Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Dango - "Taking it too far" Horror Challenge *may contain gore/shocking imagary...* (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34342)

Dango77 15-08-2010 07:07 AM

Dango - "Taking it too far" Horror Challenge *may contain gore/shocking imagary...*

Right,
the idea for mine is going to be set in a horror fanatics bedroom, obsessed with all things gory he's taken it too far, kidnapped someone and is in the process of killing them when the door opens and we (the viewer) walks in and catches him.

Not sure exactly how I'm going to go about this, but I'm just going to start modelling the bedroom and characters and see how it goes!

Onward and gutwards.....

daverave 15-08-2010 08:10 AM

didnt you model your bed room once but we never saw your bed I wonder why?...........LOL........dave

Dango77 15-08-2010 09:19 AM

Hahaha, evidence needed to be disposed of Dave.....lol.....

I moved during the modelling of my bedroom, so didn't get to finish it, thought of redoing it my new place but work took over and just didn't get the time to do anything art wise at all.

Thankfully I have had Maya open again today for the first time in months and have made a start! I'd forgotten how much I'd missed it.

gster123 15-08-2010 09:28 AM

Nice Idea Dango!

Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Steve

bullet1968 15-08-2010 09:34 PM

Thats why being a fisherman is an advantage Dango...especially over here where the white pointers roam!!! (Great Whit shark for those who didnt understandy my Aussie slang)

Good luck mate

cheers bullet

ben hobden 15-08-2010 11:11 PM

ditto on the good idea. should be good!

Dango77 16-08-2010 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, hoping it will be good too! lol

Have made a start today on the set, just going for a typical horror fanatic teenage boys room at the moment.
Decided an attic room would be cool, filled with horror paraphernalia, plus some real things the kid has added himself (chains on wall, knife rack, torture tools etc lying about) and will probably add wooden boards over the skylight (not needed for anything but the guy likes how it looks).
Also may add a guitar in the room that has barbwire strings (had to get that in there incase anyone else thought of it....lol).
Have also made a start on the main character but will wait to post anything to do with him until he's looking a little better.

bullet1968 16-08-2010 11:29 AM

good start guys...Im getting there...I still dont know what to do.

Nice room should look sweet Dango

cheers bullet

ben hobden 16-08-2010 11:56 AM

The great thing about this is your imagination (and then your cpu's capacity) really are the limit. This is a scene id like to have a go at, any bit of space to just fill with something cool. Lots of opportunities for playing with lighting and materials. This has got fun written all over it.

Dango77 20-08-2010 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bullet and Ben,

I know the main idea for the comp is the character, but once I get an idea in my head all else goes out the window, lol.

The character will probably end up taking a bit of a backseat to the overall scene, but I'll do my best to make him look as menacing as possible!

I haven't had any time until this afternoon to do anything, but I got weapon number 1 done, a machete he'll be holding in one hand. May redo the blood splatters a bit though.
The second weapon will most likely be a chainsaw, I've got it half built, just need to finish the back of it off, then texture it.

The fun part about doing a scene like this is if you get bored of character modelling, you can switch to set design, or props etc, then back again. Endless hours of creative fun! Yay!

daverave 20-08-2010 03:21 PM

I know the character is the main comp but if you have two creations about the same then I would look at the setting as well, I think Stwert is doing some thing like yours(a scene)?............dave

gster123 20-08-2010 03:43 PM

Nice start mate!

There was a guy here ages ago who did something similar for a challenge, cant for the life of me remember who it was or for what challenge.

He was doing a indian god though at one point. I'll have a look.

Dango77 20-08-2010 03:51 PM

Dave:
Yeah I think Stwerts doing something similar, I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with! But as with many of us, work gets in the way of 3d (dammit!) so just have to hope everyone gets the time to get some done.

Steve:

Thanks mate, sounds interesting, let me know if you find out what challenge and who it was that did it, would like to take a look.

Should have some more updates ready over the weekend, probably on the chainsaw and the room, but I want to make a bit of progress on at least one of the two characters in the scene too! Fingers crossed I'll get some spare time...lol

gster123 20-08-2010 04:02 PM

Found the bugger!

http://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...ighlight=vedic kings&pagenumber=1

Dango77 20-08-2010 04:11 PM

Nice one!

That's pretty cool, I was thinking to do the chains from the ceiling etc! May have to rethink that part now....

But similar to what I was thinking of going for!

gster123 20-08-2010 04:26 PM

Hey no probs in my eyes.

When you cane up witht idea I thought of that what Vedic Kings did, so it's not like your coping or anything.

stwert 20-08-2010 04:27 PM

Great progress so far! Looking forward to the rest.
No, I'm not really doing something similar, my character is the main focus of the scene, but I am planning to have a scene/animation. Without an environment, I don't think the character really has as much impact or story.
And yeah... hopefully I'll have some progress posted eventually, haha.

