Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Commodore 64 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26417)

DJbLAZER 30-05-2007 09:40 PM

Commodore 64

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to model the Commodore 64 to go along with the tape drive I recently finished. Here's what I got so far. Hardest part is to get the real "curving" of the keys, all rows has a different curve to them (also new keyboards).

ctbram 30-05-2007 11:46 PM

Looks cool. God I loved my commodore 64.

DJbLAZER 30-05-2007 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah the C-64 got me interested in computers... it's da real shiznit :)

Here's some more progress.

DJbLAZER 31-05-2007 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did the side, so I think the modelling is done. I wont bother with the stuff at the back. So I guess the real fun starts now, texturing the keys :headbang:

31-05-2007 12:55 PM

Looks pretty sweet, canÕt wait to see the texturing!
:beer:

marlonjohn 31-05-2007 11:15 PM

Haha! I remembered seeing one of my dads old one in the garage the other day ;) Really liking it blazer ... Especially that oldschool circle plug :) Now its time to use your magic of rendering and this will look marvelous,

keep us posted,

marlon

ctbram 31-05-2007 11:50 PM

Looking really great. How did you model the din connector?

Maya and precision hard surface modeling gives me troubles.

happymat27 01-06-2007 12:39 AM

My first computer was a commodore 64.

Ahh, those were the days, young and care free....

Ahem, sorry.....what I meant to say was...

Great model, I'm sure that you'll do it's texturing and rendering justice too.

Take it easy,

Mat.

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ctbram: The din connector is just a cylinder with about 50 sides. I just manipulated the vertices in the front and deleted some faces. So this one isn't suitable for applying a smooth on. But since I don't need such extreme close-ups it's ok. A wire of everything unsmoothed:

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 04:21 AM

By the way, I'm having trouble finding the font or a font with very high likeness to the font used on the keys. So if anyone happens to know what font or one that looks very alike pleeease let me know. Here's a pic http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/c64/h/front.jpg

t1ck135 01-06-2007 05:48 AM

hehe, quality choice to model :)
I'd forgotten about the on-off switch at the side and the great big power bobble on top. It looks great so far.

Had a quick look for the font but cant seem to find anything :(
In the meantime there's a flash emulator here with elite and some other games if you get bored searching for it:
http://codeazur.com.br/stuff/fc64_final/
Elite manual at:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm#A21

;)
Si

ctbram 01-06-2007 06:51 AM

Thanks for the wireframe. I need to work on some more hard surface models.

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 08:32 AM

t1ck135: Holy crap, that's impressive to emulate at least some bits of the C64 in flash... since flash isn't the fastest thing in the world...

Gonna go throug my about 800 fonts now and see if I find anything... since there are alot of c64-freaks with sites I'm sure there MUST be anyone knowing the name or something aobut the font used. I also couln't find any dimensions of the computer when I searched for it, so now I've just eyeballed it. (since I don't own one myself)

marlonjohn 01-06-2007 08:40 AM

haha thanks for the link tick, im going to be glued to my chair playing galaga all morning ;)

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wen through about 800 fons (in MS Word, took only about 15 mins) and the font that looked most alike was exactly the last font, called Zurich. I'll go with that, dont think I'll find a better one, unless I get the name of the real one.

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I did the top of all te keys. So now's just those strange symbols that I need to create by hand, oooh the humanity!

01-06-2007 01:34 PM

Wow, that looks really good. It would be better if you could do an anti-aliased render though.

arran 01-06-2007 01:44 PM

wow - you've pulled it out again DJbLAZER - this model is looking really cool! i think you might have to do the whole set up - a C64 hard drive and an eighties monitor... and lots of wires! great choice of model.

One thing - you mentioned going through fonts in word - is that the best way to find a font? I'm looking for a certain font at the moment - is there no way to look at an entire font in photoshop as sometimes it comes down to finding a certain letter?....

sorry for the dumb question! thanks

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 02:42 PM

Jr.Who, yeah it probably would look better, since that's no render at all, just a screen shot =)

thanks arran, actually I modelled the front of my old Commodore 1084S monitor for a project some year ago. I just needed a front render, though I could only find a very few image references so I couldn't model the sides and back even if I wanted to.

To look through fonts I think using MS Word is the best way. You type the letters you want to look at in a document (could be the whole alphabet if you want). Then you select the text and go to the font selector. Then you would just use the arrow keys to go through the fonts. Very quick and easy.

gster123 01-06-2007 02:52 PM

Looking really good man! great job.

It was only about 6 months ago that I threw my C64 away, it was stored in the loft for years, games and all, and I was getting rid of stuff before moving, I tried it out but it didnt work, shame.

