Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   April Challenge Pony normal (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4940)

ereitz 06-04-2003 07:01 AM

yeah - it's looking great Pony - tariqf has a good point - if you look at a horses thigh - which anatomically similar is to your dragon thigh from the side - it's very narrow - not round - sort of like a flattened oval - same with a dog.

the hand claws is what i meant and they're looking better in the front view - in the side view they just need something - do they grasp? Does he slash with them? Think about how it is he would attack with his front claws or what he would use them for and that will tell you how to make them.

As far as the head - in the front view the horns are the uppermost anatomical feature and in the side view they are lower and seem more integrated with the head - that leads to the head looking more lizard like - less human - more evil!

Hope your motherboard gets sorted out - looking forward to seeing the modeling process :)

Hope you found the c & c somehow useful

Pony 06-04-2003 07:23 AM

oh damn just noticed that about the horns !! working out some things posted.. thanks !!

Pony 06-04-2003 08:40 AM

and???

1 Attachment(s)
here's the redo on the horns...

what do you think?

dbirider 06-04-2003 04:18 PM

wow.. how did you learn to draw so good?

Pony 06-04-2003 04:27 PM

Not beeting my self up about crap work, just doing it. And looking for ways to inprove even if I had a long way to go. Organics are STILL HARD..

umm and some excersises.. make my hands and eyes give me what I want. and also some for me to viualise what I want more solidly.

Thankyou dbirider

Pony 06-04-2003 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tariqrf, ereitz

I just relised what might be cousing the confustion about the legs. let me explain hear and see if they don't make more sence to you all after that.. if not please let me know..

the part in blue on the legs.. I know this is a front view but the legs are angled so that even though they are thin and ovalish from both the front and the side they look fat and squar. the part in blue on the legs is ware acualy the normals of thoughs faces are going to be facing more inwards than frontwards..

this help ?

still looking at the muscle layout though..

wicket 06-04-2003 08:50 PM

WOW buddy this is gonna be sweet in 3D!!!! :D

ereitz 06-04-2003 08:55 PM

looking good! i think i know what you're talking about with the legs - i'm looking forward to seeing the model!

He's looking more menacing with the claws. :)

VAMP1Re 06-04-2003 11:24 PM

i so wish i could draw..cant wait to see the 3d version

Pony 07-04-2003 12:33 AM

Wicket !! whats up mate.. thanks.. and thanks VAMPIRe yeah can't wait to get it to 3d eather.. being on the other computer to get on the net really blows..!!

Wicket so its true that SD pc133 don't work in DDR motherboards.. having to replace mother board and finding one for a P4 but with SDRam is hard.. really don't want to have to get the motherboard and the DDR at the same time.. sucks..

am thinking about bilding a dual Xeon 2.5 type monster though later in a month or so..

Pony 08-04-2003 12:35 PM

computers

very close to haveing computer and all working agin !!

still little things not right..
and maya needs installed.. :banghead:

mumbojumbo_13 08-04-2003 12:39 PM

sweet sketch pony :D hope you can get started so you dont chuck a brian - get it all good then dont finish it on time :(

Nem 08-04-2003 10:05 PM

hey pony nice concepts!!! :D
do you draw these things freehand? or on the pooter? cos it cant be that easy to edit it if its on paper :confused:

Pony 08-04-2003 10:39 PM

Thanks Nem, I was freehand but on computer.. I don't have a scanner right now, so I stick to photo shop. Have a big tablet for drawing. I perfer to work on paper though. comp is good for edits to get things right though when working through a pic or consept your not totaly sure about the direction though.

Vectorman 08-04-2003 11:08 PM

Very Inventive man, a thought on the claws: If you were still tweaking, check out a raptor claw, or maybe a retractible one like a cat or lion.

By, the way Keep up the sketching man!

tariqrf 09-04-2003 03:21 AM

yeah.. the raptor claws sound like a good idea.. and cant wait for the 3d!

Pony 09-04-2003 04:13 AM

ok.. drum role..

1 Attachment(s)
OK boys and girls.. some one get me a rapter pic and I'll start posting some good stuf.. !!!!!!!!!!!

just started tonight after long rebilds of harddrive and setting and tuning some things up..

think I'll take a nap now..

Pony 09-04-2003 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep I know have some crap to clean up on it.. but finaly started..

You would think that I would have enufe Maya withdrawles to keep me going for a day or so constant but there is a warm bed calling me.

ereitz 09-04-2003 05:07 AM

Great start! Keep it coming!

