Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   IndianaJones (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29188)

mastone 28-08-2009 12:49 AM

"is it just me or is he a bit cross eyed?"

No you are correct, but the strange thing is when i look at the wire of the eyes in topview and eyeball them along the grid they are perfectly aligned I can off course rotate them to align them using IPR but I really want to know what's the matter with it but that can wait until i finish up I guess.

Good eye though not many people see it (or they aren't looking with their "evil" eye LOL)

DJbLAZER 28-08-2009 11:09 AM

The eyes shouldn't be aligned with the grid, that's why he look crossed eyed. Human eyes are rotated outwards about 3 degrees.

mastone 28-08-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
The eyes shouldn't be aligned with the grid, that's why he look crossed eyed. Human eyes are rotated outwards about 3 degrees.
Hey thanks think that solved my problem there whoehoe:attn:

mastone 29-08-2009 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have uved him properly,I imported his clothes from a previous scene had to scale them a bit .

I like his overall form/silhouette but i absolutely don't like the details they are to undefined so tomorrow I will start again with his clothes.
I have rotated the eyes , made the hat bigger en did some real minor adjustments

mastone 29-08-2009 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Incase some of you want to see below a wire of his body and the uv layout.
I had to make a choice between fewer pieces or more uv space for the head I actually had his body complete without any obvious seams(only a couple around the back of his head and under the arms), In the end I decided to cut the uv map in portions and make more room for his head since that is where most of the focus will be

mastone 30-08-2009 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got started in ZBrush............

mastone 02-09-2009 11:00 PM

"Well mate ... it's very bad not to layout your uv's... In my opinion the work flow must be straight

modeling
layout uvs
Zbrushing
Normal mapping if need
texturing... shading "

Yeah I thought so at first aswell but there are people who approach a character different;
Model a basemesh in maya
do an auto map on all basemeshes
then go to zbrush or mudbox and do a highres sculpt for normalmap creation and the likes then go back to maya do a retopology of the highres mesh so that the normal map baking works.
They layout uv's on the retopologized mesh properly and bake all their maps onto the lowres model.
I had the hardest time figuring out how they got the colortexture over to the lowres mesh, but it seems they don't use zbrush for texturing mainly Photoshop.

I find this workflow a bit of a mixed blessing I like the fact that you can import meshes at will to add to your model and worry about edgeloops and topology for animation later I hate the fact i can't seem to use ZBrush as the main colortexture app (fyi I suck at photoshop)

ColdWave 02-09-2009 11:07 PM

Why not i colored my models using Zbrush. Yeah i switch to use sometimes photoshop + zbrush but in main Zbrush. For non organic i use Photoshop...

Yeah different people different work flow but this is the best for me ... :)

And when you are working with tide dates lats say " You must make a whole model and animate it into 2 days" This work flow you mention going back and forward between Zbrush and Maya really slow down the things sometimes something bug out and it's just :angery: .... So i prefer to take time into Maya -> Uv unwrap -> Zbrush - > Normal map -> Color map -> AO ... and so on ...

Just my work flow.

The dominance war IV winner have different he make 1st the high poly in Maya and on the high poly he make the low poly with triangles ... i will try this work flow aswell !!!

mastone 03-09-2009 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't to happy with the last image it made him look like a chocolate version of dr Jones., I've made some adjustments to the original model and premade some geometry I could add as subtools(like pockets and such to get the hard edges and to split stuff up)

mastone 04-09-2009 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The last ZBrushrender of today :)

Chirone 04-09-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
is it just me or is he a bit cross eyed?
ah yes, that's what i meant

you're pretty good with the zbrush mastone, nice work :)

i assume you're going to get round to changing the armpit on his shirt later :)

daverave 04-09-2009 07:50 PM

Hi mastone
I wonder if you could get good result on skin using the texture layer shader, if you look at the link bellow you will see what I mean ..............hope this is some help dave

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showt...ghlight=muriel

mastone 05-09-2009 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@chirone; thanks and he isn't crosseyed anymore thanks to that excellent tip I got from DJ Blaze

@daverave; You mean if I could do it or is it a question in general, only joking offcourse .
For your information in maya it's called a subsurfacescattering shader and to be quite honest I have never done a character with this thing did a testrender of a grape once with sss, I will definitely give it a serious go, who knows maybe I"ll learn from it, thanks for the heads up

I have did a couple of stuff all over the model and various subtools trying to layer in the details, let me know what you guys think i also did some small reshaping and detailing of his face and made some asymmetry in it

mastone 05-09-2009 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And an overview

daverave 06-09-2009 01:32 PM

Hi again
I think your model looks great, the is a free tutorial on fast skin (found out the name after you pointed me in the right direction) at gnomon work shop looks very full tutorial you just have to signe in (free) dave

ColdWave 06-09-2009 01:53 PM

ok mate ... you have some really eye kicking mistakes @ the cloth the flow of the clothe @ the hands must not be like that ... and the pants is the same use some google reffs of how the cloth behave on human...