I rember programming on it, I think if memory serves me correctly that those strange symbols were something to do with characters needed to programme (I remember making an adventure game from a book that I got from the library, copying all the code, took me weeks to do it and then there was loads of bugs, I was only about 8/9 at the time!)

When we going to see a full Maxwell jobbie on it?

I reckon a bit of fun would to have this in your living room scene, attached to your plasma!!

t1ck135 01-06-2007 03:04 PM

I've used this one in the past. You upload an image of the font in question and it checks what fonts are like the one in question. Might be an idea to see if it comes up with the right one ;)
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Si

gster123 01-06-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by t1ck135
I've used this one in the past. You upload an image of the font in question and it checks what fonts are like the one in question. Might be an idea to see if it comes up with the right one ;)
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Si

Superb link Si, Bookmarked!

arran 01-06-2007 03:18 PM

yeah - thanks a lot t1ck! :beer:

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 03:34 PM

gster123: Hehe, I also did my first programming in basic on the C64 when I was about 12. I remember that it was a program in the manual that showed an air ballon with a Commodore logo on it.

Yeah would be nice to hook it up on the plasma... although I don't own one... but I should try play some games with an emulator on the plasma :D

t1ck135: Thanks for the tip! Although I don't have any good images on the font it actually found some pretty close ones. But my choice is so close to the original as you can get (and I'm NOT doing it all over again anyway =)

DJbLAZER 01-06-2007 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, all keys textured and also the side. So now it's just the logo and power that need to be done. And they're not totally flat so I'll model those.

DJbLAZER 02-06-2007 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'm done with the texturing. So now I'm gonna create materials and tweak a nice render in Maxwell. Here's a quick render in Mental Ray:

DJbLAZER 02-06-2007 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a first render from Maxwell. I somehow lost "power"-logo (should be in the right upper corner). And maybe the base should be a litte more brownish. The chrome material doesn't show that well, I'll have to change the lightsources so they get reflected better.

02-06-2007 10:16 AM

Wow, that looks really good! How long did it take to render?

DJbLAZER 02-06-2007 10:31 AM

Thanks, about 2 hours. Originally in 800x600 though.

DJbLAZER 03-06-2007 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last things mentioned fixed. I'll do some dirt and scratches and then I think I'm done.

t1ck135 03-06-2007 03:55 AM

looking very nice DJbLAZER, I like all the little symbols under the main keys (again I'd forgotten about them).
A bit of a worn look around the case will definitely add that extra realism like on your datasette.

I remember programming a pumpkin sprite by creating a chart and working out all the bit/byte values to get the sprite dots in position. I then began figuring out how to move the sprite with a joystick but just as I got one axis working we sold the computer and got an Amiga. Unfortunately the manual for Amiga basic was so bad (and therefore hard) that it put me off programming till I left Uni in 98 ;)

Si

Rhetoric Camel 03-06-2007 04:35 AM

wow that looks great. I wish the keyboard I modeled came out looking that clear.

DJbLAZER 06-06-2007 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I added a slight bump to everything so it looks more realistic in close-ups.

DJbLAZER 06-06-2007 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And also almost finished a model I started a long time ago. Just some minor texture/material things I'm gonna change. This is the old classic TAC-2. Gonna use it in the final scene with the 64.

06-06-2007 06:30 PM

Wow, I wish I was that good at lighting and rendering.

younglion 06-06-2007 07:15 PM

very nice work man, can you explain your lighting setup?

DJbLAZER 06-06-2007 07:25 PM

I'm using Maxwell Renderer. I have 3 rectangular lights. Two white and one yellow. And a grey environment that casts a bit of ambient light.

ctbram 06-06-2007 07:48 PM

I know the results look fantastic but I heard maxwell render times are ridiculous. Like 20+ hour renders are normal. Fear of taking days to render a single image has kept me from investigating further. How has your first hand experience been using maxwell?

What is the advantage of using maxwell?

arran 06-06-2007 08:10 PM

Wow!! You are killing me DJ - the joystick is looking fab mate.

Keep it up - looking forward to seeing the final scene!

DJbLAZER 06-06-2007 08:10 PM

These pics took about 5-10 hours. It depends when you think the image is done, the longer it renders, the less noisy image. But yeah around 10-20 hours are normal. But then again, if you render with MR and want the same quality you can't expect to render in 1 hour either.

Pros: Don't have try tons of settings to get a nice render. Almost "press render and wait". You can spend the time tweaking the materials instead.

Cons: It takes time. You can't optimze the renders that much.