Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SM Tournaments (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tournament #1 - RND2 - Pony VS )v( (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5386)

Pony 30-04-2003 01:26 PM

and..

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Strarup.. hears your anser.. LOL

Kevin 30-04-2003 01:56 PM

nicely detailed bow mate!!

so how long is left in this battle? I know i know - im lazy :D

great job guys

M 30-04-2003 02:00 PM

Heheheh, hey kevin... theres until midnight (our time.. -8GMT) and then its done. So it should be an intense battle because were both in the same timezone :D. You will be asleep or just waking up at 8 in the morning when we are done the challenge :)

adldesigner 30-04-2003 02:00 PM

The Ultimate Showdown?
More interested in a Mtmckinley Vs Brian_Ellebracht bout. :)

M 30-04-2003 02:02 PM

Yes, ultimate flower battle.. Heheheh, i do have to say, that battle will have to be good too.. but were going all out today!! As soon as i get back, i have around 2 hours right now, then 6 later in the day :D.

adldesigner 30-04-2003 02:04 PM

Lol, M .. I´M battling Brian on that flower battle!
I was talking about a hypotetical Mike vs Brian battle.
Gotta land on earth bud. ;)

Pony 30-04-2003 02:32 PM

Thanks Kevin..

M 30-04-2003 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, heres another update, i have added some spiked colars to the feet ;).. do you think i should only have one and not one on each leg? Alright, im going to see what else i can get on this guy before i start to maybe unwrap the uv's :). I still have to make its major weapon, i need to model other things.. it will have roman style of texturing on the front plate though, i think ;). BTW, half of this thing is unsmoothed.

GCastro 30-04-2003 03:41 PM

Hehehe.. Had not noticed the nose ring... nice touch :)

what's the main weapon gonna be?

Sword?
Big sledge hammer?
Ax
how about a sheild? :)

Keep it up buddy,
George

M 30-04-2003 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:O.. ooh, big sledge hammer... like a maul.. i like that idea. I was thinking of a club or sword as his main weapon.. as he is young... and then a sheild on the other side ;). Anyways, i JUST HAD to add this to my dino.. hehehe.. a battle wound across the eye! So yea, a club i was thinking, or a really wide (broad) sword thats kinda short. I will model the 2 different weapons (club and sword) and then the shiled and see whats my favorite combo ;).

strarup 30-04-2003 04:00 PM

Hi Matt,

it is looking... :)

and Pony it is a very good texture on that bow... :)

regards

Strarup

Vectorman 30-04-2003 06:49 PM

wow you guys did alot while i was at work! I'ma check back every time you post (email notify = )

Looking good pony, that bow (AS ALWAYS) came out JUST how you drew it. I think the wood should be a little richer in color? Brightness and conrast sliders would do the trick. Or if you want it to look kinda old, alot more sractches on that bump map.

M looking great man, the claws look a little weird without the gloves. I like the gold, can you give it a real subtle very blurry reflection? It should reflect at least the black part of the armour. Nice anklets too, put some on his wrists (if theres room).

Blackcrown 30-04-2003 08:16 PM

Yo.

This is Vectorman's friend incase you didn't know. Anyway, I was under the influence this was going to be a skill type "Battle" or who can make the best character and all. Yet I've been following your designs and have been noticing the "Battle" really unfold. First off I'll run you through some of my thoughts as far as characters (not thoughts based in Maya): Centaurs most commonly used spears, When using a bow the wrist guard goes on the hand holding the bow, generally the quiver is held at the waist when in combat (not the back which is commonly portrayed), Ungodly awesome looking bow which I know a few people have said but I'll repeat...Thats about all I got for pony at the moment.
Digi-dude there, your turn: The english longbow was specifically designed to pierce plate mail ( IE your toast in a real fight), if you make a short sword you will never reach past the centaur's legs, He should have a helmet of some sort to raise his coolness by +10, the burst of the eye is unhuman and obviously you get artistic discresion but I think a defined and pronounced iris would give less of a feel of a soft squishy toy...Once again all I can think of at the moment.
To be honest I don't know crap about Maya and I won't try to think I do. So I just gave these as mere character dramatization theories. If you don't like what I said or I shouldn't have said it feel free to tell me.

Thanks

Vectorman 30-04-2003 08:31 PM

Hey steve good crits on the armour and weapons. Thanx for posting and welcome to simplymaya!

Pony 30-04-2003 10:06 PM

BlackCrown, yeah she is right handed and the arm protecter should be on the left since the bow will be held with that hand.. thanks about the quiver. I think I will take artistic lisence with that.

Black and Vector, thanks very much about the bow..

M Looking great.. the scare is way cool and the nose ring also.

