Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Fake or Foto (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34729)

honestdom 09-12-2010 11:24 AM

yeah that woman is heavily Photoshoped.

gster123 09-12-2010 01:52 PM

10/12!

Cool!

murambi 09-12-2010 04:43 PM

7/12 damn i thought i had an eye for cgi

stwert 09-12-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honestdom (Post 311149)
yeah that woman is heavily Photoshoped.

Is she? I thought "too perfect, gotta be CG". If so, that's cheating, PS is as much fake as other CG.

honestdom 09-12-2010 06:10 PM

a bit cheeky, but yeah a few of those images are touched up... the key!

Nilla 09-12-2010 06:49 PM

The thing I don't really get here is that when you have an image that's been heavily retouched isn't it then in essence more of a "CG render" than real? With something like that key (annoying key btw) that's an artistic photograph with artificial lighting and then retouching on top of that how can you then box it as real or render?

Still, cheers for posting the link these things are funny.

09-12-2010 09:27 PM

^ Agreed entirely.

The woman and key had me stumped. I got 8/12 of them though...

I like the old man or whatever though... The way his eyes are so caved in kinda gave it away for me, cause I personally, haven't seen anyone age that bad, not even my 90something year old great granny :P

Some Guy 10-12-2010 03:51 PM

6 correct. I guess the lines are being blurred for me. Also, am I the only person who thinks the old guy looks like he has no eyes?

Nilla 10-12-2010 09:37 PM

I just wanted to add a link to a thread I just posted because it relates to this fake or foto thing.

http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthre...258#post311258

I thought long and hard about the pepper in the final shot for this, and how incredibly hard it would be to replicate fruit or veg like that. Then when I saw Alex Roman do it I just got so amazed...again.

Joey81 10-12-2010 09:45 PM

these broken fruits 're insane....

honestdom 10-12-2010 11:50 PM

i thought the peppers in that would be do-able in 3D. but the dust stuff on the surface is a detail that would be fairly over the top. so I guessed real because of that, not because of what the peppers looked like.

Nilla 11-12-2010 01:51 AM

It was something in the surface bumpiness on the green pepper that got me at first, but I think it comes down to how perfect the lighting is that makes it real. It usually is. But your right about the peppers it's redoable, and the dust on the surface makes it very real to me as well. I was working on a lot of shading networks when we started on the new site a few months ago and I just started to look at them in again in the past few days, trying to make something that would recreate the surface top would not be easy. Dave was just saying something on the high speed cameras and maybe it's a bit much but it's so difficult to fault anything in his lighting and rendering. I love it on the lemons and tomatoes and how things shatter. Makes you think about how dynamics are really important in this field as well, amazingly well done in his movie.

Jay 11-12-2010 04:01 PM

move over Dave I got 12 mate:nerd::mstickle::P, the key and the fork ones were the deciders for me so I left them until last

Jay

Nilla 11-12-2010 04:21 PM

Step aside for the big masters with the proper knowledge:) That's the two I got wrong which is of course why I consider them unfair. Think I'll move over to cartoon shading instead:)

Jay 11-12-2010 04:35 PM

Hey Nilla

yeah those two were hard. I looked at them all first before deciding. The one of the girls eye was a near miss too, it all looks quite cg, but the eyelashes were the giveaway on that, they were just way too good to be cg.

speak soon
Jay