Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Detailed Electric Guitar (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26956)

XtremeAMX 18-07-2007 07:15 AM

Detailed Electric Guitar

1 Attachment(s)
I thought it would be nice to do something I never done before. A guitar is it. I decided to do a little bit more of a detailed look. Instead of just having the body shape and then putting the pickups over it, I actually modeled what the guitar would look like in an individual piece. Here is a nice half hour render of a close up.

XtremeAMX 18-07-2007 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tremelo mesh. Done all by looking at my guitar right in front of me.

XtremeAMX 18-07-2007 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just some guitar parts in full pieces.

XtremeAMX 18-07-2007 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some wires for the curious ones.

XtremeAMX 18-07-2007 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And finally the full mesh so far. Still incomplete, 4 hours of work on this.

Jay 18-07-2007 09:47 AM

Hey nice job Xtreme

The detail is very well done so far....

Cheers
Jay

Junkie Inc. 18-07-2007 10:19 AM

Looks good. Can you give some details of how you started this. As I am looking to do the same sort of project. Did you start out with a polygon cube then extrude it out or did you create a custom polygon and extrude that out. Did you just bevel the edges and how did you do the "scooped out bit that is cut out at the rear of the guitar to allow to sit comfortably against your body?

Sorry for all the questions

XtremeAMX 18-07-2007 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jay - Thank you
Here is a little update with some added parts such as screws and frets.

Junkie Inc. - Allright I'll get you some techniques to get you started. I remember before I modeled anything, the first thing I tried was a guitar and I couldnt get the body right. After doing some car modeling, this was a piece of cake. Allright let me explain some things. There are many ways of modeling a guitar. You can start off with a block and extrude it out to the shape of a guitar. You can just use reference and use a plain and "connect the dots" sort of thing. For this project I particularly used an EP curve tool. Got the shape down and just extruded a plain to the curve. You can use one of those plane tools under the surfaces menu in 8.5. Thats If you are lazy it will make a plane for you out of the curve. I would not recommend that. Sometimes it works, but I like to keep my mesh's vertex just how I want them. Ok now you asked about the bevel. Use what you like. They all work fine. You can either smooth out the body once you added depth, Sub D it, or use the bevel option. I would say use whichever you are more comfortable with. Now for the scoop. First off, if you just want a render, I dont think you need to add that scoop since it will be covered up by the pickups either way. The pickup will stay on top of it. As I did on the neck. Necks have the 6 holes for the tuning pegs. I just left them out because it wont change anything due to an overlap of the pegs on the headstock. But if you must know, there are several way, both which have their problems. The easier way - once you got your mesh down and know you wouldnt modify the body, simply get the shape of the scoop and use the Booleans diference option. Once done, do not try to convert to other options. The harder way - you can actually take out the time and arange your vertices to for the shape of the scoop and then extrude out the scoop. Problem with this is your guitar body won't be so smooth since its a good bet you will have many lines close to each other which will form a sharp edge on the body. So with knowing that, GOOD LUCK!

Perfecto 18-07-2007 10:53 PM

Looking great XtremeAMX!

19-07-2007 12:00 AM

sweet work man could you post a full render fully textured:beer:

AnthonyCg 19-07-2007 01:27 AM

This guitar looks great. Really good details.

XtremeAMX 19-07-2007 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Perfecto - Thank you!

acid44 - Thanx, I want to see it rendered as much as you do. But you must be patient. Its a WIP and I still have some detail to put in before I start rendering. This is 2 days of work so far. You can expect renders soon.

AnthonyCg - Thank you

Here I have added a tremolo bar and the pickup switch. I didnt go crazy with the bar as it would be a dark color either way. Heres the update.

XtremeAMX 19-07-2007 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yet, another update. The plugin jack and the tremolo locking bridge is complete. Now only left with the tuning pegs and the back panels to have the completed guitar.

Junkie Inc. 19-07-2007 08:06 AM

XextremeAMX

Thanks for the tips. Guitar looks really good

arran 19-07-2007 12:39 PM

this is looking very nice XtremeAMX :beer:

the bend in the tremelo bar is looking a little sharp though - maybe a bevel where it changes direction could help soften it a bit?

looking forward to seeing some textures...

XtremeAMX 19-07-2007 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanx for the comments guys.

arran - At first I wanted it to have that nice sharp edge. I looked at my guitar again and realized it isnt that sharp. Its a bit smoother now, check last image.

Here I have added the back pannels and the neck screws with pannel. Also some shark inlays. Now just the tuning pegs left as well as the strings.

XtremeAMX 20-07-2007 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Allright, with some tedious work, I have completed the pegs. I might have left out a tiny cylinder shaped thing on the back of the peg, but it doesnt really matter. So here everything is finished except those strings. You guys can expect renders soon. And take a look at the last image of the completed guitar so far.

C&C welcome.

wasatch5_sparticus 20-07-2007 11:46 AM

That's looking totally sweet so far!! I like it a lot! As was said, great attention to detail. KUTGW

Sparticus

t1ck135 20-07-2007 01:22 PM

looking very nice XtremeAMX, cant wait to see it textured and rendered :)

Si

XtremeAMX 20-07-2007 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wasatch5_sparticus - THANK YOU!!!

t1ck135 - thank you, and you dont need to wait, here are some renders.