M 30-04-2003 11:16 PM

Hey guys, ok im back and its time to start! Thanks blackcrown for your CC :D.. Just letting you know though.. my dino in no way has been designed for battle... lol, first off, dinosaurs do not have armor.. second off... giving this guy something large would just be looking off. Ponys centuar is more of a realistic shape, so it molds better to weapons.. my dino though i think couldnt kill jack all.. he would just play with his sword and cut snakes in the long grass :P. Anyways, thanks for the ideas, and im trying to decide how i would make a helmet for him, like... lol.. what kinda helmet, how is it going to mold to a long nose animal type thing? I have an idea though, so i will try it :). BTW, i now arrows go fast and everything.. but the armor i have on my dino is 3/4 inch iron. Its not meant to be fully realistic.. but more based on what i think would be a hella cool armor.. if you could ever wear it ;)... which my dino can ;). About his iris.. i will see if i can get something more mean ok? Give me a few minutes to post it :D.

M 30-04-2003 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, here is his new eye :).. took a while of tweaking.. its a bit different with a smaller pupil.. but i think its better than the old. Let me know what you think :). Now its time to get some food.. and get busy.

Pony 01-05-2003 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by M
.. he would just play with his sword and cut snakes in the long grass :P.
ROFLMAO !!!

Vectorman 01-05-2003 01:43 AM

awesome i like the eye better. good call steve

M 01-05-2003 01:51 AM

Heheheh, thanks guys... I will be posting real soon.i have lots done on this guy to show ya ;).. (well its a lot to me :D).. just i have to get a gold trim going around it.. and its a complicated shape :P.. so im strugglin on that bit.

M 01-05-2003 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, big update.. i modelled some mini spikes for the back of the models armor. and then i also modelled a helmet! The helmet took a while to get the golden edge around it and whatnot.. but its fine now :D. Anyways, i learned some goood techniqes that i can use in the future.. theres small tweaking here and there but its coming along :). Heres image #1

M 01-05-2003 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres image #2 :). BTW, were both still going all out ;).. until midnight! Which is in 4 hours!

Pony 01-05-2003 02:55 AM

that helmet rocks !!

Vectorman 01-05-2003 02:58 AM

yah looking good!!

M 01-05-2003 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What about this for the helmet, the furry thing? Just an idea :).

GCastro 01-05-2003 04:06 AM

Oh dang! Looks great M!

Don't know about the red thing on top of the helmet, but everything looks great so far.

Pony, you better have something good :)

George

Vectorman 01-05-2003 04:10 AM

3 more hours left i think. Getting better by the hour M. Did you try adding some blurred subtle reflection?

M 01-05-2003 04:23 AM

Sorry vector.. i dont have on raytracing.. i dont exactly know how to do that either :P.. ihave just spent the last months learning plainly modelling in polys :P. Anyways.. i will see what a raytraced render gets me ;).. hope its not just a glossy mess.

M 01-05-2003 04:25 AM

Nah, raytracing is giving me a mess :(... the model itself just goes way too bright.. if anyone can explain how i can do that vector.. then i will definately try it!

PonysGirl 01-05-2003 05:10 AM

:)
Wow.....M... gotta admit I really love the armor... your critter is way cool.... ^5

Oppps back to fielding anything that might interrupt pony..
:D

M 01-05-2003 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hehehe, thanks a lot pony :D. Alright, im going crazy on this still... I have modelled a sword for the guy :D. Tell me what you think ;).. I just dont know if i can re-rig him in time (actually.. absolutely not enough time).. instead im going to try to make it just look really nice! Ok, heres the model so far with the sword, and the claw on the other hand.. i may cut it out period.. i dont like it too much :P.

M 01-05-2003 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, nothing came out too spectacular on their own angles.. but heres the armor and the weaponry without the dino ;). Anyways, I posted this first of all to show ya.. and second of all to tell you what i have to still do. You see the arrow pointing to the red on the helmet? Thats not a UV problem.. its my own texture problem.. i ran the lines going the wrong way and they are too big.. therefore i have to retexture that small area (i still have the pdf file). Anyways, also.. i have that whacked up iron bit on the handle... i need to fix that so i will be planer or cylindrical mapping it soon! Alright, hope pony can get something in as well.. your crunched for time my man! Lucifer and this, i give you tons of credit!

PonysGirl 01-05-2003 06:59 AM

the clock is ticking and they are both swearing and sweating.....

PonysGirl 01-05-2003 07:00 AM

here she comes....... drum roll.......

M 01-05-2003 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
GAH, ok FINAL RENDER!

Pony 01-05-2003 07:02 AM

Final render for 2nd round

1 Attachment(s)
Textured more compleat and accessories. The requirements for the 2nd round..

PonysGirl 01-05-2003 07:02 AM

WOW...... just at same moment...both of you

Pony 01-05-2003 07:03 AM

M beat me on posting final render buy seconds... !!! LOL...

M 01-05-2003 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a back shot included... uhh.. if thats ok with you pony this is final. :).

GCastro 01-05-2003 07:14 AM

Great job guys... this was crazy!!!

But, oh man, this is sooo much fun. It's making me learn stuff in a week with no choice but to do it. :)

Hope to see you in the finals

But which one ? hehe.. :)

George