Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   IndianaJones (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29188)

mastone 05-03-2008 10:19 PM

IndianaJones

1 Attachment(s)
I got inspired by the new Indiana jones trailer......

Redmer 06-03-2008 06:29 AM

topology of the model looks good
but oh m god what is that above his eyes :eek:
some big ass eyebrows i have ever seen :D

louis56 06-03-2008 07:54 AM

Jeez indi. U need an eyebrow wax

mastone 06-03-2008 04:44 PM

Indy has been away for about twenty years so i don't think it's a bad represententation of how he could look.........LOL

Have a little faith guys..;)

Thanks for the replies though, i know that deep inside you really mean well :)

mastone 06-03-2008 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been fiddling around with his face some more.
With the second picture i have drawn some simple lines in photoshop to give myself an idea how it would look when i applied hair on his face.

C en C are welcome offcourse

NeoStrider 06-03-2008 08:36 PM

it looks great so far... without the fur you can totally see the resemblance to harrison ford. (well the smoothed half, anyway :P)

i'd say keep working on the model for detail and use texturing for the stubble and eyebrows. the fur totally doesn't work.

NeoStrider 06-03-2008 08:38 PM

damn you posted that while i was typing my response!

indy usually only has a 5 o'clock shadow, which honestly is hairs that are shorter than one millimeter... you're lookin at stuff that's too long and pronounced. i still think a textured scruff would do better.

louis56 07-03-2008 12:07 AM

Man that actually does look like harry. (We're on first name basis me and harrison) :p

mastone 07-03-2008 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reply guys;)

@neostrider;

I will probably paint/sculpt his unshaved look in Zbrush with a combination of displacement and texturing.

@louis;
If you know Harrison ford so well, could you ask him to send me good front and side images that are 100% accurate.
That would be great, thanks............LOL

mastone 07-03-2008 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been reshaping around the eyes, i personally think it looks a lot better

louis56 08-03-2008 03:31 AM

looking good. Yeah ill ask him tomorrow although he is busy man :p

mastone 10-03-2008 03:13 PM

And when do i get the pictures then mate? lol

mc-fleury 11-03-2008 04:51 AM

damn! its been like 1 years old since i last post here but i had to write stg about his eyebrow. ITS sooooo funny lool! you should let that like this! kidding...

LadySekhmet 12-03-2008 10:28 AM

The ears look a bit too far out, shouldn't be any space between the face and the ear.

Looks very nice...and yes, I agree that indy should have a "gruff" look to him...like he's been through several battles. Can't wait to see the end result.

mastone 16-03-2008 05:38 PM

@ mc-fleury; I'm glad you liked the hair :)
@ LadySekhmet; I know and your right about the ear, i just made a rough model that sort of looked like an ear, to see a sort of overall look of the model to see what i still need to do.
But thanks for your reply:beer:

I hadden't much time to work on indy the past week(s), due to workstuff, but i hope i have some time this weekend and monday to work on it and make some real progress..

digidan 19-03-2008 01:09 PM

the ear could be a little bigger tooi think.not as big as your yoda's ears though.;)

mastone 19-03-2008 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could be right about the ears there dan, so i will look into that , but for now my small progress....

mastone 25-03-2008 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been fiddling around with Indy some more, I'm not happy with the hat so i will probably redo it.
I've mad the ears a bit larger and placed them a little better.
C&C is welcome:beer:

mastone 03-05-2008 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted here for a while due to some hardware problems i had, which caused several maya shutdowns an hour.
But today everything worked again so here's my progress;

I've started with the body, i layed out uv's of the head and fiddled around in zbrush and i luckily picked it up in notime again (not that i am an ace brusher, now)
C en C is welcome off course

mastone 03-05-2008 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the head.................

mastone 04-05-2008 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried painting the texture using the zprojectbrush today i had a hard time finding good refferencephoto's for the texture (front and side images which aren't overlit, or very tiny), so i had to rotate the model till it matched the refference photo.

C en C is welcome

mastone 20-06-2008 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fiddled around with ZBrush some more and i have to say i think i have it right this time.
Let me know what you guys think.

I was also wondering how you paint textures in ZBrush, so that the color is 1 to 1 in photoshop/maya, it also seems that the color seem to differ when i switch materials in ZBrush(so when i choose pink as a color it can change a lot depending on the underlying material.

gster123 26-06-2008 08:52 AM

Choose something like the fast shader and then flood it white and go form there.

