Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March Challenge - Environment - GecT (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35206)

bullet1968 13-03-2011 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL I was thinking the same thing J.....well I couldnt remember the word 'lattice' I had 'hull' in the brain...dooohh

here Genny something like this...forgive my poor quality of work...but the Xmembers should look similar IF you are going for some realism....I hope Im not annoying you?

cheers bullet

Gen 13-03-2011 05:18 PM

Bullet, I don't mind the help at all. I've been looking at a ton of ref images and I've definitely seen those on houses but those often look neat, modern and sturdy. I want more of a dilapidated, slap dash shack with stuff just tacked onto it over time. More random pieces to come :D

Chirone, I used that script I linked you :3, for irregularity. Then I used the soft mod (with a global falloff so it affects everything around it) to sag some parts.

Thanks Jay! That's exactly what I'm going for ^^

Updates coming soon!

Chirone 13-03-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GecT (Post 316055)
Chirone, I used that script I linked you :3, for irregularity. Then I used the soft mod (with a global falloff so it affects everything around it) to sag some parts.

I suspected as much!

Jay, thanks for you insight :happy:

Gen 25-03-2011 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE!..finally.

Did I ever mention how much I loathe UV mapping? I know I won't have time to make all the little tidbits that reflect the daily lives of the inhabitants so I'll just have to roll with it.
I have quite a bit to do in a short time, like get those boats in there, spruce up the sky, assemble the mats for the houses (that's the big one), gamma correction, setup the passes and get it out.

bullet1968 25-03-2011 09:16 PM

Wow Gen!! that is certainly a difference...well done,,,I like it so far. I assume the plants were converted to poly's?? if so how did the PC handle the render? mine usually dies LOL

Chirone 25-03-2011 09:37 PM

oily rainbow coloured wooden houses?
either way, it looks amazing! good to see another entry that has colour to it!

Gen 25-03-2011 10:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks! The grass patches are proxies, my graphics card would probably punch me in the chops for trying to have that many polys.

And no, they're not oily rainbow colored houses lol, its just the UV test texture >.>

screenies!

daverave 25-03-2011 10:48 PM

That looks nice Genny but I dont think you need so meny houses in the background..........dave

Edit:may be some land mass in the background

Chirone 25-03-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GecT (Post 316686)
And no, they're not oily rainbow colored houses lol, its just the UV test texture >.>

awwww, they actually looked quite cool from afar though :D

where'd you get such texture?

Gen 25-03-2011 11:02 PM

Thanks and you're right Dave, though its a lot of fun to see what the machine can handle.

Gen 25-03-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chirone
awwww, they actually looked quite cool from afar though :D

where'd you get such texture?

I Googled and found some good ones but I liked this one the best.

http://samuka3000.deviantart.com/art...t-Map-82250906

Chirone 25-03-2011 11:09 PM

thanks, that's way better than the stupid one i was using!

daverave 25-03-2011 11:16 PM

Hope you dont mind Genny but another suggestion, you need some form of boats may be in the grass just showing.......dave

Edit: I look at thing in two ways does it look good and how does it work, yours ticks the first box but how do these people move around

Gen 26-03-2011 12:16 AM

I don't mind suggestions at all, atleast I'm getting feedback. Though I did say I was adding boats when I posted the last render :p

daverave 26-03-2011 12:25 AM

Sorry did not see that one..............dave