Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Super Villain Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32596)

mtmckinley 15-06-2009 07:51 PM

Super Villain Challenge

Super Villain Challenge

Let's get back to doing some character-based challenges and let's do Super Villains! You can make an existing character! If you can be creative and make a new one or modify an existing one in some way, that'd be great! Make up a name, powers, look, costume, and origin story and let's see those creative juices flow! Is your villain an evil demigod from another world? or simply a misunderstood mutant that has to rely on crime to survive? Maybe you want to make an evil version of Superman? Go for it!

A couple guides:

1) Texturing is not required... but encouraged.

2) You can be super-duper-high-res or do low-poly game models... your choice!

3) Name your threads something like Super Villain Challenge: Evil Guy (challenge name: your villain)

4) Any 3D or 2D program can be used.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread. There's no prize yet, but if that changes, I'll let you know. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Deadline Noon August 17th (USA Pacific Time)!

Mayaniac 15-06-2009 08:08 PM

Sounds like fun.
:beer:

stwert 15-06-2009 08:29 PM

Excellent... I think I'll join this one and hopefully finish off something for a true entry. I'm a bit dubious about my organic modelling skills though...

Dango77 15-06-2009 09:31 PM

Great!
I've not done any organic modeling yet, so this'll be a good chance to get onto doing some, and I've got a few ideas of what I'll do flying around my head already!
looking forward to it!

Chirone 15-06-2009 09:42 PM

i have a "villain" and a villain in mind.. wonder if i could pull them off though...

Pandinus 15-06-2009 11:06 PM

DAMMIT! I just (almost) finished making an evil villain! Oh well, back to the drawing board...

honestdom 16-06-2009 08:39 AM

is this comp going to have a vote at the end or are you going to pick the winners again?

gster123 16-06-2009 08:56 AM

Damm, I wanted to to an exisitng villian, oh well.

Chirone 16-06-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
is this comp going to have a vote at the end or are you going to pick the winners again?
i would think it would go like this...

if there's a prize then only mike will have a say, or a selected group of people can vote (given the reasons that mike said last time about voting when there is a prize)
otherwise everyone can vote

if we vote i say we should get 3 votes each to use on anyone other than ourselves...

elephantinc 16-06-2009 09:39 AM

damn, pity I already started my phanteater
maybe I could enter with the non robotic one...

ColdWave 16-06-2009 10:56 AM

If there is prize, there must be judges. Judges who know what they do :). The voting system by members is not so good. Because we all can build multy accounts.

I'm thinking of joining this one, but not decide yet.:beer:

CGWolfgang 16-06-2009 05:29 PM

This sounds like fun. While I don't think I'll place I'm definitely in. The challenge arena looks like a great place to learn/hone my skills in maya!

tweetytunes 16-06-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CGWolfgang
The challenge arena looks like a great place to learn/hone my skills in maya!
It curently is - I have gained so much knowledge doing these little test. I would say even more than 5 years at uni

sokol 16-06-2009 07:55 PM

does it have to be a human?

Dango77 16-06-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sokol
does it have to be a human?
Don't think so Sokol, Mike put in his specifications post at the top that it could be anything from a Demigod to a Mutant, so as long as it's a Super Villain it should be fine I'd think.

arran 16-06-2009 08:16 PM

cool! this should be interesting. :)

mtmckinley 16-06-2009 08:25 PM

I had contemplated adding a "race"-like stipulation like I did with the spaceships, but decided against it. Was going to be categories like:

Magic
Mutant
Alien
Tech
Human

but I figured you guys would probably categorize yourself using these arch-types anyway for the most part.

Chirone 16-06-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elephantinc
damn, pity I already started my phanteater
maybe I could enter with the non robotic one...

make a super duper mega mighty phanteater like a colossus

i think leaving out races in this comp was a good decision. i'm not good at stereotyping...

elephantinc 16-06-2009 09:58 PM

what is a 'super duper mega mighty phanteater'?

