Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   arran - summer challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30462)

NeoStrider 22-09-2008 01:35 PM

ya know what i think might help for scale? one of those flat-yet-curved bars with the holes they use for stop signs or no parking signs.... you could place it on the sidewalk near the yellow painted part of the curb, cause hey... ya can't park there! :P

i know you're supposed to have just an abandoned thing, really, but have you given any thought to placing a bunch of trash bags/cans around it as well? nothing's abandoned more often than trash!

(would actually look like a scene from the streets of NYC!)

vladimirjp 22-09-2008 01:56 PM

this looks great. :beer:

shadowspy 22-09-2008 06:26 PM

Looks great!
Btw, for how long have you been modeling, arran?:beer:

honestdom 22-09-2008 06:44 PM

yeah looks real nice, I didnt know you had modelled so many parts.

I kind of agree, if i were abandoning a tv, i might put it next to some sort of sign or lamp post... i think it makes it less bad. :p

arran 24-09-2008 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey - thanks a lot everyone. :)

neostrider - thanks! - yeah, i'd been thinking about a trash bag - so after your suggestion, made a quick crappy one in zbrush last night - needs a bit more work on it tho.

not really sure what kind of stop sign you're describing - maybe a pic? - though my scene is getting kind of crowded. :)

shadowspy - thanks - i've been using maya for about 2-3 years now. i've got some pics of my stuff on my blog.

here's a shot of the trash bag.

arran 24-09-2008 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and a couple of views that i've been considering. i think i'm going to use the second one.

arran 24-09-2008 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

honestdom 24-09-2008 05:25 AM

yeah 2nd one is nice...

excellent broken glass.

arran 24-09-2008 05:41 AM

honestdom 24-09-2008 05:55 AM

so how come you dont worry about having more than 4 sided polys?

arran 25-09-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
so how come you dont worry about having more than 4 sided polys?
sorry for the late reply - if the geometry doesn't need to be animated or deformed then you don't really need to worry about keeping everything to quads.

Joopson 25-09-2008 12:27 PM

well now I have no chance of winning, haha
seriously though, awesome job on this so far!

NeoStrider 26-09-2008 05:03 AM

i've been imagining that your television, cause of the era look, was maybe a 20" tv tops... but next to that trash bag it looks like it could be a 50" lol - i think the bag needs to be bigger unless it's really that large of a television. yea, the glass looks great, can't wait to see the final render. nice jaerb.

arran 26-09-2008 05:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
humpf!... well, i showed it to my wife and she agreed. so i've made the bag bigger. thanks neostrider!

after measuring everything for my security room, i guess i just wanted to get by by eyeballing this time. bad idea. :)

have been arranging and rearranging pieces of glass which was.... fun. also made a start on the wires. getting there slowly.

joopson - thanks - your crazy - i reckon you've got this one sewn up. ;)

Some Guy 26-09-2008 07:03 AM

Why have i not commented on this sooner!
This is looking awsome. Its really progressed since the last time I checked this out. :beer: