Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Simply Avatar: daverave (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33556)

daverave 17-02-2010 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all
Change to ray traced shadows as advise by THX1138 this fixed the eye problem also softened the hair I think this looks a lot better? also had to increase the amount of hair on eye braw....................dave

Edit|render time has double

THX1138 17-02-2010 11:11 PM

Fantastic Daverave! About the render time; yeah, it will increase, but the result is alot better.

daverave 19-02-2010 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks THX1138
Just a little update, eyelashes.....dave

Edit: I used this link to get the base of the eyelashes then did a lot of tweeking
https://www.highend3d.com/tutorials/...n-eyelash#tabs

ColdWave 19-02-2010 11:13 PM

I've done the tut for the hair ... Contact me @ my skype :

Shc_Cold

daverave 19-02-2010 11:39 PM

thank you coldwave but I have got over my problem with rendering hair in metal ray...........thanks again dave

ColdWave 19-02-2010 11:50 PM

yeah i see :PP

Go for some detailing ! :beer:

daverave 20-02-2010 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all
using the back light scattering to liven up the ear not sure if ive over done it? .......dave

ColdWave 21-02-2010 12:39 AM

Yes that's the effect.
Now get rid of the green background.
And finally make the HDRI for the eyes reflection will bring a lot of life!

Keep it up a few more things and will be ready for your portfolio !

daverave 21-02-2010 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks coldwave will do the HDRI for the eyes as the last thing. this little bit of hair gave me a lot of trouble, because its fin all the light make it a lot lighter in the end I put a ramp on the colour................dave

THX1138 28-02-2010 09:54 PM

Anymore progress on this daverave?

daverave 28-02-2010 10:25 PM

Hi THX1138
Not really was looking at a head dress but it looks like the male only have feathers but I liked the look of the females head dress. I was hopping that there were going to be some more competitors joining in but alas that does not seam to be the case. do you think the braid hanging down looks OK I think it looks a bit to straight but will change............dave

THX1138 06-03-2010 04:28 PM

The braid looks fine daverave, and as this competition is drawing to a close in the next week, I recommend finishing your model by adding the bio luminance speckles on the face. Lol, you should win this comp pretty easy.

Fantastic work anyways! :beer:

ctbram 06-03-2010 05:25 PM

The hair looks really good dave.

If this is really one of your first maya projects you should be very proud. You have shown masterful work in modeling, use of the hair system, uv'ing and texturing.

The only constructive critiques I can make is the studio set and the lighting of the scene could be better.

There is something about the flat area on the top of the cheek that seems unnatural to me. Not sure if it's an anatomical anomaly or just aesthetic.

But over all it's really good work. I am sorry more folks did not join in to the challenge. I started out with organic modeling but lately I have really just been focused on hard surface modeling. I will go back to organics at some point but I will probably try to learn the maya -> zbrush -> maya workflow as that seems to be the new hotness in organic modeling.

daverave 06-03-2010 05:55 PM

Thanks THX1138
Im glad you like the hair, will do the spots

Thank ctbram
This is my forth model in maya, all of them are on this site, Pod racer in finish work(from tutorial), head model WIP, M40 WIP then this (base model from jay), im clad you also like the hair. The set is only for the green colour was going to put a background shot of the navi home world
The flat part of the cheek is caused top mouth having to be move farward so to get a flat lion nose ( might look at it again) I think I will finish this of in the next few days..........thanks again....dave

Edit: I have done a lot of modelling in lightwave but funny never finished one, posting on this site has help me get thing done

daverave 06-03-2010 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your thoughts please