Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   February Challenge - Speed Machine - Bullet (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35083)

bullet1968 08-02-2011 08:32 AM

February Challenge - Speed Machine - Bullet

Ok so Im a schmuk....sigh...I will start this then work will steal my life away again...I bet...

bullet1968 09-02-2011 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok concept 1 on the board...straight out of my skull...no refs etc etc...might change it a bit...Im happy with the body as it stands.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968 09-02-2011 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmmmmmmm dunno about this one...........crits?

THX1138 09-02-2011 01:09 PM

Hey, that looks pretty good bullet1968, now all you got to do is add mega detail and you got your self a great entry.

tweetytunes 09-02-2011 02:04 PM

wings and tail need some thickness to them and then yer like THX said some more detail

twisteddragon33 09-02-2011 02:44 PM

More detail. And i dont know why but stuff like this doesnt look right if i dont see weapons. I know its speed based but how often do you see spaceships without guns?

stwert 09-02-2011 05:27 PM

How often do you see a spaceship with guns? I don't think I've ever seen a real one. Anyway, nice work so far bullet!

bullet1968 09-02-2011 09:14 PM

Thanks guys,

yeh the tail etc are just drft planar shapes...I havent decided what to go with. Its not a spaceship LOL...its an open water racing boat...ok now you made me tell you LOL. I dont like the shape of the cockpit though...I might change that. The 'wings' are hydrofoils...I am still deciding what shape they will be. The tail fin is for steering...though I might get rid of that entirely.

cheers bullet

And TD you are as bad as me LOL...GUNS..he he he he he...how about a fishing rod or 3 instead.

CGWolfgang 10-02-2011 02:28 AM

Looking good Bullet Nice and sleek!

bullet1968 10-02-2011 03:09 AM

Thanks CG...dunno....Im not happy with it the more I look at it......hmmmmm the cockpit is really doing my head in.....I might try another draft at lunchtime....I do the drafts in planar shapes then start to work on them...so they are templates more than anything.

Cheers bullet

Ozgalis 10-02-2011 04:39 AM

hey bullet you could try making the cockpit more stream line and make the tail fin form from the cock pit and work its way back. I am not sure if that really explained anything, if I have a chance in the next few days I will show you what I mean, unless you come up with an idea by then.

bullet1968 10-02-2011 05:03 AM

Yeh the fin is meant to come from the cockpit mate....it probably doesnt show too well...I have altered it....new body coming to a SM forum near you!...LOL

I have altered the top shape slightly...will post as soon as I can.

cheers bullet

bullet1968 10-02-2011 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok change of plans....here is the new shape and I like the cockpit a lot more now....

cheers bullet

shaimon 10-02-2011 07:42 AM

I think image that drawed rough will help u, but the process is boring.
I'm working with like that now.

bullet1968 10-02-2011 07:51 AM

Im an Engineering Surveyor my friend LOL and I am quite used to the change of plans and draft after draft LOL....yes it is boring but you get used to it...LOL. It will be the model...as I draft I get things very close to position then its just a matter of snapping points together...then the detail starts...he he he he...

When you see the amount of points and lines I have to edit when I recieve an AutoCAD design file...well Maya is nothing really...points wise....its a lot more stressful trying to get pipes under roads on their correct lines and roads in the right place etc etc...Maya is fun....even if it is boring mate...no stress.

cheers bullet

bullet1968 10-02-2011 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok joined the body....what do you all think?? or should I scrap it and start again??

tweetytunes 10-02-2011 12:07 PM

its looking cool keep going - you know you only have 18 days left - starting again would not be a good idea.

I`m just not sold on the orange colour

honestdom 10-02-2011 12:57 PM

hey man, not read the thread... is this a boat? if it is, i think its a cool idea. looks good. if its not, then why not? haha

whats with the blotchy final gather tho?

bullet1968 10-02-2011 01:09 PM

Bahahaha Tweety its not going to be orange, thanks man

Its just an IBL Dom with shitty fianl gather...I actually quite like it like that...gives it an unfinished dirty look LOL like my 4WD at the moment....yeh its a boat mate...Im going for a hydrofoil arrangement, everyone does cars, spaceships etc etc so I thought a boat would be nice for a change...I was thinking of a land sail...Mars orientated..you know desert kinda thing...seeing I live in a desert but went the foil instead....thanks mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968 10-02-2011 01:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Which colour would you like Tweety??

twisteddragon33 10-02-2011 02:41 PM

I know how it is bullet. Im in the printing field layout out things tediously all day and fixing other peoples sloppy layouts. At that point mayas simplicity is menial tasks is almost comforting.

I do like the design of the new hydrofoil. I think this is the only watercraft in the challenge so nice originality.

... and you could still put guns on it...

twisteddragon33 10-02-2011 02:42 PM

I would avoid black because IMO you lose a lot of detail to lighting.

tweetytunes 10-02-2011 04:24 PM

saying that I like the black and yellow one. - just to be a pain in the ***

twisteddragon33 10-02-2011 08:54 PM

*shakes fist in the air*

How DARE you!

