Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Introduce yourself - New members (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34747)

David 10-12-2010 12:59 AM

Introduce yourself - New members

Welcome to SimplyMaya if you've never posted before you might consider saying hello in here.

You don't need to be a Maya expert to use our forums we're a friendly bunch. I created SimplyMaya in part because it was intimidating to try and join the conversation on a lot of forums. Here we try and be a little different. We have a lot of people here from large studios and a lot of very seasoned Maya users but we try and leave the condescending attitude at the door :) and while i believe there defiantly is such a thing as a stupid question, you wont get laughed out the door for asking it here.

So if your one of the many people that reads the forums but never posts. Say hello :wavespin:

David

Rhetoric Camel 10-12-2010 01:06 AM

One of the main reasons I post here is because of the nature of the people, they're all very nice. No one will talk down to you because you needed to ask a silly question.

David 15-12-2010 01:27 PM

Might have to re-name this thread 'new members don't introduce yourself'

Dave :D

honestdom 15-12-2010 01:50 PM

why dont we start with old members...

hi, my name is dom. i'm from edinburgh. but have lived in london for the last ten years. i like a bit of 3D. :D

David 15-12-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honestdom (Post 311495)
why dont we start with old members...

hi, my name is dom. i'm from edinburgh. but have lived in london for the last ten years. i like a bit of 3D. :D

See now everyone else can feel free to post, we even let a Scotsman in :D

Dave

eye_grafix 15-12-2010 03:45 PM

Ok,
my name is Sebastian I'm 15 (nearly 16) and from Germany:D
I'm doing this 3d stuff for nearly a year and still learning new features of maya;)
Thats why I'm in this forum, the guys around her are very kind and don't call you "stupid" if you don't understand something.:D

stwert 15-12-2010 06:04 PM

I'm Stuart (but I usually use stwert), 24, from the wet coast of Canada.
I'm trying to get into scientific animation and post what I'm working on on my blog.
SimplyMaya is the best maya community on the interwebs.
That is all.:spin:

Gen 15-12-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stwert
SimplyMaya is the best maya community on the interwebs.
That is all.:spin:

:bounce: <--agreement smiliey. Oh yeah an introduction..

My name is Genevieve, I'm from Florida and me likey 3D too.

murambi 15-12-2010 09:10 PM

Hi i'm Raphael and i'm from Nairobi, Kenya been doing 3d for about 5 years and just started a vfx company called Mirror More :)

bullet1968 15-12-2010 09:16 PM

My name is Anthony

Im an Engineering Surveyor, I love learning 3D. Simply Maya has been a great site to get into Maya, no nasties and great bunch all round. I live in Perth, Western Australia. See even Aussies can get in here too, just like Scotsmen...LOL

cheers bullet (aka grumpy Adams):giggle:

Jay 15-12-2010 09:42 PM

Hola, mi nombre es Jay

Tengo 41 años y soy un modelador 3D profesional que actualmente trabaja como Senior Modeller en Windmill Lane VFX en Irlanda. También ayudo Simplemente Maya con este sitio web, así como tutoriales para grabar todo lo que la gente bonita de descargar, aprender y disfrutar con suerte!

I also speak Spanish

cheers
Jay

Sirwalrus 15-12-2010 11:58 PM

Okay hi all, I been looking at the site for three month now never said anything, Im 22 live in scotland. Been mucking about with maya and other 3D programs for about 2 years now.

honestdom 16-12-2010 12:23 AM

Welcome to the site sir. where in scotland are you? I heard rockstar were going or have gone and a couple of places in Dundee have closed. There must be loads of game artists out of work up there.

Dango77 16-12-2010 12:41 AM

Hi all,

My name is Gavin, I'm 33, born and raised in London UK, and only started learning how to use a PC just over two years ago (sad I know) I've been a frequenter of SM for most of that time, love the site for all the reasons written previously, and without the help from some of its members wouldn't have learnt nearly as much as I have, cheers to all that have given me advice!

16-12-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stwert (Post 311502)
I'm Stuart (but I usually use stwert), 24, from the wet coast of Canada.

I think all our coasts are wet man :p

---------------------------

Hai durr. I'm Acid. Better known as Acid, sometimes as Acid. I live in Toronto Canada, and I'm 18 (for another 7 days or so). I be the resident troll. Been doin' the Maya thing for about... 5 years now. Long time. I pretty much only do cars, well, I only show my cars, I've done a lot of other crap though.

That is all. G'day sirs. And madams too I suppose :happy:

Ozgalis 16-12-2010 02:37 AM

Hallo hallo, my name is Grant. I live in Crystal Lake, Illinois, 22 years old....ready to get out of here for sure. I have been working in Maya on and off for about 2 years...all together about a year. I am on here a lot even though I dont post very often, I just like to see what everyone else is doing for the most part. Lovin the new site by the way.

