Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Ghost in the shell (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28032)

leonlabyk 02-11-2007 07:52 AM

Ghost in the shell

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to get away from anatomy for a while and am gonna try and re create this scene.

leonlabyk 02-11-2007 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having spent this morning on this I have managed to block out the majority of things in maya and am importing them into z-brush as sub tools. Will begin sculpting and texturing once I have all the geometry completed.

AikoWorld 02-11-2007 07:55 AM

hey nice start man. would it not be interesting for future interests that you build it in T-pose?

So you can do like maybe rig it, animate it, create other poses?

But cool man. cant wait to see the finishing results

leonlabyk 02-11-2007 08:13 AM

You are totally correct about rigging it in a T-pose but I have no intentions to animate this. I am just trying texture and render this scene and want some practice with z-brush 3 and sub-tools.

cheers,

Leon

mirek03 02-11-2007 03:14 PM

you modeled it in this pose?? i thought it would be easier to model in a T pose just to pose it in general even with no thought of animation and also modelling would be easier.., you only have to model one half in a T pose and then instance it or scale it in the negative direction..,

very fine looking model and the city scape is what im interested in.., hope we see some wires on that!

cool and ambitious..,

gohan1842 02-11-2007 03:18 PM

Coming along nicely so far. I agree about the T-Pose. I highly recommend modeling in a T-Pose for the simple reasons that mirek has stated. For one you just have to model half of it. Also, you don't have to model the flexed muscles.

It can be a pain to try and get it to look right if you're trying to model as is.

DJbLAZER 02-11-2007 03:26 PM

On the other hand getting a perfect rig can be more time consuming than modeling both sides. All extreme bending, rotations etc. will have to be messed with a lot to get it look realistic. And in ZBrush it's pretty easy to change a pose anyways even if the model isn't rigged for real.

arran 02-11-2007 04:00 PM

cool - looks like a nice start leonlabyk - maybe the face is a little long?

mirek03 02-11-2007 04:05 PM

ill be looking into Z Brush when uni is finished.., because this is a nice model and well.., yea. nice

leonlabyk 02-11-2007 04:54 PM

Cheers for the comments guys much appreciated. With regards to the comments surrounding the pose, she was in a standard T pose. I then I brought her into zbrush to try out the new transpose tool which allows you to pose your character. I am unsure if you can use the transpose with sub tools so then exported the low res back into maya and blocked out the clothing. I may use the other model of her in the t pose to try and create the image from the poster with all those crazy plugs and wires. Still I am going to have to get this done before I can think about that though

Arran, yeah I am going to create some hair as a subtool and will hopefully get a better idea of whats going on.

Cheers,

Leon

Some Guy 02-11-2007 09:46 PM

This should turn out good.
The character needs alot of work on the proportions. At the moment i think the legs are off and the whole character needs to be a bit thicker (especially around the legs)
it'd probably be easier to model it in the T pose (in my opinion) but whatever works for you is fine.

arran 02-11-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Some Guy

The character needs alot of work on the proportions. At the moment i think the legs are off and the whole character needs to be a bit thicker (especially around the legs)

there are quite a few weird things going on in the original drawing - the lower half of her body looks a lot bigger than her top half - not sure if that's cos they want the feeling of looking up at her, or if they just want you to admire her butt...

AikoWorld 03-11-2007 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i dont know if you are familiar with anime, but the japanese characters/drawings always have longer legs then human like characters.

And this image looks like anime

Attached the image.

leonlabyk 03-11-2007 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the crits guys they have will all be taken into account while I work on this.

Small update

leonlabyk 03-11-2007 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have begun blocking out the city. Still a lot of work to do on the buildings although I am going to try and keep them as simple as possible. I hope that the lighting and texturing will gave them the look I am hoping to achieve.

arran 03-11-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AikoWorld
i dont know if you are familiar with anime, but the japanese characters/drawings always have longer legs then human like characters.

sure, i know anime - i just still think the image looks weird. :)

nice start on the city! how are you doing the reflections?

leonlabyk 03-11-2007 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The reflections are on a simple plane with an ocean shader attached. The water will still need some tweaking in order to get the correct results.

Small update before I go to work.

leonlabyk 03-11-2007 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
update on the city. Gonna have all of tomorrow to work on this so I hope to get the majority of the scene completed. Still a lot of buildings to add.

leonlabyk 04-11-2007 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am unsure if I am going about the lights in the best way. I am simply creating small objects and applying various shaders with different amounts of glow. If anyone knows better ways to go about this that will give better results please let me know.
I have also been working on the water to try and get the right look and don't think it is to far off now. Hopefully the buildings will look a lot better once they have some decent textures assigned.

