Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March Challenge - Environment - Some Guy (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35197)

stwert 03-03-2011 11:59 PM

Focal length is the distance from the front of the lens to the sensor or film, so that corresponds to whether you have a telephoto, or a wide-angle etc. The shot you have there looks like it would quite a wide-angle shot, so a focal length of 18mm or something like that. Is that right, Dom?

Some Guy 04-03-2011 02:16 AM

For the child i am thinking make an obvious box helmet and make the hand a little more noticable (somehow)

The Focal Length is set to 35mm with a 90 Degree viewing angle. When you make a new camera i just scrolled through the options and set it to IMAX

honestdom 04-03-2011 10:58 AM

yeah that sounds about right stwert.

you have a 35mm lens on a 70mm film back (imax). it looks completely different from a 35mm lens on a 35mm film. it looks super wide, like an 18.
what you are doing is like taking a photo and deciding you want to have a wider view. so instead of changing the lens, you keep the lens and change the camera body.
i guess there is nothing wrong with it as long as you know whats happening and why. its not a good habit to get into if you ask me.

Some Guy 06-03-2011 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Allo Allo!
Changed a whole buncha-muncha stuff!

Camera is now 35mm with a wide angle lens, personally i dont see much of a difference but hey, I've learnt something new! Added a planet to the background, changed the main creatures pose, added some foreground elements and re-did all of the lighting. The kid looks a little more like a kid but i still have some work to do. Thats about all for now.

Cheerio Lads/Ladies

Some Guy 06-03-2011 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Slightly different pose...

Chirone 06-03-2011 03:07 AM

the front most creature looks better in the first shot i think.
In the second it looks like it's about to collapse

also in the first one, it doesn't look like the feet should be able to reach that high, it looks more like the feet would never leave a meter or two off the ground on a creature that big

bullet1968 06-03-2011 04:10 AM

would a position of suspicion be better SG...or maybe like a cat about to touch something unknown??? I agree the first shot was better, creatures 2 and 3 look better in the 2nd shot...more composed. The 1st creature..1st shot combined with creatures 2 and 3 in second shot would give it a more nomadic feel to it...where the main group is on a spring trail and 1 of them has spotted something that is unusual...just my thoughts...

Some Guy 06-03-2011 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have taken both of your suggestions into account and produced this!
I might try it again but with the creature at the front low down again, shall see in the morning when im less sleepy...

bullet1968 07-03-2011 12:30 AM

That looks a lot better mate, for sure.

cheer bullet

Some Guy 07-03-2011 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!
Also here is a viewport shot for anybody interested. Right infront of the camera is all the foreground stuff, to get a sense of scale!

Chirone 07-03-2011 04:47 AM

how'd you make the mountain?

honestdom 07-03-2011 09:57 AM

sculpt geometry tool maybe?

...hehe, looks like war of the worlds in that last picture.
I like this so far, pretty fun. although when you said the elephant things were in the background and therefore low poly, i thought they would be in the far background, and not playing such and important part in the scene.
the 2 bg ones look fine, but the mid ground one should be higher poly i think. perhaps just around the belly.

Some Guy 09-03-2011 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sup all. Managed to find more time on this. Yeah the mountain was just a poly plane and soft selection. I added a wave deformer to make it less smooth, looks much better now. Just adding more elements to the background, changed the planet, added some moons, added some more towers. Changed the front creature to have a smoother belly, the shell is meant to be rigid looking but i added some depth to it.

Not quite sure what I want to do with the foreground. I like the sense of scale that the background gives at the moment though so that shouldnt change much...

Peace

EDIT: Just noticed how strong the fog is... I'll tone that down too...

Some Guy 10-03-2011 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Done more! I think the poses are what they will be in the final. All thats left is more detail on the foreground and maybe make the child/box look like they have just landed (smoke and dust...)

peace

Some Guy 10-03-2011 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BAM...
Added Hi-res ground textures and moved some stuff around... Also put back the old helmet, i like the colour!

suggestions?