MangaManiac 16-12-2010 07:50 AM

Hi,

I am from Hong Kong originally, now living in Brisbane Australia. Love my Mangas and traditional 2-D cel animation, while studying I had a 3 month unit/component on 3-D and thats when I joined this site. Did next to nothing with Maya for 2 years and only rediscovered it a few months back, now it consumes ALL my spare time. Learning lots from the friendly people here, ask lots of questions and David Nilla and others havent told me to bugger off yet. :)

I have what I reckon is a terrific story concept, just not sure what I'm supposed to do with it now. Before I studied 2-d Animation I believed I could single handedly animate this three part epic 'Masterpiece' myself.. (Had started making it a Graphic Novel) I'm also a member of several writers forums- I'm even less gifted at writing so it probably won't be a finished screenplay anytime soon either. I realise I'm pretty delusional but I'm going to continue writing it as A Novel/A manga/A screenplay and at the same time I'm using Maya to build sets which I am drawing my chars into- hoping to have a rough but finished Animatic within the next 3 years... I'm none to optimistic at the moment but I'm enjoying myself immensely and who knows...

I havent 'Mastered' Poly modelling by any stretch, but am at the stage where I feel I can model pretty much everything I need to. -sigh- ONLY got texturing rigging animating lighting rendering and a half dozen other steps to come to grips with. :(

tweetytunes 16-12-2010 11:55 AM

Im Neil Roberts - 32 and feeling it - I from Wales , but now live in Kent UK - Got a BA in 3D Animation - done some freelance stuff and worked on one CG film that will now never see the light of day - currently working slowly on my short film "Haz-MAtt".

I came here because of a script someone wrote for my uni mate and he told me how useful this site was. When I came was greeted by the friend-est group of Maya user I have found over the net. I also like the little comps they run here - when they run.

Welcome and enjoy

Mayaniac 16-12-2010 12:41 PM

My Name's Steven aka Mayaniac. I'm 21 years old, I was born in Derby but have lived in several places around the country. When I was 14 I moved to America for 7 years before moving back to Derby, where I currently reside.

I first started messing with CGI when I was 14 with Photoshop, gradually worked my way up to 3D modeling apps, starting with the likes of Milkshape, AC3D, Blender, and Maya, though ever since my parents brought me a Wacom for my 18th birthday, I spend most of my time in ZBrush. :giggle:

I first found this site through Google back in 2007, and have been an off and on regular ever since.

murambi 16-12-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

My Name's Steven aka Mayaniac. I'm 21 years old,
damn from your skill level i thought you were in your late 20's

G-Man 16-12-2010 06:42 PM

My name is George, They used to call me Legend, but now I'm just "G-man" I love art in all forms, 2d 3d sculpting, ect. and My focus until recently has always been strictly hard surface modeling, I'm not working on broadening my horizons..Not easy to do in Kentucky LoL
Also..
I found it odd Reading Spanish from Jay!...

G-man

Joey81 17-12-2010 03:53 PM

Hey!

My name is Joe, I'm 29. I started using maya pretty late, 1,5 years before. These days I'm trying to understand how post production programs re working like maya,ps,ae,mudbox,nuke etc...

joey

metalshredder7 18-12-2010 01:30 PM

Hey people
My name is Jack, I'm 17, Live in New Zealand and a month away from college. Since this college is dedicated to the entertainment industry, movie games etc (not what some of you were thinking ;), we are using Maya for modeling. I have been searching around for a decent basics tutorial so I can get the jump and maybe converting from 3ds Max if I can figure out this. I know all the basics and a bit more intermediate stuff in this as I have already semi completed a high poly car using poly modeling, smoothing, everything like that. Im looking forward to posting my stuff as I have recently been checking this site out all the time and have heard you guys are great.
Cheers :D

18-12-2010 01:35 PM

Welcome n00b.

By the way ^this one comes as a spawn of me, so prepare yourselves ;D

metalshredder7 18-12-2010 01:37 PM

gee, thanks S. That REALLY going to brighten my chances of being known for GOOD.

18-12-2010 01:40 PM

Hellz yeh.

TDW 26-12-2010 06:01 PM

TDW has arrived

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and Maya aswell. If been modeling for about 2 years now with Blender and now I'm going to learn Maya. I'm from Germany and I know my english sucks a lot, but sadly there isn't any good Maya forum in my country.

I've modeled mainly for PC games in the past, creatures and stuff, but in future I want to concentrate on getting a bit better and make some cool standalone artworks, like those on the forum header.

Greets, TDW!!! ;)

halfloaf 26-12-2010 07:28 PM

Hi all,

My name is Jacques and I live near Bristol, UK. Originally from South Africa I moved to the UK 8 years ago and do architectural design /work for a day job.

I got into Maya when I had my SGI Octane2 workstation about three years ago...started out on Maya 6.5! I've since then dropped off my 3D stuff a bit as I've devoted most of my free time to restoring a '82 Smallframe Vespa 100.

Hope to get back into my 3D soon!

Gingerman 27-12-2010 12:11 AM

Lo folks

My name is Sean and I live in Glasgow, in the UK. Currently in my 2nd year of my animation course and will be moving into modelling and 3d animation in February with Maya, so I thought I'd get a head start and begin now.