Fix this and go on :)

Mayaniac 06-09-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ColdWave
... you have some really eye kicking mistakes
LMAO! What would we do without Coldwave?

There would be no reason to come to the forums without him.

A agree that some of the cloth needs a bit of work, but it's not that bad right now. The only thing that still gets me is the fact he seems to have a small body (torso) under that shirt. I think he might need plumping up some.

ColdWave 06-09-2009 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Mayaniac
LMAO! What would we do without Coldwave?

There would be no reason to come to the forums without him.

MayaNIAC i never make some bad comments or been rude to you right ? So don't make fun of me coz i'm not in good mood. OK ? This is not your first time you know!

on the thread

I make fast sketch up

Red spots = need work with the flow. Main mistake is your cloth flow end ... they are too sharp just stand up and check out how your shirts edge flows end up. Yes there is some strength but yours is too much.

Green spots = good flow just keep it like that.

What i mean is try to think how the cloth will fall. His hands are in T pose so the cloth will do like in picture 2.
The big part of the sleeve will be going down and the upper part will fallow the arm structure.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION I MAY BE VERY WRONG SO IF YOU THINK SO DON'T LISTEN TO ME.

Is that ok for you Mayaniac ?

I make everything a bit fast but i think you get what i mean.

p.s I know you are working hard mastone and you want to get into the industry ( or you don't ) so i give critics to be better ... if you find my critics wrong ok. If i helped it's cool i'm not the best artist you know me ... but i'm trying just like you .... Keep it up... I won't post again !

mastone 06-09-2009 07:03 PM

Hey please people take a chill pill please very long toes here

@ daverave;
thanks

@ Mayaniac;
I really don't want to make him to buff like superhero buff just a regular joe with a bullwhip :)

@Coldwave;
Thanks for your comments and yes I want to get into the industry (not at all costs however I want to enjoy what I do so rather fun stuff at a small studio than pointless grueling work at a large studio where you are a number),
I appreciate the comments I don't get the drawover to be quite honest I agree with you however that there is still something not right with the look of the model.
I have made some progress but I had a ZBrush crash so it got lossed :angery:
And just relax mayaniac doesn't mean it like that :)

Chirone 06-09-2009 09:13 PM

sweet work mastone! i wouldn't have noticed the funkyness in the cloth if it wasn't pointed out because i thought it was good as it is/was :p

Quote:

Originally posted by ColdWave
MayaNIAC i never make some bad comments or been rude to you right ? So don't make fun of me coz i'm not in good mood. OK ? This is not your first time you know!
he was saying you're funny like a comedian and that you're a good reason to come because you give such interesting comments ;)
mayaniac isn't one to be sarcastic on the forums

honestdom 06-09-2009 09:22 PM

i like it. :)

...he could have a bit of a camel tail developing if you are not careful!

ColdWave 06-09-2009 09:23 PM

If it is like that sorry i'm just in very bad mood and I don't get jokes right now.

mastone 06-09-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

i like it. :)

...he could have a bit of a camel tail developing if you are not careful!

LOL, you mean because of all the "bumpy" folds right?(Just want to make sure I get it :p )
I agree on that I am trying to guard against making him look like a camel :)

I just have to do a quick polish on the shirt and will probably use the pinchbrush with that very often

Thanks for all the comments guys

:beer:

mastone 08-09-2009 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have taken the model back into maya to check up if it looks acceptable in Maya aswell I think it looks pretty good, see no major mistakes anymore

honestdom 08-09-2009 11:13 PM

hehe, camel tail is the male version of camel toe. :P

...model looks good, are you going to rig it?

stwert 08-09-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

hehe, camel tail is the male version of camel toe. :P

...model looks good, are you going to rig it?

@mastone: I think he means it may be a bit "tight" in the "front" region... :p

mastone 22-12-2009 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally had some time again to work on this project.
I got my hands on a book called ZBrush character creation written by a guy named Scott Spencer, which I reccommend to anyone who is struggling with getting the fine details in their models amongst other things.

I have played around with handpainting a texture and getting it back into Maya and light it in different ways .
I have made some adjustments to the overall model aswell.
Let me know what you think

daverave 22-12-2009 06:20 PM

I love your model but some thing not right about his skin texture or it could be the lighting......dave

mastone 23-12-2009 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave
You could very well be right it was a firsttime handpainted texture and keep in mind this is just a colorpass on a blinn no translucency or other SSS-stuff.