Dango77 20-08-2010 04:36 PM

Steve:

Cool, might still add some chains, not quite as many as Vedic Kings did, his reminds me of Silent Hill quite a bit.
Though I had been toying with how bad the victim has gotten it. Half body/half head/totally in bits/unharmed but about to get it etc.... Thinking quite gruesome as it's fun to paint blood in PS.

Stwert:

Cheers mate, wasn't sure what exactly you were doing, knew it has some animation in it though, looking forward to that! No rush on the posting, all in your own time mate! ;)

Dango77 20-08-2010 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm done for the day and am off out for the evening.
I managed to get weapon number two, the chainsaw pretty much finished, just need to add the chain itself, and the trigger on the rear handle and I can then either texture it, or move on and do that at some other point.

Mayaniac 20-08-2010 05:39 PM

Chainsaw looks great.

bullet1968 20-08-2010 07:50 PM

Nice on Dango...love the machete...got one in my car for work purposes.....they do give a kind of weird feeling when you use them...all nasty like mmwwwaaahhhaaaahhhaaaa

I agree with the prop thing you have...when I got bored on my Me-262 thats when I decided to start the Amoury Collection I have. You are right mate...get bored...do something quick and simple to get the motivation back!!

Nice start..cheers bullet

mastone 20-08-2010 08:42 PM

a scene from scarface perhaps ( referring to the chainsaw :) )

Dango77 20-08-2010 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers peoples!

Not much of an update, but thought I'd post it as the chainsaw is done (the chain and trigger that is).

Off to bed now but am looking forward to starting another part of the scene tomorrow!

Chirone 20-08-2010 10:46 PM

howd you do the chain part?

Mayaniac 20-08-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
howd you do the chain part?
I guess duplicated along a curve. Could be wrong though.

bullet1968 21-08-2010 01:03 AM

very nice chain!! I like it...and yes I would like to know the magicians secret. I think you might be right steve.

cheers bullet

Dango77 21-08-2010 11:51 AM

I was going to duplicate it along a curve, but decided not to for some strange reason. I positioned each one of the links on the top half by hand, (it's not really a straight line so each needed to be tweaked very slightly) duplicated that set and flipped them over to the bottom, and then did the ones along the curve by hand.

bullet1968 21-08-2010 12:10 PM

aaaaaahhhh Dango...that must be some s**t hot fantastic coffee you are drinkin bro!! BY HAND!! are you MAD!!! LOL well done then mate...bloody hell thats some dedication

cheers bullet

Mayaniac 21-08-2010 12:41 PM

Well, as long as you don't plan on animating it, you should be fine.

Dango77 23-08-2010 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nah, don't plan on animating it ever, if I wanted one for animation I'd just build another one. Get more practice that way too! lol

Done a bit towards the main character today, not a great deal to show, but here's the start to the Jason hockey mask he'll be wearing.

Just got to work out how to do all the little air holes that it has on it on the front. (Google Jason's mask if you don't know what I mean...)

Have also started on the rest of him but he's not looking post worthy just yet...

daverave 23-08-2010 09:52 PM

The easies way would be to boolean then clean up............dave

bullet1968 23-08-2010 09:55 PM

Yeh you could use boolean...might not work though. As has been said to me before...you could just select the faces you want...do a flat extrude (each individual face doing its thing at the same time), then extrude again to the 'inner' then delete the faces in the hole..merge verts and done Dango.

cheers bullet

Dango77 24-08-2010 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used boolean in the end, not done the clean up yet, but as it's not important at the moment I may just carry on and sort out the geo later on.
Don't want to get tied down to one part of it at the minute as time is scarce.
Not sure what I'll be working on next but should have another update later on as I have the day off today! Yay!

bullet1968 24-08-2010 10:27 AM

Lookin good mate...booleans are cool..as long as they work LOL. I dont know how many times I have removed (extracted) sections to get 1 to work.

Keep going mate...I dont think I will finish....having fun though.

cheers bullet

Dango77 24-08-2010 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Bullet,

Don't think I'm going to bother doing a clean up on the mask at all, it isn't going to be animated (even though if it was it wouldn't be flexible so still wouldn't matter really), will just texture it and move on.
Will most likely do the clean up after as I can't stand leaving a model with bad wires...lol.

Here's a couple of renders I did to test whether it would work without a clean up, and as the mask will be even smaller in the final image I think it'll be okay.

bullet1968 24-08-2010 12:40 PM

That looks ok to me mate...as you say it wont be large in the bigger picture.

Doin well dude

cheers bullet

Dango77 24-08-2010 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers again Bullet!

Have made a start on texturing his mask, couldn't resist really, just a little bit more to do on it.

daverave 24-08-2010 04:30 PM

That looks good Dango77, the only little thing I would do differant is a little scuffing on the studs showing some metal through............dave

Dango77 24-08-2010 04:42 PM

Cheers Dave,

I've not gotten around to doing the straps or the studs yet, but will do pretty much along the lines of what you said, kind of rusty studs with the metal showing through.

Am having a pint at the mo, so cheers to all!

Dango77 25-08-2010 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wanted a new background for my new phone so did a quick render for fun....