maybe you hate robots, maybe you hate girls :)

farbtopf 11-05-2007 01:17 PM

You know what I'd do to the renders? -nothing! because they look awesome as they are. This is very impressive. :bow:
You said the renders took about 25min, out of curiosity what specs does your machine have?;)

cheers

mirek03 11-05-2007 02:46 PM

im using maya 7 for mine, those presets are not in seven.., forget why Im using 7? must be sentimental

ctbram 11-05-2007 04:23 PM

My system is a 2.8Ghz Athalon based machine with 1.5GB of pc2700 ram (3x512mb) (I think that is ddr333). I have been wanting to bump it to 3x1GB pc3200 / DDR400 ram when I have the money.

The hdri renders take around 20 minutes on a single machine and 10 minutes if I network render. I have 2 systems (pretty much the same specs).

As for using maya 7.0. That is not a bad thing. I have started to be become quite dissapointed in Maya 8.5. I think it is more of a step backward actually. Why? Well for one thing I have discovered a serious memory leak when trying to use hypershade and hardware render mode (keyboard 6). I find if I have hardware shading on and use layered shaders or even a simple shader with a file node and then just do simple things like adjust the coverage properties with each change in the property value maya uses more and more page space until in a very short time maya crashes with the error message - free memory low - memory fault thrown (*). I never had this problem with maya 7.0.

(*)note:

You can test this by turning on task manager (ctl-alt-del and then go to performance. Create a shader like a blinn and attach a file node to the color property then just open the 2d-placement node and start changing properties of the placement node while in hardware render mode (be sure to apply the shader to something in the scene) and watch in horror as your page file usage with each change in the properies goes up and up until maya 8.5 will crash with a low memory error and in some cases you scene file will even get wiped!. Nice huh!?!)

Also, as far as what you gain by going to maya 8.5 is very limited vs what you lose. You get the bridge tool, and limited edge and ring loop selection tools but hell mjpolytools and byron's polytools out perform the ones put into maya 8.5. No renderman support. For the most part all autodesk has done is rename and move things in the gui in an effort to make things more comfortable to max users. Personally I think changing nurbs to surface and polygons to mesh is retarded especially since they did not do it uniformly so you have all four terms scattered about the menus now making things more confusing, for me at least.

And after upgrading to Maya 8.5 I can no longer use byron's polytools and Renderman alnog with a couple other plugins I used to use.

Without getting all whinny and preachy, I really thnk Maya is in need of some serious upgrades to its modeling tools. The features of Drasters Nex should have been brought into maya's modeling tool set ages ago. I don't want to invest in Nex because there is no guarentee it will be supported in future versions of maya. Also, Drasters draconian licensing scheme forces me to buy a copy for each system I use even if I can only use one system at a time. In the immortal words of South Parks Cartmen ... Ghey! I have been playing with both 3ds max and Modo and I am sorry to say they both have a more extensive toolset and more efficient workflow (for modeling). Maya's particle system and animation system still have a slight edge over Max but that gap is closing.

So I guess I did get a bit whinny and preachy but it is out of a passionate desire to see maya improved. As it is everyday I lean more and more toward switching to either Modo, 3ds max or both, even Silo is started to look tempting. If people switch to 3ds max, that is no loss to autodesk, but if they force people to Modo or Silo it will affect their bottom line and that I am afraid is the only thing that will really spur change.

-rant off-