Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bullets Space Marine (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35341)

bullet1968 24-03-2011 12:24 PM

Bullets Space Marine

5 Attachment(s)
Ok...my mate has asked me to do a model for him...a Warhammer 40k Space Marine...I have explained to him that I suck at modelling and I have 40 000 other models to finish LOL...none the less I relented...sigh. I have been told the helmet can improve a million miles...I would like some feedback please guys. I dont want to make it a WIP as I think it isnt worthy of it...and it is just a favour...anyhoo throw some veges my way...I need the food.

Thanks bullet

David 24-03-2011 12:40 PM

Moved to WIP mate. Looking pretty good so far. Although i would tone down the car paint shader a bit, kind of looks like a reject from a gay pride disco :D

Dave

bullet1968 24-03-2011 12:46 PM

Thanks David...you cad! I didnt want to WIP it...sigh..you really know how to put pressure on a man LOL. No the Blue/Gold are the colours but it wont be like that. Hmmmm I take it you have been to Sydney before??? bahahahahaha....

When I do get to the texture side...I will more than likely go for an urban cammy...unless some one else has a better idea? or maybe a forest slash cammy....There is a bit of a dent in the helmet...edge loops...damn it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thank you mate..I still dont think it is worthy....but I guess thats why you have put it here, I think my old boss used to call it 'character building'..?? LOL

daverave 24-03-2011 01:35 PM

Looking good Bullet, you might want to get some more references for the helmet I dont think thye eye part looks like that.........dave

bullet1968 24-03-2011 01:50 PM

Thanks mate...no I have made it so..on purpose...and I have a zillion refs to some quite outstanding kit forms mate......they are quite different! I didnt know there were so bloody many different configs LOL. No I thought about it...I may change the shape...but one thing ALL war helmets seem to lack is peripheral vision..so I am trying to convey a wide arc of vision. But your input does help man...Im still trying to figure out how to do it without making it bug eyed....if you know what I mean?? that is something Im still not sure of.

cheers mate

TDW 24-03-2011 04:36 PM

Looking pretty cool!!! ;) In case it is supposed to be a game char, maybe test possible clipping issues, especially with the pauldrons.

TDW ;)

bullet1968 24-03-2011 09:22 PM

Thanks TDW...no its for a friend to use as a wallpaper...Im a hobbyist...miles away from game characters....it will more than likely end up as a poster on his wall LOL

cheers bullet

TDW 25-03-2011 02:02 AM

Anyway, nice gift for a friend. Once I've learned how to render my stuff properly, I'll make myself some nice wallpaper as well. Most wallpapers you can buy in shops are not better than many of the works I've seen here on the forums. Maybe even sell some in a few years... :)

TDW ;)

bullet1968 25-03-2011 02:53 AM

Money!! now you are talkin mate, it would be nice to make a bit of cash on the side LOL

bullet1968 26-03-2011 08:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure about this helmet and the airflow cap?????? hhmmmmmmmm

bullet1968 27-03-2011 07:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hmmmmmmmm still not sure about this...did some ear type attachments...crits etc please?

dont have a s-*/load of refs of the backpack either...sort of wingin it..hope to have the backpack out tonight as my workin week starts in 12 hours...sigh..did some more on Ramsay as well Jay..not enough to post though...I havent left him behind.

cheers

paldav 27-03-2011 10:29 AM

looking good, i like the helmet a lot

bullet1968 27-03-2011 11:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks mate....left it for a while and workin on the jetpack to ease the brain...

Ok this noob is hitting the hay...had a reasonable arvo..I hope????? modelling wise..got a couple of hours in. The last image of the heat plate....or whatever it is...the boolean didnt quite work for some reason and deleted faces around the edge. So I either fix it by hand...or cheat and put a frame around it to hide them..as they are not co-linear in their deletion..appears almost random..still I am happy so far.

Throw the veges at it...I need the food for my children...

