Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The ugly duckling Grumman J2F-6 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3139)

SpyD01 01-02-2003 02:58 AM

Great Modelling!!!!

Hidalgo 01-02-2003 02:59 AM

When this gets textured I'll stack it up to a real plane anytime!

Great work!!

ereitz 01-02-2003 05:27 AM

what a sweet model you got there - seeing the outside makes me curious about the inside - this little square window is interesting and the view from the cockpit must be great! From previous renders of the motor etc I know you have great details - i'd like to see you get it textured and do a bunch of closeup angles that show off that detail and the natural curves of your model.

undseth 02-02-2003 07:53 PM

Almost there

1 Attachment(s)
hehe :) I'm almost finished converting the nubs surfaces to polygon surfaces. I'm 95% done.

It looks like the project will end up with a little under 400.000 faces.

Hidalgo 02-02-2003 08:01 PM

I've been meaning to ask: As far as this project is concerned, is this an area of modeling you really enjoy or are you using this subject to learn specific things about Maya?

It's really turning out nice and I can see an aviation firm wanting skills like yours...

undseth 03-02-2003 07:31 AM

That is very kind to say Hidalgo! :D

I must admit I am not a professional, and do not aspire to become one, although I tend to keep things pretty detailed and still have fun with it. Well, it not fun all the time, but when you're complete, then it is very rewarding.

Personally I think freelancing is scary (but what do I know). The best would be to have a relativly steady job at some company, or as a part of a major project.

I used to make and still make plastic models. So the modeling comes more natural to me, than say drawing.

I have a C-130 Hercules (Airfix) and a F-14 Tomcat (Heller), in the making.

The Tomcat is a "Heller" kit and it sucks.
"Hasegawa" rules! Kits with etched metal are awesome.

Sorry... about your question;
I simply want to model stuff, and have to make some efforts to make it. So aquiring skills with Maya is simply unavoidable.

edit:
Is that a Bush quote you got there Hidalgo???

Hidalgo 03-02-2003 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by undseth
Is that a Bush quote you got there Hidalgo???
Something I heard someone say a very long time ago and it seems to have stuck in my memory since.

:)

undseth 03-02-2003 05:21 PM

I want to go political here, but I will keep it to myself.....

Hidalgo 03-02-2003 05:23 PM

LoL!

Go ahead, I don't mind. Although I've been told I'm extremely blunt sometimes...

:)

undseth 18-03-2003 10:14 AM

GI_Joe

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic showing the lambert and one showing the blinn shader.

I'd like some critique on this one.

I'm interested in comments about the coloring and the lighting. I already know it's not textured :D

My first try with the GI_Joe script.

Kevin 18-03-2003 10:43 AM

fantastic work mr undseth!!! well done mate, nicely detailed

alexgc 18-03-2003 11:24 AM

now that is excellent work! Are you going to give it a weathered look or do u plan on keeping it brand spanking new?

undseth 18-03-2003 11:30 AM

hehe
Texture will come, just have to figure out how to tackle the last nurbsToPoly conversion.

I will later aim for photorealism, but I feel I need to learn more about lighting.

Making white materials appear roughly white seems to be a problem of mine. The first pic shows a white lambert, but it has a strong blue coloring. Guess I have to make the environment more white and not that blue like in the original photo.

alexgc 18-03-2003 01:12 PM

I understand...I think the blue hue u r talking about comes from the GI_Joe lighting. It makes more sense if u make the blue colour used in the sky lights a little more white. As for the off-white u r looking for....hmmm maybe u could add a little noise (maybe fractal?) to the diffuse channel of the shader. Just something to break up the planarity of the white :)

Hidalgo 18-03-2003 02:28 PM

What if you took that image you are using for the background and add it to the HDRI setting in GI_Joe? Just add the file to the sky color.

That way your light should reflect those colors off of the hull.

undseth 18-03-2003 02:32 PM

I already did that, but I used an other map, which apparantly are more bluish.

But thanks for answering guys!

hmmm I'll try to map the diffuse channel, never tried that before :)