Still experimenting with materials such as the ones for frets, as you can see diferences in some pix. Their reflectivity and environment makes them look white sometimes.

XtremeAMX 22-07-2007 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The full guitar. 2 angles. No strings yet.

XtremeAMX 23-07-2007 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Either my model is horrible or no one has anything to say. Cmon people, good or bad, feedback helps.

Heres one of the finals.

pbman 23-07-2007 02:36 PM

ill be honest

u have a really nice nodel with great detail but the render leaves much to be desired

the textures need some work also

for the wood on the neck use a program called wood workshop which u can google to create hi res tilable textures
the wood on urs looks too stretched

the metal i think is too reflective
they are plian not really reflecting anything/stands out a little too much

not sure about the blue colour but thats beacause i dont like white , red or blue guitars
i also think its shader need a little work

also dont forget the strings

i too am working on a guitar here
a gibson les paul - would appreicate ur comments since ur also modelling a guitar

edit: junk inc. another technique is to create a polygon plane, scale so it is biger that ur reference an inncreae the no of subdivions in the channel box, use the split poly tool to trace a rough outline delete unwanted faces clean up any triangles and extrude up ,(also before u extrude up move the verts around so they follow the lines of the guitar)- just thought u might like to know another technique
pbarnes

XtremeAMX 23-07-2007 09:50 PM

Thanks for the input. I have only 2 textures on the model. The one is stretched out and it looks very similar to the one on my guitar. Perhaps it is stretced but its not noticable from a distance. Thanx for the tip on program. Now you mention the metal. Well, I have a chrome bridge and knobs. The are quite reflective. Since my scene is set up with a bright light, there will be lots of reflectivity. I dont think its too reflective and the paint, to me looks just fine. I am not the best with nodes and rendering, when I do look from a distance at the picture that I rendered, it looks quite real to me.

Turbo Dan 23-07-2007 11:15 PM

a strap would make it look much more realistic. with anything ridgid bodied, if there is some type of soft body object in the scene it adds realism.

a strap would be perfect.

the last render looks nice.

i would like to see a bit darker of a shadow on it tho.

and more detail on the pickups, i dont see any metal whatever you call it on the pickups, conductors or whatever.

and maybe an electric cord comming out of the guitar, or unplugged beside the guitar all coiled up or just going out of the screen. that would also add some pa-zaz

XtremeAMX 24-07-2007 07:06 AM

You got a point there. Something soft would be nice. Some guitars are modeled on a cloth. But a strap means unrealism to me. Everytime I would render a different angle, I would need to move the strap in a different spot. Now as far as pickups go, you must have been mistaken. These pickups are EMGs (humbucking) they are attached to a plastic piece and I'm sure It has a thin plastic cover. No metal pieces are involved except the screws. You are thinking of other ones.

You must be thinking of these: http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...4c36284fb0.jpg

While I modeled these: http://content.answers.com/main/cont...0px-EMG_85.jpg

That said, I will think of something soft to add.

pbman 24-07-2007 11:29 AM

pick ups
yeah emgs are nice setup - i cant see from ur render but on them in one corner have 'EMG' printed as i say i cant see so u may have already done this

also u say u ahve a guitar take a pic of it in its stand then one of the stand without it in then comp ur guitar in and use the first pic as reference as what the shadow depth, strength and colour should be
u then can include ur amp and lead in this which will make a real nice image at the end

gster123 24-07-2007 12:31 PM

I've got to agree with PB man the rendering and texturing need a bit of work at the moment its a bit blown out and too perfect with regards to colours, also the texture on the neck is far to large, and it need a bit of a bump.

If it was me I would add an environment to start with so that you can see the reflections as at the mo theres nothing to reflect so the chrome looks white.

with my Les Paul I mainly used photo textures, think that the only procedural was the plastic and the chrome, everything had a bump and most had a fresnell effect to them, really adds to it.

With something like this where youve put in the time in modeling youve got to di it justice with the texturing and rendering, its a paint but at the end of the day it will be worth it for the praise you'll get off your mates!!

Good luck!

Junkie Inc. 24-07-2007 11:33 PM

I think it looks good. Reminds of the Charvel/Jackson guitars and of the Ibanez that I have. Good job this thread is good as it is exactly what i'm looking to start to model and I am getting great tips from all the posts.

Thanks PB for extra tips its always good to get different ways to do stuff then I can see what works best for me and incorporate into my workflow.

Junkie Inc. 24-07-2007 11:44 PM

I think it looks good. Reminds of the Charvel/Jackson guitars and of the Ibanez that I have. Good job this thread is good as it is exactly what i'm looking to start to model and I am getting great tips from all the posts.

Thanks PB for extra tips its always good to get different ways to do stuff then I can see what works best for me and incorporate into my workflow.

t1ck135 25-07-2007 11:51 AM

you're going in the right direction with this one XtremeAMX, you just need to push the texturing that little bit more :)

The neck and fretboard look too perfect at the minute and could do with some variation to the surface material to slightly detract from the wood.
The body colour is nice and stands out well but as someone already mentioned it is too reflective.
You'll definitely be onto a winner with a little more effort :)

Si