Cheers bullet

Vortexx 27-03-2011 04:40 PM

WOW m8 your modeling is gr8! wish I could do something like that..... Keep up the good work.

daverave 27-03-2011 06:14 PM

Looking good bullet...........dave

bullet1968 27-03-2011 09:18 PM

Thanks guys...that will be all for the week I think...busy at work again LOL

Vortexx 28-03-2011 05:15 AM

Did you use Ply and Nurbs to model ? What is your trick to hard surface modeling adding edge loops or creases ?

bullet1968 28-03-2011 05:38 AM

Edge loops, bevels, whatever works mate...sometimes I do one..then delete and try another and see how the geo deforms..if I even deform it. I did the most in polys...I have used curves on live surfaces for the pipework around the helmet and extruded shapes along the path....that doesnt always waork either..I just experiment really mate. Im not so afraid of NURBS though I do not have the skills to model completely with them...but Im learning a little here and there.

Vortexx 28-03-2011 09:44 AM

When one does a model like this do you combine the complete armor mesh into one big one or keep it separate? Like the helmet, is that one mesh ?

How did you do the mouth section? It that a projection of a curve?

Apologies if I bug you to much about all the stuff...But the model looks great and that's where I want to be by hopefully end of this year if all goes well.

bullet1968 28-03-2011 10:01 AM

LOL Im flattered mate as I think my skills are very amateurish...I have only been doing it as a hobby for about a year, I have a LONG way to go to be as good as ctbram, tweety or daverave, paldav or anyone I know on here (if I didnt mention your name...it wasnt ignorance just too many of you LOL).

I used to try and combine it all but it was pointed out that isnt required. The helmet was seperate but I did combine the shell, the face is seperate as are the tubes etc on the helmet itself. No the only curves I used are on the air intake at the top and the tubes at the side...the rest started as cubes or cylinder poly's mate.

The spongy looking stuff between the legs and knees are just helix's manipulated. I try and do as many of the free tuts on here and Free friday is cool man (though some I do anyway in my models). I try and do bits of things like the Rain tut and some Dynaimcs as well as the tutorials proper. I would recommend (depending on your skill of course) the Spitfire tutorial....that wasnt too hard....it has a bit of everything in it.

It really depends on what you want to do...I WILL recommend the lighting tutorial...it doesnt matter if you have a model so good Lucas craps his pants...if the lighting is crap..the model will look crap LOL...so DO that one in you spare time whilst you model. I cant do organics but now that I have achieved 'toddler' status amongst all the good artists here...I went for Jays Chef Ramsay...I felt daunted but once I got into it...it isnt overly taxing on the brain. Just take it slow and take notes...I have a book now where I listen and watch and take notes as well as model, or light.

Im really getting enthused and hope to one day produce something as good as the guys here can....DONT get discouraged and take the crits from those (you will work them out) as help because thats what we are all here for...to have FUN and to help anyone we can...because thats what makes Simply Maya the best damn place on the net mate....but dont forget...hard work from you will be the thing that makes the difference!!

I will post some wires soon for you man so you can see whats going on...smoothed and unsmoothed...TIP, not EVERYTHING has to be smoothed...sometimes just bevels etc are fine..depending on the material and how close you are going to get.......

cheers bullet

bullet1968 28-03-2011 12:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok some wires for those who are interested

cheers bullet

Vortexx 28-03-2011 01:38 PM

bullet, appreciate the post and thanks for the motivation, Maya is really hard to learn and takes loads of time doing it part time. Wish I could spend more time on it.

Thanks for the wire frames

Have to say your work is really great, you definitely have the Maya gene in you

Cheers m8

G-Man 28-03-2011 03:32 PM

coming along great mate.....starting to make me wish i'd finished the one i started a few months back now.

g-man

bullet1968 28-03-2011 09:10 PM

Thanks guys..appreciate it a lot...you can still do one LOZ.....

I duno about the Maya gene mate...wish I had the Lotto gene LOL then I could do it fulltime.

cheers bullet

Mayaniac 28-03-2011 09:18 PM

Good start.... awaiting epic battle animation!

daverave 28-03-2011 09:24 PM

Hi bullet
Thank god for that I thought you had turned into miss nova with here long posts LOL, good to see you are using smoothed and unsmoothed meshes its comming along nicely. Ho yes is that ozy dollars I need to send..........LOL......dave

bullet1968 28-03-2011 09:30 PM

LOL yeh steve I have been ROPED in and am told I should be animating it...thats the scary bit...never rigged before...so i will have to watch how I keep doing this fella.