I have fiddled some more in maya/ZBrush and have tried to harness that monstrosity called maya hair (and fur for that matter) I have a hardtime believing that companies actually use that @$#%.
It works counterintuitive and feels outdated I really hope that they make something like shave and haircut preferably even something better.
Nonetheless here's my progress of the day which mostly went in creating the hair(s) which annoyed me considerably

Here's a highres image btw
http://www.3dhype.com/leden/784/big_...d-2%282%29.jpg

daverave 23-12-2009 10:49 PM

maya hair sucks, but you have got some good results, I have tryed using fast skin (head model WIP) I think this is the way to go to get a relistic look but it will take a lot of tweeking..........dave

mastone 24-12-2009 07:17 PM

yes I know what you mean, they should call it Maya rope or Maya agony.
it's annoying really that they call it hair but you have to comb the hair with newtonfields LOL.
And I am well aware of skinshading but i really don't want to fiddle with that stuff when testrendering thanks for the heads up anyway:beer:

lealar 26-12-2009 02:04 PM

That's nice work, it's him and very feel. :beer:

mastone 26-12-2009 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why thank you :)

I have tried a different lighting set up since i got strange results on the fur and skin bump when rendering with my test HDRI set up( and turned of FG)

It's a bit dark and since i have a very bright monitor it would be a bit darker at some of your monitors, but I really think the contrast light/dark adds to the atmosphere

mastone 28-07-2010 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Long time no post.....I was really struggling with how to rig the clothes and how to do the hair, I have an idea how to do this now, so hopefully you guys see some reall progress soon.

If anyone is struggling with NCloth in clothing and how to rig I can only suggest this tutorial:
http://store.autodesk.com/store/adsk...=1280305519473

It's a to the point tutorial ( no endlesly talk about the history of stuff just shows some tips n tricks in short :just right for me).
for the hair I can recommend this :
http://www.joealter.com/index.htm

C&C welcome

leonlabyk 05-08-2010 02:38 PM

Looking very good Mastone, definitely a good likeness going on. Joe alter shave and hair is killer and the new version is even better. You now get to see hairs live in your view port as you change the haircount, width, + you now have some new features.

Keep going and look forward to seeing a textured version with sss

mastone 08-08-2010 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have taken the base mesh back into Maya, since I didn't have enough geometry around the mouth and eyes( resulting in hardedges ) So I have added inner mouth and eye geometry, which sadly meant I had to do a lot of the sculpting over again ( Changed the number and order of the vertices/different UV layout etc)
But it also meant I looked at it with a pair of fresh eyes and have made a considerable better sculpt for it.
I also tweaked the base geo in Maya so that at the lowest level the entire model consisted of only around 5000-6000 poly's which I hope speeds up animating considerable.
I really want to try Motionbuilder for animation, but haven't decide as of yet
I also played with a " little" software package called Vue for adding surroundings and such and just like joe alter it's really easy to pick up I do wished that I could switch the UI in Vue to Maya navigation but could not find it ( getting a bit schizofrenic with al the different hotkeys from al the different packages LOL)

See the progress I made below

C&C most welcome of course

ColdWave 08-08-2010 01:06 PM

The head is looking good.
Chest and stomach need more work ... they are a bit strange now. Shoulders + Byceps also need work.

Keep it up this must go till the end :P

mastone 09-08-2010 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Coldwave how are you ?

" Keep it up this must go till the end :P"
- I get the feeling that this project will be the end of me indeed LOL.

And thanks for the crits, you are absolutely right.
On my defense I will say that I don't intend to make a 100% bodysculpt which resembles the work of Michealangelo, it's just so that I get a feel if the proportions are right and got a bit carried away with the detailing ( ZBrush has that effect I've heard :) )

So:
I have tweaked Indy once more in another refinement pass, showcasing my insane drive for getting the best out of it, but once more I do believe it has been a lot better for it.
I have exaggerated the scar on the chin a bit so that when I do a smooth pass or whatever I don't accidentally rub out the scar, I also found that if the scar is to subtle it doesn't show in the displacement/normal -map ( in the render that is).

I hope that tomorrow I will make some progress on the skindetails.
( I also hope that I get my Zbrush 4 tomorrow with GOZ in it it will make life a lot easier :) )

C & C is again most welcome

mastone 10-08-2010 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You Guys are probably getting sick of ZBrush renders of a certain archealogist already, but I am posting one again ( yes sorry ;) )

I have been adding pore details and I am very happy with the results of a couple of hours work , I didn't want to overdo the pores and such but tried to keep it nice and subtle

Hope you guys like it as well.
I hope that tomorrow I will get a decent start at the colortexture with the help of my dear friend Scott Spencer ( his book that is ;) )

bullet1968 11-08-2010 11:42 AM

Wow Mastone............bloody good work mate. That looks like the man himself!!! Like the progress mate...cant wait for some animation on this one!!! Jezz must be some long hours in there mate

Keep up the good work

Cheers bullet