Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   February Challenge - Speed Machine - CGWolfgang (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35069)

CGWolfgang 05-02-2011 08:39 AM

February Challenge - Speed Machine - CGWolfgang

Hello Everyone,

This is the kind of challenge I can get into! Especially since I need a break of learning the nuances of character modelling/rigging/animation that I've thrown myself into.

I'm going to take a bit to think of something original and see what I can come up with but I'm in!

CGWolfgang 06-02-2011 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay here we go!

My speed challenge entry is going to be a futuristic racer. Going with a wheelless anti-gravity type design on this one. I've went ahead and started blocking out what the design is going to look like. It's VERY rough at this stage especially since my 2d drawing abilities are non existent. I'm going to start on the main hull of the racer later tonight/tomorrow.

tweetytunes 06-02-2011 11:05 PM

Always good to have a ruff blocked out version just to get a feel for the idea - good luck - can`t make out too much of the whole shape but a strong interesting silhouette so far.

CGWolfgang 08-02-2011 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks tweetytunes and good luck to you too! :D

Here is a more defined look after about three hours of modeling. The baseline hull and canopy area are defined although I'm not too happy with the foward arrow scoop. The basic idea is that there will be a secondary layer of panelling to give it further shape and break up the smoothness of the racer without losing too much of its aerodynamic profile. The hollow in the front is for the bit of the engine/internals that will be visible.

bullet1968 08-02-2011 08:11 AM

Hmmmm looks like a squid?

Jay 08-02-2011 09:53 AM

Good, A squid is fast in its environment so.........

J

CGWolfgang 09-02-2011 04:40 AM

Heh, hopefully by the time I'm done it will look more speedy and less "fishy" ;)

THX1138 09-02-2011 01:19 PM

I really like the design your going for CGWolfgang.

CGWolfgang 10-02-2011 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks THX for the compliment!

Here is the final "base" of the racer that a lot of the other paneling and detailing will be built in and around of. I know its not much since the last posted update but I was having trouble getting the overall foward boom's figured out. I was looking at doing something more fancy but after awhile I figured going for a straight foward look would be the best bet.

Now a quick break and then moving to starting the finer details!:D

bullet1968 10-02-2011 05:04 AM

Looking good mate!! this will be a beauty!!

Jay 10-02-2011 07:51 AM

dude this looks cool and its not even finished

keep it going

J

CGWolfgang 12-02-2011 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick update before I head to work... ugg I hate working on the weekends it get's into my Maya "free" time! :furious:

Added in the panelling for the foward booms and added in cutouts for future detailing. Still havent connected them though. Hopefully I can get them connected tonight as I start the panelling down the main hull.

I kind of rushed the AO pass to show something so hopefully its clear as to what I'm going for.

septopus 12-02-2011 09:10 PM

watching this one. nice design. add more detail :p

bullet1968 12-02-2011 09:12 PM

Now its starting to look nice mate...well done!

G-Man 13-02-2011 07:36 PM

i'm liking this design myself, want to see how this one turns out

G-man

CGWolfgang 17-02-2011 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the positive support guys.

Here's another update I'm almost done with the overall design and can go in for the really fine detailing work. Just have to do a rear spoiler, some last bit of detail to the back quarter and rough out the rear anti-gravity emitters.

septopus: I'm trying to do the detail in layers so I'll definitely add more! :happy:

Unfortunately I have a good news and bad news announcement. The good news is I'm finally getting to go to the repair school I've been requesting to go to for about a year now! The bad news is they're probably going to send me sometime next week. So I will definitely not be finishing everything I want to do with this guy if I get to finish at all. I'm not bowing out just yet I'm going to see how far I get. But I'm going to have to make concessions to see if I can finish on time. So no detailing of the interior, the landing skids and the air brakes are iffy.

bullet1968 17-02-2011 08:28 AM

That is coming along nicely mate...I hope you get more done before the new gig man...that would be a shame if you cant!

cheers bullet

CGWolfgang 20-02-2011 12:51 AM

I know what you mean bullet. I really want to finish this competition! I'll be gone for a while with no internet but I'll have my laptop so the Maya training will continue!:nerd:

CGWolfgang 20-02-2011 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more update before I go back through the model to start the fine detailing.

mastone 20-02-2011 01:01 AM

Looks great !!

CGWolfgang 24-02-2011 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update before I go to bed.

Quick question though. I'm running 2011 on my home PC but run 2009 on my laptop. Can I access 2011 files with 2009? I know you couldn't before but I'm hoping I can. While I think I'll get to a decent entry by the deadline theres more I want to do to this and if I can take my work with me then I can finish some of it while I'm away. After this is all said and done I'm going to go ahead and texture it and maybe even build a scene around it.

Either way I'm glad this challenge came around I can see where one of my big weaknesses is at in graphics. Pre-modeling prep time and concept building on paper.

tweetytunes 24-02-2011 08:45 AM

When you go to open the file click the box - there is an option to "ignore version" - I think has been there since 2008 - but double check as I no longer have 2009 < on my system - so far I have never had it fail on me between 2010 and 2011.

Anyway - looking good

CGWolfgang 25-02-2011 04:44 AM

Thanks for the head's up tweety! It would be nice to take this guy along with me.

THX1138 26-02-2011 05:33 PM

This is another one of the entries I think also has a good chance of winning. My only suggestion is the entire body needs some fine paneling detail to fill in the bare spots. It's such a big craft, and it would help illustrate how it could have been manufactured.

Anyway, great entry CGwolfgang!