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon

arran 04-11-2007 03:39 AM

this is coming along really fast - great job mate. i think you're going about the lights in the right way - you might want to play with the incandescence as well.

the water looks really good - well done! :beer:

leonlabyk 04-11-2007 03:41 AM

Cheers Arran much appreciated mate. I will keep working at the lights as I am and see how it all comes together.

GioChrono 05-11-2007 03:57 AM

Looking nice.

Keep it up

Gio

leonlabyk 06-11-2007 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't had much time to work on this since I have had a load of work come in that will keep me busy till january if I get it. Anyhow I have managed to make some time to get the scene pretty much done and just need to work on the textures now and tweak the lighting. The main part now is to finish Motoko, and get her ready to bring into the scene so I can get a decent render. Hopefully I will be able to make time to get this done soon.

Cheers,

Leon

gster123 06-11-2007 08:40 PM

Looking realyl good Leon, the ocean looks great with the cityscape there.

leonlabyk 06-11-2007 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers gster much appreciated. Just brought the low res of Motoko in from zbrush to get an idea of the composition. Think I am going to need to do a bit of work on the pose but rekon things should start to come together once she is textured and I have sculpted in all the details. Still not sure how to go about the hair. At the moment it is just a poly object and was thinking about simply sculpting and texturing it to try and get a good result. When ever I have tried to use the maya hair system I have never been able to get anything remotely decent. I am currently using maya 8.5 and if any of you have any suggestions as to how to go about the hair it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Leon

gster123 06-11-2007 09:36 PM

for long hair, I make a series of curves that make the hair style then lorf them as a nurbs surface then go as you would to insert lots of isorpams selecting the isoproams that are already there then create curves form selected, then I attach a hair system with a paint FX brush to the curves that have been made.

You can then mess about with the hair settings to get it looking like you want, and ifyou need to restyle it you just use adjust the nurbs surface, as the history will update the hair curves positions.

Just hide the nurbs surface at render time, you might need to render in passes as hair can really hammer your system

leonlabyk 06-11-2007 09:51 PM

Thanks gster, I will give it a go once I have the pose set up and see if I can finally get some decent results.

leonlabyk 10-11-2007 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers for the tips gster. Finally managed to get something that resembles hair, although it still could do with some work.

leonlabyk 10-11-2007 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to far off now. Still need to texture the gun + need to work on her top in zbrush, and need to get those buildings textured as well.

DJbLAZER 10-11-2007 07:20 PM

Great work. Only thing that I don't quite like is the pose. She looks stiff, not natural. Try to get a more natural look for the pelvis and arms.

leonlabyk 11-11-2007 10:40 PM

I completely agree Djblazer. I have just discovered how to use the transpose tool with multiple subtools so I should be able to sort out the pose very soon.

Cheers,

Leon Labyk

SpaceGoat 14-11-2007 11:34 PM

I liked the water you had before. Looked very natural so please keep it ;)

My only complaint would be like said the character pose and some of the model. Remember with the pose things should look to be affected by gravity so shoulders should be lower etc. The breasts also look unnatural and should be a more 'tear drop' shape like in the original image.

Here's an edit of how you could possibly fix it :)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4397/fixdg8.jpg

leonlabyk 15-11-2007 08:38 AM

I have sorted out the pose but am having trouble moving the hair into place. I have created the hair using curves but when I select everything and try moving it the curves are not following properly. I assume this is why once I get the hair where it should be in the viewport it is rendering as if it is where the curves are. If anyone can help fix this problem it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Leon

AikoWorld 15-11-2007 08:53 AM

Go to your outliner and try moving other parts that are connected to the hair system, i dont think with hair you can group them and move it. But you could try.

Try something like this.

evil_milk 15-11-2007 09:03 AM

The city background is nice

wod 15-11-2007 11:38 AM

very nice, no real crits just whats been said about the pose... i like the ocean, lit very well.. is it just the maya ocean shader?

keep it up

leonlabyk 15-11-2007 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your help Aikoworld got it sorted.

Wod, yes it is simply a maya ocean shader.

Spacegoat I prefer the water how it is at the moment but I will get a render how it was before if you would like me to.

Here is a render of the new pose + I have textured the largest building in the city. The left arm is still looking a bit tight though and is going to need some more work.

Thanks all for your comments they are much appreciated.

leonlabyk 16-11-2007 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the composition looking a lot better.

leonlabyk 17-11-2007 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Small update.

AikoWorld 17-11-2007 04:26 AM

comparing on what she is standing on and the character lighting, it seems that you have to switch the lighting down on the character or up the lighting on what she is standing on.

You got something reel cool here man.