Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What Inspired You To Learn 3d Anim? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2641)

AbsolutelyWhite 12-12-2002 03:28 PM

What Inspired You To Learn 3d Anim?

Well, i really liked...Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Square Pictures, don't forget)
The Monsters Inc.
and other 3d anim movies..so i also kinda liked creating new things in 3d..

What inspired YOU to learn 3d??

Kevin 12-12-2002 03:31 PM

Craig Daughtrey

BulletProof 12-12-2002 03:45 PM

Inspire

A Chrome Ball...over a Chess-Plate...created on a Amiga 500 (8 MHz), 512KByte RAM

Very inspiring

b u l l e t

mtmckinley 12-12-2002 04:17 PM

I was all set to be a comic book penciller until I saw Jurrasic Park. :D That changed everything.

kal 12-12-2002 06:08 PM

Star Wars!! After seeing the Star Destroyer looming over the screen in the opening shot of "a new hope" my mind was made up instantly, though to this day I've never modelled a space ship. took me another 5 years to actually buy my first computer though (which was a sinclair zx80 :D - proudest moment ever) *decides to shut up before going on a speccy reminiscence rant *

Kurt 12-12-2002 06:10 PM

Was an artist from the get go, wasnt making enough money at painting and comics so went into 3d.

iron_tick 12-12-2002 06:20 PM

inspired???....3d is everything LOL.. always is..always was... not LOL. but seriously, i started off as a concept artist then migrated to 3dstudio.

kbrown 12-12-2002 06:36 PM

I've been interested in the field as long as I can remember. But what got me going instead of just saying "wow, that's impossible" was when I saw few 3d pics at school made by some architect student. It looked so realistic and I somehow felt that if those dilberts can do it, why couldn't I? Ever since (1995 I believe) I've been playing with 3D gfx...

doodle 12-12-2002 06:47 PM

Tom & Jerry, Loony Toons and The Simpsons got me into animation, T2:JD & Toy Story made to want to do 3d animation and s/vfx

.:morpher:. 12-12-2002 07:55 PM

same as BulletProof :D
the ball was a must do on the Amiga:D

dannyngan 12-12-2002 07:57 PM

Loony Toons got me interested in animation. Luxo Jr showed me what was possible with good 3D animation. Tron was the kicker for computer graphics in general.

AlphaJoe 19-12-2002 08:46 PM

Tron and Last Starfighter

Both Tron and The Last Starfighter were the ones for me. Both of which I went and saw at the theater. Also, computer games in general. Looking at the dates people are referencing in their posts, I feel like such an old man :D I remember going to the local Ben Franklins and playing Pong for 10 cents. Then came the illustrious Space Invaders, after which I was hooked, even with the hefty 25 cent price tag for playing :).

wolf1306 19-12-2002 10:39 PM

:)

well the only thing that made me like 3d was that no one in my country has ever worked in 3d and especialy maya so it's been 3 years now and i know 3d and no one ever helped me at all , i learned everything alone and through the net and even though i have no money but i put the learning in my head and did it and i like it alot but of course i still need alot of times and times in 3d

tariqrf 20-12-2002 01:13 PM

the sheer power of creativity..... well, no and yes... i used to see arse-kicking animations of tech tv's eye drops... damn!!! that show introduced me to maya and 3d...

TychoCelchuuu 20-12-2002 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kal
Star Wars!! After seeing the Star Destroyer looming over the screen in the opening shot of "a new hope" my mind was made up instantly, though to this day I've never modelled a space ship. took me another 5 years to actually buy my first computer though (which was a sinclair zx80 :D - proudest moment ever) *decides to shut up before going on a speccy reminiscence rant *
You know it was a model, right?

DukerX 20-12-2002 02:30 PM

My first 3D experience was when I bought a CD on a market-place in Tallin, Estonia, on a holiday trip. The CD was a very well made pirated copy of CorelDraw 7.0 (With the booklet and silver backside and a proper face (not printed on a laser/inkjet printer, but the real deal).

In this software package, there was a part called Corel Dream 3D.
I found out this almost a year after I bought the CD.

After reading (the stripped down) documentation on the CD, I started making spheres and cubes, and experimenting with raytracing and such, and that was when I got hooked on 3D.

Then I advanced on to RayDream Studio, wich was a MAJOR leap ahead, cause it had a timeline, and I could make animations!! [COOL].

After some friends of mine saw what I did, they suggested I should use 3DSMax (cant remember wich version they brought me) but it didn't seem to work, due to the fact that I wasn't using NT (wich I found out later).

In this period of time, I never had access to the internet, and was pretty much left to discover things on my own, wich I also did.

After some time, I got my hands on a (pirated) copy of 3DSMax R3, wich had no (little) trouble running in win98, and that was what really got me going.

