Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SP3 knocks vista into next week (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28783)

24-01-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Nah there like the 10.X updates, but not every year like apple as MS get it sorta right first time and dont need multiple bites of the cherry, haha!!
Why do you keep saying they're "bites of a cherry?" Every version was a big release (at least, they were bigger than Vista). Yeah, Microsoft may have got it right the first time, but 6 years later they finally try a second time and get all their customers crying about how terrible it is.

publicFunction 24-01-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elephantinc
TO GET sp3 i just searched on google for:
download sp3 xp
its the first hit

BETA Version...

I use Auto Updates and it has not made a show yet on the RSS feeds for Home or Business either. As far as I can tell its not an official release yet.

elephantinc 24-01-2008 08:57 PM

oh
i dint know that..............
dammit im wrong again
its been a bad week for me

anyway the beta version really does make a difference

The Architect 25-01-2008 04:18 AM

On the subject of Windows XP, I was going to use Maya for a while after boring myself with a Linux security book, but it crashed while booting and refused to start afterwards. I don't know why people don't have problems with Windows. :)

Looks like its gonna be a reinstall. Its pointless to fix Windows, it will just break in the next week or so.

Does anyone know when the SP3 will become official? I might try it.

vladimirjp 25-01-2008 06:00 AM

vista SP 1 is on its way. so im not feeling too bad about switching just yet.

i turned off all the bells and whistles and make it runlike xp runs, and it uses a lot less resources. i have 32bit with OC ddr2 ram 4gb and running athlon X2 5000+

publicFunction 25-01-2008 08:15 AM

Vald,

you have the key element for running Vista. RAM, but folks be aware, Vista takes 1/2 of whateva amount of RAM you have for itself and only releases what it needs to. SO your 4Gb will turn into 2 as soon as the OS runs.

Go back to 2000 I say, best OS MS have ever had.

The Architect 25-01-2008 09:01 AM

2000? The most insecure version of NT ever!

There's this service or protocol meant for recieving 'useful' messages from Microsoft (probaly ads and stuff) but has been used to send pop up spam and malware. Seriously, your computer will get owned in minutes! Used to use 2000 before XP and I had to block it with the firewall, but it still eats your network bandwidth. Evil!! :rant:

publicFunction 25-01-2008 09:24 AM

I used 2000 for over 6 yrs both at home and at work, and I never had any of the issues you had.

2000 was the most stable systems MS have made to date, thats why it was the best. And SP4 sorted out 99% of the problems. No one will ever create a 100% secure OS. It will never happen, thx to the worlds pool of reverse engineers.

TBH u sound like one of the many MS haters out there lol.

The Architect 25-01-2008 09:39 AM

Maybe its confined geographically, who knows?

Security you say?

*mumbles incoherently*

...netfilter/iptables... dac... aide... mac... tin foil...

lol :beer:

gster123 25-01-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Why do you keep saying they're "bites of a cherry?" Every version was a big release (at least, they were bigger than Vista). Yeah, Microsoft may have got it right the first time, but 6 years later they finally try a second time and get all their customers crying about how terrible it is.
If there so "big" then why are they not full versions, they are bites of the cherry to try and get it right, oh and you pay for them.

That previous commest was meant to be a joke BTW

25-01-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

If there so "big" then why are they not full versions, they are bites of the cherry to try and get it right
What do you mean they weren't "full" versions? Because it didn't take them 6 years to make one they aren't counted as a step forward?

And how did they not get it right? As far as I've seen, each version wasn't a screw up (like the "V" word was ;) ).

publicFunction 25-01-2008 08:42 PM

Vista isnt a screwup its just they way MS wanted the OS too run like that. But I dont enjoy how it runs but its a nicer OS.

gster123 26-01-2008 03:58 PM

If its right then theres no need to keep bringing point updates is there??

Either give the updates free, OR actually say there "full" updates as in 10, 11, 12, 13. How many versions have there been in the 6 years of OSX, its about one a year, which is excessive for an OS, especilly if you have to pay for it.

26-01-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Vista isnt a screwup its just they way MS wanted the OS too run like that. But I dont enjoy how it runs but its a nicer OS.
So you're saying that it isn't a failure because MS has it the way they want it, but everyone else hates it?

Quote:

If its right then theres no need to keep bringing point updates is there??

Either give the updates free, OR actually say there "full" updates as in 10, 11, 12, 13. How many versions have there been in the 6 years of OSX, its about one a year, which is excessive for an OS, especilly if you have to pay for it.

I would rather pay for a major update every year than wait 6 years for a rip-off of what's already been made.

About the major numbering, I don't know why they didn't go that way. I think that OS X has a better ring to it than XI or XII.

publicFunction 26-01-2008 06:58 PM

Yeah Mr WHO.

MS are a corporation and they do want they want not what the public want.

They will be developing a new OS as we speak ready to step into Vistas shoes and once that's launched XP will no longer be supported. This then causes all businesses using XP to Migrate to either Vista or they newer operating system. MS only support 2 live OS's, currently XP and Vista. This also forces all MCP/MCSE/MCSA qualified people to have to resit exams at around £120 per exam and there can be anywhere between 3 - 8 to sit.

Why? Money. So working on that they are not going to do wot everyone else does, they do it their way, I mean its not Burger King (Moto - Have it your way).