Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How fast are you?(Speed Typing) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31222)

marlonjohn 27-10-2008 03:42 AM

How fast are you?(Speed Typing)

Hey guys,

Bit bored at 3am ATM and was looking at LauriePriest's CV and wondered what that touch typing '70wpm' meant... so after a Google search it gave me the answer.

I tried it and got the lucky numbers of 69wpm... how fast are you?

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

27-10-2008 04:10 AM

I got 43, but I can't type that fast while reading something someone else typed.

LauriePriest 27-10-2008 04:23 AM

lol! love it
morning bordem, the only obvious solution that comes to mind = look at laurie priest's CV!

pure entertainment

BennyK 27-10-2008 04:35 AM

I got a pathetic 23 after the first try :( .
I can't even type without looking at the keyboard...
And it gets harder when you have to read something because you constantly need to look at the monitor...
Benny

LauriePriest 27-10-2008 04:44 AM

mavis beacon ftw! learnt when i was 11 yeahhhh

ZykotiK 27-10-2008 04:53 AM

Got a cool 75 ;)

LauriePriest 27-10-2008 05:04 AM

sweeet got 86 on retest, 10 mistakes though :(.

AikoWorld 27-10-2008 06:59 AM

Your speed was: 57wpm.

You made 1 mistake, your mistake is shown in bold text:

Not bad for somebody who dosent like typing fast :)

Chirone 27-10-2008 08:04 AM

54 wpm
6 mistakes (actually more but most got deleted as i went...)

and taht was with both hands

29 wpm
0 mistakes (again more but most got deleted as i went...)

and that was with just my right hand

and one more...
57 wpm
30 mistakes

with both hands unfiltered (kinda....)

Ajmooch 27-10-2008 10:25 AM

96 WPM with 5 mistakes (stupid hy-ph-ens!)

I got a typing program when I was in elementary school... I spent like four hours a day typing with it >_> I was probably faster in third grade than I am now.
Imagine if I had started studying Medicine or something instead. I would have a useful skill instead :attn:

The Architect 27-10-2008 04:40 PM

I haven't measured how fast I can type, but I won't be doing much typing for a while with only one hand... :p

Chirone 27-10-2008 07:59 PM

Your speed was: 8841wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.

BennyK 27-10-2008 08:06 PM

Hehe, what did you do? copy-paste? Or built a program that'll do it for you?

I took some of the lessons on that site. How long did it take you guys to develop that skill?
And one more thing - when you move from one row to another do you move all of the fingers away from the home row( asdfghjkl; ) or just the relevant one?
Thanks,
Benny

Chirone 27-10-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BennyK
Hehe, what did you do? copy-paste? Or built a program that'll do it for you?

not a bad idea...

a program would probably cut out the lag time between the time it takes to click the start button and click the stop button

if anyone has a moment they should try it and see how fast the program can write it and see what the results are :D

i'm curious to know now....

Quote:

Originally posted by BennyK

I took some of the lessons on that site. How long did it take you guys to develop that skill?
And one more thing - when you move from one row to another do you move all of the fingers away from the home row( asdfghjkl; ) or just the relevant one?
Thanks,
Benny

my friend got 106wpm with 0 mistakes.... but then when i got her to do it with one hand she only got 33wpm with 1 mistakes... and since that isn't half of her both hands (and mine is greater than half) i say I WIN :D

i think i make less mistakes if i have my eyes closed and evn i do have my eyes closed i can tell if i make a mistake and still push backspace...

unsure of how long it took me, i was typing one finger per hand for a while when i was 10 :p
so maybe about 8, 7 or 6 years? or even the whole 12 years?

i never noticed if i move my entire set of fingers or not... but apparently i dont. i just move the relevant finger to the relevant key.
i never had formal lessons... maybe that's why i get 30+ mistakes at 57wpm?

benny: how long have you been using a computer for?

Chirone 27-10-2008 08:32 PM

25 words
4 mistakes

left hand alone.

haha, benny, my left hand is faster than you :p
kidding of course :p, i kept pushing = whenever i went to push backspace

...ok, doing all that makes me look bored like i have nothing else to do....
seriously, i'm procrastinating, i have lots of better things i could be doing but i'm not because i dont want to do them.... :(

BennyK 27-10-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
benny: how long have you been using a computer for?
I've been using computers as far as I can remember... about 10 - 12 years I guess... I haven't spent much of that time typing though :)
I currently type with index and middle fingers in my left hand with the little finger on left shift, and my index finger on the right hand with the middle and ring fingers traveling to the backspace and enter every once in a while...
I habe a gairly jood isea of wjere ecert ket os kocared bur thid is whar jaooens wjen I din'r lppk ar the keyboard.
(I have a fairly good idea of where every key is located but this is what happens when I don't look at the keyboard.)
Hehe - the longest word is the only one I managed to type without mistakes...

do you know any professional programs for practicing typing? ones that can analyze common mistakes and such and direct you to those words more often or something like that?
Benny

BTW,
*** Benny, for how long have you been using a computer?

NeoStrider 28-10-2008 09:49 AM

Your speed was: 67wpm.

You made 2 mistakes, your mistakes are shown in bold text

not bad considering i don't IM anymore, and that's how i used to get my practice in.

marlonjohn 31-10-2008 08:05 PM

@ Laurie - hahaha! :p reason being, checked out SM for while as i hadn't been on it for a while and noticed your thread ;)

@ Architect - that must suck ey!

@ Benny - probably from being on the computer since the first grade nonstop. or typing really fast to my teammates in a game(counterstrike) as i don't want to die...

about the program, there are things like that. at my school, there was a program which did exactly that.

@ Neo - your missing out, IM is fun :D lol