Then, after reading some MAX tutorials and such, I came across some really neat 3D images and clips, wich was made my a new groundbreaking program called MAYA, and I leave it to you to figure out the rest ;)

-DX-

tariqrf 20-12-2002 02:44 PM

pirates!!!!!

brian_ellebracht 20-12-2002 02:48 PM

For me, It was Jurassic park all the way. :)
BE

brian_ellebracht 20-12-2002 02:49 PM

That probably seems alittle late in the game for you guys, but that came out when I was in 7th grade. :)

tariqrf 20-12-2002 02:54 PM

i am in 8th grade right now....

brian_ellebracht 20-12-2002 03:15 PM

You suck. lol. THats great I didn't get to start working on COmputer animation untill My senior year, but I started working in the field durring my freshman year (in college). :) :) But, I still don't have a demo reel together:banghead: Not enough time!
BRian

DukerX 20-12-2002 03:49 PM

Piracy

tariqrf:

The software mentioned is no longer on my PC, and I've got a legal copy of MAYA, so there's no piracy on my 3D box anymore.
Even got a legal copy of Win2K on it.

brian_ellebracht 20-12-2002 04:30 PM

I have access to legal copies at school and at work

AbsolutelyWhite 20-12-2002 06:33 PM

I am 15 years old now..and i've first saw 3d and played with 3d with a program called 3DFx on a 150Mhz Pc and 1mb Graphics Ram!!!!
I stopped then because of my lack of knowledge on pcs and started now again.....

Have you heard of 3dfx?(i think that was it's name)

AlphaJoe 20-12-2002 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
You know it was a model, right?
I was going to say something, but I just didn't have the heart. I figured, if it gets them into 3D animation, let it be. :D

ragecgi 21-12-2002 02:28 AM

Yeah, I'm old, but TRON did it for me, and then later, the Abyss.

Been in it ever since...

brian_ellebracht 21-12-2002 03:09 AM

The Abyss ruled!!

tariqrf 21-12-2002 03:23 PM

it did take me a long loooong lloooooooooong time to get myself a legal copy of Maya 4 unlim.... damn!!! and 4.5's out... saving for that right now...

the first 3d app i used was 3DSMax 3(pirated :D)... got rid of it coz i felt guilty..... and then i got Maya 4 PLE.. then saved enough money for Maya 4 Unlim

tvholicjames 21-12-2002 05:09 PM

Linking Park!

Wow, look at the community. I am learning 3D because I am a video concentration and want to go to grad school to be the next David Meyer, director for many music videos like Pink, this band who sang Higher etc. His work is all 2D and 3D combined.

Lespaul84 21-12-2002 05:47 PM

When i saw toy story

Hidalgo 21-12-2002 08:34 PM

Jeez!!! When I was 14, Star Wars, A New Hope had been out for a year...

Our 3d graphics were something called matte paintings...

You guys are spoiled!! :)

nirsul 22-12-2002 12:18 AM

I just started in making architectural watercolors and then moved to architectural renderings on the PC and now Maya

Would you believe - I have NVER seen any 3D animation movies or Walt Disney's ?!!

no starwars/shrek/toy story yet

Nir:p :p :p

Rodi 22-12-2002 02:12 AM

Shrek - - - two minutes after I saw it, I was looking on the net informations about 3d programs

tariqrf 22-12-2002 02:52 PM

damn!!! shrek was a totally inspring movie... shrek was the movie that kept me from moving away from 3d

wicket 22-12-2002 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me I always wanted to make movies... Do models, matte painting, pirotech stuff, muppeteer (Inspired from Star Wars)... sigh... Then when I was in like sixth grade I was playing X-Wing (yes the original... I'm that old ;) ) And just sitting there staring at the artwork I was inspired to do games. Then I saw Jurrasic park, Abyss and pretty much every single movie already named plus many more that use it and was hooked back to wanting to do special effects and movies! Same dream, different tools! right M8s?!?! I pretty much started with 3D studio 2 (not max either)Most my originals were pretty sad but I made evey single ship I could from Star Wars and loved it! Moved around through a few different progs Raydream, Max 3 and 4, Animation Master... And here I am with Maya! The rest is history! :)

Here's a screenshot of the first x-wing I made in 6th grade!

wicket 22-12-2002 10:49 PM

P.S. Don't laugh too hard M8s :D

Hidalgo 23-12-2002 06:59 AM

Pretty darn good for, what, eleven years old back then?

Wish there would have been stuff like that around when I was that young...

nice work, sir.

wicket 23-12-2002 07:34 AM

Yeah I actually spent a lot of time on this one... HAHAHA okay now I laughed! That was detail for me back then! Actually what's funny is in the WIP forum I have a thread of my X-Wing in Maya with me saying how I have modeled one in evey prog I've used so far. I only have pics from this, Animation Master and now Maya. Wish I had some from the others... oh well thanks!
Later! Oh and may the force be with you!

mumbojumbo_13 23-12-2002 11:30 AM

for me it was the simpsons. I don't know if any of you watch it anymore but i was in last terms school holidays and they showed the episode where homer goes through the wall and is in the 3D world and now all these great movies are coming out using or made completely in 3d and you just keep wanting to be that good
--
saving for maya 4.5 :D

schmick 23-12-2002 12:11 PM

Babylon 5

god damn that show owned me.