Snich 09-04-2003 02:07 PM

Looks very good so far and I'm excited to see the modelling. The only thing at all that throws off the drawing for me is the little decomposed portion of the tail. I think it'd be cool to expand that and have other portions decomposed as well. Like maybe some of the muscles in one of the legs, which makes him walk with a limp, or maybe some serious wing damage. Its hard to crit something so well done. Can't wait to see more. :)

Pony 09-04-2003 08:54 PM

I like the decomposing also.. and do plan to have more.. I was thinking that it would be eazyer to do in textures.. the decomposing part. that and also adding it in after I have him bilt. eazyer to mirror a compleat body, and thin poly split and make localised decomposition. I'm hoping it works good like that..

Thanks.

M 10-04-2003 12:28 AM

Hey pony, keep it up.. as of the moment it looks just like the image! I love it! I will be watching this closely :).

Pony 10-04-2003 02:02 AM

both sides..

1 Attachment(s)
thought both sides toghter would give a bit better feel for it.
a little slow going right now as I have other real life stuff to get done..

Vectorman 10-04-2003 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
standing

Vectorman 10-04-2003 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
running

Vectorman 10-04-2003 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
these are also good references for the legs

Vectorman 10-04-2003 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
if you're wondering how to animate legs like them theres this too =) I love how his head basically tays in the same place. Wish i could do that.

BTW did you know they almost did Jurrassic park in Stop-motion? Actually it was an improved version of stop-motion, with motion blur (called Go-motion!)

Pony 10-04-2003 08:13 AM

Next..

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks vectorman. I will work on thoughs hands soon as I have a chance thats some nice refrence . I do apriceat that very mucy. I like its hands right up what I was going for ..

hear is the skull.

ereitz 10-04-2003 08:14 AM

Hey Pony - you're skull does look like the reference sketches you made - if it turns out looking anything like your plan you're going to have a beautiful model - looking forward to the next developments :)

Pony 10-04-2003 08:16 AM

I know there are some smothing problems but anyone want to C+C it be my guest !! . like the thing I see is the funnyness right above the molars.. it should smoth in better at the top of the bone creast from the tooth cannal.

Pony 10-04-2003 08:18 AM

yeah, thankyou. it is a lot like the refrence sketch. I noticed a cuple of problems with the ref sketchs though.. some things not matching up.. sticking more to the side view one though since its still the better of the 2..

mumbojumbo_13 10-04-2003 11:54 AM

wow all the designing starting to work nice :D

M 10-04-2003 02:17 PM

Nice skull! Too bad you didnt get time to start from the beginning. Well, if you keep it up at this rate and dont take a week off or so like some do, you should make it :D.

Snich 10-04-2003 04:06 PM

Looks very good! The area around the eyes seems a little flat to me. Looking at your sketch, it seems to have a little more pronounced brow and a small ridge to the side of the sockets. Nitpicky, yes, but its looking so good overall, I have to pick on small details. :)

Pony 10-04-2003 04:51 PM

Momb, M thanks !! (grin)

Snich, no not nitpicky at all. Thats what I'm looking for. I'll see what I can do..

ereitz 10-04-2003 07:55 PM

looking really good...

Vectorman 10-04-2003 08:41 PM

My brain works like a computer search:

Cross reference: Evil, mythical, claw and i got raptor with 7493987254 hits

then my fingers searched google for 20 minutes = )

wicket 11-04-2003 12:12 AM

Hey sorry I didn't answere your question from before but hopefully I did in email... I've been busy and taking a much needed break from stuff but hey ya'll I should be back soon I hope as soon as I get some much needed inspiration! :D

The model is taking nice shape Pony and if anything and you may be thinking this already, just add some details like rinkles in the skin and some fine cracks in the bone parts! But like you siad you may be thinking this already or planning textures for this! Well I may not be doing much but I'm watching this competition!!! L8 M8

Vectorman 11-04-2003 01:31 AM

Seeing the skull in 3d really makes me understand why there was so much criticism about the thickness of the horns from the two different views. Your ref was dead on man the skull looks GREAT.

Pony 11-04-2003 01:58 AM

wire frame.

1 Attachment(s)
For all that are wandering just how close it is to the original sketch. I was wandering also. pluse its about time for a wire fraim anyway..

The red is ware its a little off. but around the horns I still have yet to tweek there.. so it could be closer soon.

the green buy the front teath was I desided the teath there needed to be longer and didn't bother to change the sketch. the green on the jaw is becouse I just haven't finished there yet. have to make the width..