If you want to see the RAW clour without any of the material showing through theres a plain colour material (nest to the fast chader I think, that will show just the colour map.

mastone 07-01-2009 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it's been awhile, but i didn't have the time to work on it (excuses, excuses)
i departed ZBrush for a while(love the program but somehow i can work a bit more accurate when in maya ) and i went back into Maya to work on the basemesh for a bit.
I also started modeling a church between refining indy and sleep :)

I think i have the shape of his face right this time(nose needs some work aswell as his ears), but maybe a fresh pair of eyessay otherwise :)

C and C is welcome:beer:

shon8000 07-01-2009 07:06 PM

hehe that eyebrow picture was just priceless, made my day :D great work :)

mastone 08-01-2009 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah that eyebrow thingy is going to follow me for quite some time, i think :p

I have been tweaking some more today( see picture)

I also stumbeld upon something strange when i export the model as an OBJ and import it in to ZBrush somehow the mesh was different(i matched al the settings in Zbrush, camera lens focal length, image/documentsize), It looked like sort of a mix between the model and the UV map, maybe some of you guys have stumbeld upon this aswell otherwise i will post an example image tomorrow.

C and C is welcome :beer:

mastone 09-01-2009 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
progres............. :)

mastone 10-01-2009 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think i got the shape of his face bang on now :)

I saw an amazing Indy the other day on CG talk, absolutely superb texturing, to bad his upperface wasn't that good and the hat's a bit off but otherwise it would be him;

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...hlight=indiana

Needless to say i don't go to CG Talk anymore, it's not good for my ego (LOL)

gster123 11-01-2009 09:25 AM

Its looking closer but the ear throws it off it looks stuck on rarther than organicly there.

mastone 11-01-2009 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@gster;
" ...the ear throws it off it looks stuck on rarther..."

-that's probably because it wasn't attached yet at the time;)

I've dabbed my hand in creating realistic textures today and this is the best i got out of it for today....

mastone 17-01-2009 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wasn't to happy with the shape nor the texture, so at work i used an avid editmachine to capture a couple of TGA sequences from the dvd(headturning/expressions etc) and used Fcheck on my other monitor to match the model with what i sawI(or as good as)
I also played arround with shaders and the below is a result of a tweaked ambient occlusion shader (just for fun).
Let me know what you guys think the good and the bad
:beer:

mastone 17-01-2009 01:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tiny update

mastone 17-01-2009 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yatta!!!!(heroes joke):beer:

99GsTurbo 17-01-2009 11:03 PM

looking just like him...great job...i wish i could organic model like that

Chirone 18-01-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
Yatta!!!!(heroes joke):beer:
nice one :P

mastone 18-01-2009 10:25 AM

Thanks guys.

" looking just like him...great job...i wish i could organic model like that ".

Just pick a subject you like gather as much visual reference as you can get try to get stuff with similar focal lengths
If you have the money make sure to have two monitors so you have your refernce next to your workspace and last don't make the mistakes i usually make and that is trying to do all of it in one hour, just start around the eyes work through the nose the mouth then start blocking in the rest, matching up your sourceimages and not like i have a neck for doing it and that's that i think i know how some feature looks but when i compare it at last with my visual reference it doesn't match(the memory is a tricky thing and things aren't always as you remember
I also use a mirrored smooth proxy so i can preview the smooth mesh and when everything is done i tweak stuff with the artisan brush.

Everytime i think i have made the most awesome model ever i go to CGtalk for a while go back to my model and will tweak some more (keeps a man humble and one can only learn from a humble position LOL):beer:

mastone 18-01-2009 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oke Guys

I finally figured out how to do the textures properly(if anyone has a well lit side view for me it will be much appreciared)
It did cost me a weekend

It's awesome even if i say so myself !!!yatta!!! :attn:

When i applied the frontview on it i only had to scale the uv's down--- no warping or fiddling with the damn clone stamp

paldav 18-01-2009 09:39 PM

Now that is what proper cg is about!

Fantastic:eek:

honestdom 18-01-2009 09:50 PM

i think you should turn the primary visibility off on your HDRI. the texture looks good so far tho.

I guess you are doing the texture projection thing in zbrush is that right?

I think if you are making a texture that way, it could be difficult to get the colour correct. if you are using references from two different sources they will have different light sources etc.

also... are you going to do the scar?

mastone 18-01-2009 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@Paldav thanks :beer:
@Hammer horror;
No i'm doing it in PS i have done textures in Zbrush, i work it both ways
I always turn off IBL prim visibility, but it seemed flat

" I think if you are making a texture that way, it could be difficult to get the colour correct."
-your absolutely right

"are you going to do the scar"

See image