Just be careful with lighting with black. While modeling cars i noticed using black makes some finer detail lost to shadows. A way to fix that is more lights at lower intensity but even that can cause some unexpected problems.

... and i like green.

stwert 10-02-2011 09:03 PM

Or make it a quite dark grey or purple. Nothing is really truly black anyway.

bullet1968 10-02-2011 09:32 PM

bahahahah you guys are great.

James Bond guns TD? you know a couple of 50 cal that pop up in the front and maybe a small rocket pod popping up in the rear...LOL...nah she is a racer...

To be honest TD I wasnt going to join...after the last 3 months with Civil drawings and design, now I have been hit with the Lanscape/Artwork designs and Im back in the crap...I havent really wanted to touch Maya for over a month, spending all day redesigning stuff...when I get home after 13 hours mate I just couldnt be bothered. As this seemed simple enough I have forced myself really...but yes you are correct, no stress, no road or pipe levels to worry about and I dont have 10-20 people relying on me to peg stuff out for them. I can grab a beer and sit down an relax in a way...Im going to do art classes at the end of the year...something I have always wanted to do, brush up on my drawing skills. The wife is already calling ma an 'arty farty' LOL...she doesnt understand the relaxing nature of art and Maya as well, it takes my mind off of the tedious Surveying...if only briefly, and cheers mate I like the newer design too.

Yeh stwert how did you bloody know??? I was actually going to give it a Deep Purple irradescent look or just plain gloss!!! Im going to check out some colour schemes on the weekend.

cheers bullet

bullet1968 11-02-2011 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok had a sly hour in the crib room...so I did the foil attachment....basically the centre 'pole' is shaped like a vertical wing...bolted to the centre of the frame. The foil itself has carbon fibre cables that loop through the top of the centre pole and are tensioned within the box you see on top.

cheers bullet

Jay 11-02-2011 08:06 AM

Bullet, good job mate.

It reminds me of the Wipeout game vehicles - very cool.

J

bullet1968 11-02-2011 09:06 AM

LOL thanks J....I was trying to bloody remember the game today!! wow that is scary!! I used to play it ALL the time...loved it...was a classic in its day.

G-Man 11-02-2011 10:05 AM

i'm digging it mate.
Not sure about the color scheme's though...But then again, Wipe out did have all those bright neon colors on their ships didn't it? LoL.

All in all i like the design, Though as i look at it, i see more of a racing boat, but two ski's under the front to hold the nose up for less water resistance. what do they call those...hydrofoil boats i think?

Either way, Looks good :)
G-man

tweetytunes 11-02-2011 10:51 AM

Yer not liking the colour but loving the shape - but then this is not a textured challenge just model so don`t worry about the colour and keep doing what your doing time be a slipping away - should be back to mine 2mo so watch out hehehehe

bullet1968 11-02-2011 02:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
LOL thanks guys...I have given it a colour now that even I like...but as you say Tweety it aint the paint we are worried about...hope you get some good time in 2mor then mate!! I know you are good so you wont have any trouble.

Just about done I think for the external...just the props to go really...and a few bolts etc. Im sorta happy...still dunno though...hhhhhmmmmmmmm...interior next...recaro seat and a decent stereo LOL.

cheers bullet

stwert 11-02-2011 05:41 PM

Those stripes for me aren't really visually speedy, kinda like slimming (or not) stripes.

bullet1968 11-02-2011 07:02 PM

Cos Im fat...I like slim...bahaha......none of the colours here will be used mate...that will be the only time I use refs...I will be using F1 boat schemes.

THX1138 11-02-2011 09:50 PM

I like the yellow scheme you have got going bullet1968. Reminds me of one of the vehicles from Disney's CONDOR MAN ( circa 1981. )

Joey81 11-02-2011 11:19 PM

$h!t Anthony. Your Zeebra looking really good :)

bullet1968 12-02-2011 12:20 AM

LOL THX thats a bloody long time ago!!!! Thanks Joey LOL a zebra might have trouble swimming though! Cheers guys

bullet

bullet1968 12-02-2011 06:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Props done...throw the crits and demoralise me LOL

tweetytunes 12-02-2011 09:34 AM

I hope you don`t take this the wrong way but foucas on model not lighting/texturing - another render another set of colours and reflection maps ??? - If you worry what peeps are saying about the colour go back to grey.
you must be wasting some much time on this and its not needed

They look quite nice if not a little painful to look at (trying to sort the model from the reflections)

bullet1968 12-02-2011 09:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
bahahahah tweety it takes me about 3 mins to muck around with the textures mate...they are already there and all I do is change the colour and tone...and flick a noise node on it....donna worry mate....Im VERY used to changing stuff really quickly....I do it a hundred times a day mate in Civilcad man...and that..trust me is bloody nightmarish. As soon as I change something I then have to go through the model and make sure nothing conflicts...ie manholes versus kerbs, pipes versus concrete plynths etc LOL.

Anyway here is the seat...just the belts to do.

cheers bullet

helps with an image, this one better Tweety?? not so bright...sorry