Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Interview for me - whoo hoo (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35378)

tweetytunes 29-03-2011 05:26 PM

Interview for me - whoo hoo

OH MY GOD ... Finally a interview for a Job within the 3D world.

Its just a runner job but still - It`s for the Mill in London.
Have to phone them tomorrow to set it up - but this has put a big smile on my face.

Any tips or ideas what they will ask me will be massively welcome right now as I really can`t mess this interview up. I feel like its Christmas and I`m ten years old.

After the last few months this is the best thing to happen for me.

LauriePriest 29-03-2011 05:34 PM

Ah it will be fine !

Mega enthusiasm but thats a given. Other than that be aware of the roles you will be doing after running and show you know what will be expected of you.

Maybe read some junior 3D job descriptions so you know what might be expected of you and you can read up on anything your not sure about.

e.g. if they say, after a while we will probably get you doing some matchmove, have you done any before?

Dont say: `what's matchmove? `

GZ on the interview!

Gen 29-03-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauriePriest
e.g. if they say, after a while we will probably get you doing some matchmove, have you done any before?

Dont say: `what's matchmove? `....

LOL

@ Neil

It's finally happening, no pressure though!

Seriously , grats on the interview. Sending luck from Florida :wavespin:

honestdom 29-03-2011 06:47 PM

cool, i know a couple of guys who were runners at the mill. they said it was a good place.
good luck.

Jay 29-03-2011 08:12 PM

Well done lad!! See it does happen!! All I can say is good luck, be confident but not cocky with it.

Good show, keep us posted!!

Jay

gster123 30-03-2011 06:51 AM

Congrats mate!

Keep us posted with the result!

Good luck!

bullet1968 30-03-2011 09:36 AM

Well done Neil!!!!!!!!bloody good show old boy.... I agree with Laurie..I know nothing about the 3D world but in the real world...get a little knowledge on the company..what they do etc..not heaps but enough to answer some questions they may ask...which again gets back to Lauries comment....agree with Jay..confident not cocky, more importantly RELAX...dont get hyper man LOL I see guys do this all the time...be you....good luck with it mate...I really hope it all goes well...foot in the door!!! YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY

All the best Ant

tweetytunes 30-03-2011 11:06 AM

Well just got the conformational its next wed at 11:30 - gives me some time to get some work done - but not too much I end up back on my back hehe.

Thanks for all the kind words

bullet1968 30-03-2011 11:28 AM

No! dont end up back on your back...keep the front on the front mate...bugger eating hospital food! eeeewwwwwwwww

Vortexx 30-03-2011 11:36 AM

Stupid question but what do you do as a runner? Never heard that term before, but then again I'm not in the 3D world

David 30-03-2011 01:45 PM

@Vortexx pretty much you run around and do what ever they tell you. Can be anything from pick up the rushes to fetch tea.

Its a very popular way into the tv or film business, I did it myself for a while when i worked at tristar many many years ago.

Dave :)

Ozgalis 31-03-2011 03:56 AM

hey man congrats on the interview hope all goes well

tweetytunes 04-04-2011 08:41 PM

OK starting to get stuff together for wed - But should I take work in for a runners position.

Another problem I got is what do I wear - I know a suit may be over the top, but a job interview is also too much in the wrong direction.

Jay 04-04-2011 08:48 PM

Nothing wrong with a suit mate. Though a casual jacket blazer shirt is okay. Ive done a couple of interviews in a blazer, shirt jeans and smart shoes, got the job both times so....

Jay

David 04-04-2011 08:49 PM

My advice put a suit on. Shows your serious and you can be assed to make an effort. You might want to skip the tie though :D

Dave

elephantinc 04-04-2011 08:59 PM

I've done 5 interviews for universities, I know it's not the same but I wore a suit every time. The worst thing that could happen if you wear a suit is that you look like a bit of a fool if you're in a room with 5 people dressed casually but if you go in too casually then people might think you don't care that much.

tweetytunes 04-04-2011 09:17 PM

Cheers

Thinking going smart is the way then - what about the work - do I take it or not ??

Ozgalis 04-04-2011 09:28 PM

I would say take it, it gets you in the door for future CG jobs, although it might not be what your looking for at the moment

bullet1968 04-04-2011 09:33 PM

I agree with David in part...a suit looks the part and more serious, though a smart pair of jeans, shoes and decent shirt will do the trick. Though I have been told by some (myself included in employer ranks) that these days a lot of people frown on a suit...depends on the persons doing the interview. You will be fine tweety, the clothes will help but at the end of the day...they will be looking at you mate..relax and be you.

cheers bullet

honestdom 04-04-2011 09:47 PM

id say no suit. i agree with bullet, you can look smart with out a suit. I bet you could count the number of people in the mill wearing suits on one hand.
Also i wouldn't bother taking work to show them, i would look at some of the work they have done recently tho.
This is a great ad that the mill completed for the superbowl. Tell them how much you like it, they will probably love that. :)
YouTube - Volkswagen Beetle 2011 Super Bowl XLV television commercial

and here is the making of

YouTube - Volkswagen: The Making of the "Black Beetle" Commercial

tweetytunes 04-04-2011 10:43 PM

Cheers guys - The videos well cool man thx. Going to be bricking it come wed, but I find thats when I do my best - I`m good with people, but its the first impressions I just want to get right.

