Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Simply Avatar: Some Guy (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33540)

Jay 08-01-2010 11:25 PM

I see, no I just provided it as an OBJ because people have so many versions of Maya and sometimes people ask 'how can I open this for this version etc', plus I thought if people want to sculpt instead then OBJ is perfect all round really...one size fits all so to speak

zbrush would be a .ztl file, not sure what a native mudbox file is, is it an .mb too??

J

stwert 08-01-2010 11:32 PM

No, it's .mud or .mdbx or something like that.

Jay 08-01-2010 11:34 PM

Ahh thanks Stwert

Some Guy 09-01-2010 09:52 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread but here's an update :P
Wireframe (thanks to Jay's Lovely base mesh) and just some adjustments again to the cheeks and mouth!

Too bad you cant enter THX, you could always do a Hand-Drawn version? I reckon you'd nail that!

Some Guy 09-01-2010 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
blue!

Some Guy 09-01-2010 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
opps

Jay 09-01-2010 05:29 PM

No I apologise for hijacking your thread mate.

Now lets see the Avatar Nose get underway mate, so far so good.

J

tweetytunes 09-01-2010 07:41 PM

great start but (sorry) - I think your ears go up too much instead of back - yours are more elf like

mastone 09-01-2010 07:44 PM

Looks like a great start there.

Some tips:

Ears are to large and at the wrong position ( in Z in Y they are good)

If I look at your face it 's a long face and high cheekbones, on your model pull the geo down with the move brush( from below the nose).

I see you are already working on the details I wouldn't bother with it at this stage( trust me I speak from experience).

If I am looking correct at the avatar characters they have catlike ears/eyes and noses so that shouldbedone first then reshape it to match your characteristics so if you have big ears model a big avatar ear ( it resembles caricature drawing a bit).
So the most important part of the human anatomy is the overall shape of the head and the mouth.

Again looks like a great start, but there is still much to do on shape level so refrain from going into detailling level good luck

Some Guy 10-01-2010 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice all! Ive toned down the ears and changed the face, its quite hard to get the big eyes AS well as the high cheekbones so i think its gonna have to be one or the other. I reckon most of the resemblance will be in the mouth (which is now totally messed up) but hey, still ages to go :D

Left is before, Middle is after.

Edit: Also with the nose Jay, I reckon that one is gonna be really hard! I tried a version (too embarrassing to show here) and it changed the top half of the fay WAaaayyyy to much for my liking, ill need to experiment much more.

Chirone 10-01-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Some Guy
Sorry to hijack the thread but here's an update :P
haha, funny

it looks awesome. soon you'll have another challenge medal ;)

chin looks good

Jay 10-01-2010 09:55 AM

Its not hard mate, just ignore your nose when it comes to it and do the proper Avatar Nose, thats the whole idea of the comp dont forget you can edit the mesh to suit.

Jay

THX1138 11-01-2010 02:57 AM

Nice progress Someguy! Keep working on that nose just as Jay recommends, and you will get it in no time.

Quote:

Too bad you cant enter THX, you could always do a Hand-Drawn version? I reckon you'd nail that!
I don't know, I would really rather do a CG version over a 2D version. 2D doesn't seem to do the AVATAR concept justice.

Some Guy 20-01-2010 12:16 PM

Hey all! No updates for a while :(
Zbrush keeps crashing and is majorly p***in me off!!! On a good note i have been accepted into uni so after a week or so of hectic preparation ill be free to finish this up!
Ciao

ColdWave 20-01-2010 12:32 PM

What uni ?
Profession ?

Everything is looking good so far.
my advice is that you can low the divisions and make some details on lower levels. And when you again up the divisions on high level you will have more details and more shapes...