How do classify a giant phanteater?

mastone 17-06-2009 06:11 PM

Too bad we can't do existing villains i had a good one i wanted to do.

gster123 17-06-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
Too bad we can't do existing villains i had a good one i wanted to do.
Yeah man same here.

mtmckinley 17-06-2009 06:59 PM

tell ya what... I'll change the rules. Existing characters are allowed now. if anyone would like to change their entry, they can!

stwert 17-06-2009 07:11 PM

Hmmm... to change or not to change, that is the question...

gster123 17-06-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
tell ya what... I'll change the rules. Existing characters are allowed now. if anyone would like to change their entry, they can!

Cooooooool!!

Chirone 17-06-2009 09:47 PM

if texturing is not required then is this just a modeling challenge?

Jay 17-06-2009 09:49 PM

Now I really fancied entering but I dont think Im gonna get time, which is a shame as its characters!! I was going to invent one called 'Stain' lol...go figure...

Jay

mtmckinley 17-06-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
if texturing is not required then is this just a modeling challenge?
If that's what you'd prefer. If you want to texture, please do. :) Presentation is really what is judged, if you boil it all down. I've seen really well presented untextured models and really crappy presented fully textured models.

tweetytunes 17-06-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I've seen really well presented untextured models and really crappy presented fully textured models.
Yer like my last comp entry - dam it

mtmckinley 17-06-2009 11:40 PM

Not at all, Tweety, yours was a great entry! Believe me, the competition was stiff!

Chirone 17-06-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tweetytunes
Yer like my last comp entry - dam it
aaaha, i think you just called your picture and everyone elses picture who wasn't in the top three crappy ;)

tweetytunes 18-06-2009 12:15 AM

No just mine

Everyone else I mean no offence.

Im so unhappy with it now - The fly though video will be better - Just need the time away from the computer to let it render.

ColdWave 18-06-2009 09:09 PM

@ mtmckinley

I just wanna say that with those challenges you are making my stay in SM forum nicer and seen all those people making threads etc... just make me go " Maying " harder and gaining new skills.

Keep up the good work in the future

I'll join the challenge too but a bit later ....

thanks for the attention friends :beer:

s2-speedy 25-06-2009 03:48 PM

Thinking of joining this challenge seeing as I bailed on the last one due to time.

Just a quick question - Would a cartoon style Devil character be allowed? Cant think of anything more Evil than a devil. :)

mtmckinley 25-06-2009 05:24 PM

sure!

mastone 25-06-2009 06:05 PM

" ..........Would a cartoon style Devil character be allowed?......."

No sorry to evil

Chirone 25-06-2009 10:19 PM

or in some cases not evil enough :p

Mike, would you have a seperate category, one for orginal characters and one for existing characters? (provided there are enough entries to justify both)

mtmckinley 26-06-2009 12:54 PM

if there were enough entries for both categories, sure, that could be a good idea. if we get a prize, though, I imagine there'd still have to be only 1 overall grand prize winner.

tweetytunes 26-06-2009 03:18 PM

The devil is not much of a super villan.

I know the rules in these challenges are some what lax at times but this is called a Super Villain Challenge.

The devil and Mr Burns just seem a little non super villain just more evil.

Just my 2 cents - mike makes the rules and if he said its ok - its ok, but if I was voting they would lose marks for not sticking to the brief.

mastone 27-06-2009 12:10 PM

" Mike, would you have a seperate category, one for orginal characters and one for existing characters? (provided there are enough entries to justify both)"

I say stick to the original plan; one prize one winner, let's face it there isn't any character going to be made here that is 100% original so just look at the end results and if an existing character is better made then an " original" one so be it.

And tweety i think Mr Burns is a supevillain albeit a bit cartoonesk, i think he is the lex luthor on the simpsons, and Lex Luthor is a supervillain in my book :)

I know he isn't the villain with superpowers like the X men , but Batman hasn't got superpowers yet he still is called a superhero, same goes for the joker and a couple of other ones aswell

gster123 27-06-2009 07:45 PM

I would have thought that Burns would have been a super villain, I mean he uses his powers (interlect and wealth) for selfish purposes and his own gain, similar to bond villians (which I would also class as super villains), though he is cartooney.

I'm also not bothered about winning or getting a prize, so write it off now. Just though that it would have been a fun character to model in 3d and fitted with the challenge and getting some fun modeling back into my life with a time constraint to stick to.

If you want I'll withdraw and move it into the WIP thread.