My uni interview went a little bit like - Can I apply for this course, sure just sign here - booklet is just over there, that will breakdown the course for you - we will send you a info pack next week - no pack turned up just an acceptance letter - true story.

tweetytunes 05-04-2011 11:24 PM

Well off to bed now - early start for me 2mo - cloths sorted (washed, ironed and hanging)- watched about as much stuff as I can by the mill - got lots of examples of the things I like within the industry and a few things I dont (games/film/tv) - I know my skills and where I am lacking - hoping for good nights sleep - Know what the role of a runner is - think that should cover it ....

Wish me luck - Many thx guys - nothing more you guys can do for me now (unless you know the girl interviewing me and you can somehow tell her to just give me the job - hehe)

stwert 05-04-2011 11:44 PM

Good luck Tweety! I'm very confident you'll do well. Just relax and it'll be over soon :)

Nilla 05-04-2011 11:55 PM

Good luck from me as well. Hope you get to sleep alright and that it goes great for you tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

bullet1968 06-04-2011 12:15 AM

LOL you will be fine mate...good luck....as I said, just relax and be you. Dream positive dreams mate!

cheers bullet

Chirone 06-04-2011 12:42 AM

good luck and stay happy!
hope it goes well!

LauriePriest 06-04-2011 07:30 AM

Awesome, good luck dude.

daverave 06-04-2011 07:39 AM

Good luck today tweeny.......dave

tweetytunes 06-04-2011 07:40 AM

Must say not the best start to 2day - Woke with really bad stomach pains then bad case of the poops (being as nice as possible) 35 min wasted on the toilet arrrrr

Off now cheers everyone

honestdom 06-04-2011 10:42 AM

haha, just nerves i guess. best of luck... actually i guess you are in there now.

honestdom 06-04-2011 01:49 PM

how did it go?

tweetytunes 06-04-2011 03:54 PM

It was really cool - we spoke for about an hour - then after she got a runner to show me around - big place (2 sites but only got to see 1, but 6 floors in total) - the runner told me that they only usually show people around on their first day, so taking that as a good sign.

Find out this weekend - fingers crossed.

Still have the poops though - could really have done without that today.....:(

06-04-2011 07:21 PM

Good to hear about the interview man, bad about the trots though :p

honestdom 06-04-2011 08:53 PM

sounds good...
be warned tho, getting a job is the easy bit. (i may only be saying this because i'm still at work)
:(

tweetytunes 06-04-2011 09:06 PM

OH SHE MADE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR HOW HARD i WOULD HAVE TO WORK - BUT SHE ALSO SAID THAT ROLES IN THE COMPANY ARE DONE BY SKILL NOT LENGTH OF TIME WHICH i THOUGHT WAS VERY COOL

Crap typed that with the caps lock on nevermind

stwert 06-04-2011 09:07 PM

OMG YOUR GONNA HAF 2 WORK SOOO HARD!!!!111

haha... sorry, couldn't resist.

06-04-2011 09:45 PM

IF U R GON FALL BEHIND, TELL DEM U HAZ... SOOOOPPER CANNSSIIIIRRSSS!!!!!ONE11!!

Arby 'n Chief reference :P

bullet1968 06-04-2011 11:17 PM

Well the hard part is over mate....(well the nervous bit to a point LOL)...well done bro, fingers crossed for ya! As for the trots...well dudeall I can say is I have had gastro 6 times this year...comes home with my boys from school...so Im feelin your pain mate. Dunno if you have it there but I SERIOUSLY suggest getting Gastrolyte mate...in light of your previous illness getting dehydrated is NOT cool...plenty of water etc etc...no caff, beer etc. I nearly had renal failure 9 years ago due to dehydration in the tropics and a good dose of the trots...that gastrolyte was just the best...back to normal withing 48 hours...and trust me I was crook mate.

cheers bullet

Perfecto 07-04-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stwert (Post 317503)
OMG YOUR GONNA HAF 2 WORK SOOO HARD!!!!111

haha... sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL stwert

@ tweetytunes: I'm sure I don't have to tell you for you to know that you'll probably learn alot from working there. Although it will most likely be hard work, long hours and underpaid, it's sure to be a VERY REWARDING experience. I'm jealous but really excited for you. And, we are proud that another member of SM has found their way into the industry. Enjoy the experience mate!

tweetytunes 07-04-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfecto (Post 317517)
I'm jealous but really excited for you. And, we are proud that another member of SM has found their way into the industry. Enjoy the experience mate!

Shhhh don`t jinx it - not got it yet. Thx for kind words though.

Just seen Doc and he said they (poops) were just nerves everything with my health is fine although he as not happy I was going though such a stressful time, but end of the day nothing I can do about that - I still need a job at the end of the day and once I have one stress level will go way down.