Hope I get to know at least a few of you as I develop my characters (currently attempting to recreate the creatures from Dungeon keeper) and also looking forward to learning from the rest of your work aswell.

aruna 04-01-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 311202)
Welcome to SimplyMaya if you've never posted before you might consider saying hello in here.

You don't need to be a Maya expert to use our forums we're a friendly bunch. I created SimplyMaya in part because it was intimidating to try and join the conversation on a lot of forums. Here we try and be a little different. We have a lot of people here from large studios and a lot of very seasoned Maya users but we try and leave the condescending attitude at the door :) and while i believe there defiantly is such a thing as a stupid question, you wont get laughed out the door for asking it here.

So if your one of the many people that reads the forums but never posts. Say hello :wavespin:

David

Thank you welcoming me on board, David.

Aruna,
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. "

aruna 04-01-2011 09:34 AM

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,:wavespin:

I’m Aruna and living in India. I’ve done Adobe Photoshop and pursuing 3D Maya. I’m passionate about it. I took a decision to have a change in my career. From X to Y, bit scared, too.

I hope you guys will help me out.

Well apart from this, finger crossed, waiting for my first project. :)

Aruna,
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

KRump 09-01-2011 04:26 PM

Hey, I am Kai from Germany. I`m currently Studying and was always interested in 3D & Film(Final Cut etc.), so i choose to learn Maya (which is a little bit hard because everyone in my Class uses 3ds Max). The Tutorials here are a very good start and i hope for the rest i got you guys ;).

Kai

ctbram 09-01-2011 07:24 PM

Hello all,

Rick Mulawa is my name. I was a senior systems engineer providing pre-sales technical support for several major computer manufacturers for over 15 years. I handled high performance computing, and graphics for government labs, Universities, and some major west coast vfx studios.

My initial modeling experience was as a structural engineering consultant performing finite element analysis for the auto industry in Michigan. While working for SGI and Sun Microsystems I had the opportunity to watch the CG artists at ILM and Pixar working on the Jurassic Park, Terminator, and Toy Story movies and became interested in modeling using Maya as a hobby. I have been working with Maya now since version 1.0 and tend to focus on hard surface modeling as I can draw upon my past experience as a structural engineer.

I hold degrees in Aeronautical Engineering (MS), Electrical and Computer Engineering (BS), Computer Science (BS), and just recently received a Doctoral degree in Medical Physics (PhD).

I have been a member of Simply Maya since 2004 and was recently honored to asked to moderate the modeling channel in the forums.

I am still trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up.

bullet1968 09-01-2011 10:26 PM

Welcome aboard aruna and KRump...and ct of course. You will find this the best site on the web for tut's and help. Everyone here is helpful and friendly to the max....enjoy.

cheers bullet

wow Rick...ummm wow..thats some study there mate!

BeAstMaSter 20-01-2011 08:07 PM

Hello everyone, I'm Jerry, long time members with not a lot to say ;)
Have been a custom cabinetmaker and custom furniture builder for 30+ years
samples of work can be seen here:
http://66.92.45.210/

have also had an interest in Maya for quite a while but just couldn't grok the tools.
But have also had illnesses set me back a couple times forgetting more than I learned.
Latest setback was major back surgery where they replaced several discs and screwed me back together.
Will be retired this year and really wanting to get a handle on Maya to help fill some of the free time I'm gonna have.
Figure I'll start by modeling some of the cabinets/furniture I've made since all dimensions/details are in my head.
Will be asking tons of questions about UV's and texturing, including watching the tuts from here.

Also like to tinker with computers in spare time, wanting to build the ultimate beast,
maybe this year :D

anyway, that's me and I'll be lurking around :)

flip_snip3r 03-02-2011 06:42 PM

Hi everyone! Name's Kevin! I'm currently studying 3D Modeling, Animation art and Design at CDI College in Montreal. It's a new program in the campus and I'm among the first batch, after half a year here, I'm enjoying it a lot. Looking forward to learn more from other experienced modelers in the forum as well. I've only handled Maya for a a couple of months so my modeling isn't that great so I hope you guys can guide me as well.

I'm currently making Wing Gundam Zero as a personal project and will be posting it in the WIP. Looking to get feedback.

So yeah, cheers! :)

bullet1968 03-02-2011 09:34 PM

welcome guys...hope the experience here is fun and educational!

cheers bullet

jabbelmous 15-03-2011 11:49 AM

Hi,...

My name is Hilde. I fell into 3D only a few months ago... First Poser, than Cinema4D and finally Maya.
worked as a graphic 2D designer for several years, but it's only now that I 'm really amusing myself, in this virtual world I'm setting up...
I landed on this forum because of an answer to my batch-problem. Thanks a lot, cause I'm still learning learning learning....

Gen 15-03-2011 05:08 PM

Welcome Hilde :). That's funny that you got poked towards the Maya vortex by way of Poser because the same happened to me!

twisteddragon33 15-03-2011 07:06 PM

Thats amusing as i too Went from Poser to (Bryce to Lightwave to) Maya.

I remember the fun days of trying to make animations in poser... wait no i dont.