Thanks dave...yeh Im trying to get out of the habit of smoothing all now mate...I can see why...yep Aussie dollars are fine thanks...they are worth a bit now LOL...must be all them holes we keep digging in the backyard.

If LOZ pulls his finger out steve...we could have that battle eh?? he he he he

G-Man 29-03-2011 01:55 AM

Nah mate, iff'n i finish the one i started a while back, i'll wait a bit...don't want to steal any of your fire....I always hated having two of the same models on teh board at the same time....you end up comparing the two which isnt always a good thing..( unless its tutorial work ups anyway)..
G-man

Vortexx 29-03-2011 06:00 AM

Bullet,

What do you mean by smoothed and unsmoothed meshes? is that when you hit 1 or 2 on the keyboard in Maya? or is it when you do hard edges?

Didn't notice you from Australia, myself and my wife are immigrating to Australia in 6 months time.

Again thanks for your posts

bullet1968 29-03-2011 06:16 AM

You are Polish?? maybe?? or Irish?? cos thats where everyone is coming from LOL...you are in construction?

Smoth 'preview' is on the keyboard yes, it gives you what it will look like when you actually use the smooth command in Mesh>Smooth...this smooth is permanent so be careful...if you smooth and save you CANNOT decrease the oly count in the object you have smoothed.

So some geo will be 'smoothed' for finals...and some will not be touched...ie just bevelled to make look smoth...but the geo isnt altered..Ok?

cheers bullet

Vortexx 29-03-2011 10:26 AM

Yea Mechanical engineer, building services. No we are from South Africa. :-)

Nilla 29-03-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverave (Post 316851)
Hi bullet
Thank god for that I thought you had turned into miss nova with here long posts LOL, good to see you are using smoothed and unsmoothed meshes its comming along nicely. Ho yes is that ozy dollars I need to send..........LOL......dave

I know, I know imagine my e-mails :wub: Working on interviews & articles instead to get it out :D

Looks good so far bullet!

bullet1968 29-03-2011 09:18 PM

Thanks Miss Nova.....naughty people arent they.....

daverave 29-03-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss_Nova (Post 316896)
I know, I know imagine my e-mails :wub: Working on interviews & articles instead to get it out :D

Looks good so far bullet!

I think you dodged a bullet there bullet LOL, shes down to two sentences..LOL.........dave

bullet1968 29-03-2011 11:11 PM

Bahahahah yeh I see that dave....still dodging........LOL

G-Man 29-03-2011 11:45 PM

LmAo! @ Miss Nova and her Mini
Novels....
not that i am much better when she and i are talking on skype butttttt

Gotta love reading books to take part in a conversation.

G-man

Nilla 30-03-2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverave (Post 316927)
I think you dodged a bullet there bullet LOL, shes down to two sentences..LOL.........dave

I'm applying the twitter principle of max 140 characters from now on since nobody wants to wade through a ton of nonsense :mstickle:

Miss Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

bullet1968 01-04-2011 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I have started the arms..then Im giving this sucker a break and heading on back to Ramsay if I get time this week. I dont like what I have here...it reminds me of Robbie the Robot...any crits would be nice, throw the fruit

cheer bullet

daverave 01-04-2011 12:53 PM

Whats the problem bullet, it looks like it is comming along nicely. The only thing that is a little of putting to me is the leg pose they always have there legs bent(weight of suit?)............dave

bullet1968 01-04-2011 01:26 PM

LOL thanks dave....mate thats the back ref Im using...and just about every image I see...no legs are straight...its either the suit or they are all born cowboys?? LOL...you think its ok? I looked everywhere for an internal arm ref but couldnt see any...I guess it wont be seen eh....I will change the knee pads slightly...saw some nicer shaped ones...then I will give him a hand up I think, Im kinda not liking the leg pose either..LOL...

cheers bullet

P.S I am going to give it a break for a week though....I think Im hitting a dead end detail wise ATM