Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Battle Arena (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Tournament #2 - Signup (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5752)

M 14-05-2003 02:35 AM

Tournament #2 - Signup

Hey, this will be an 8 person tournament! So saying that it will have 3 rounds, at 5 days a piece, estimating 2 weeks instead of 3. What you have to model is the following

Round 1:
Underwater Creature (goldfish, octopus)
Style: Open (Polys, Subd's, nurbs)
Textures: Yes (can be minimal)
Length: 5 days

Round 2:
Model a Gadget (funky bomb, chainsaw etc... anything that is handheld and has a function)
Style: Open (Polys, Subd's, Nurbs)
Textures: Yes

Round 3:
Video Game Character (Sonic, Mario, Samus.. etc)
Style: Open (Polys, Subd's, nurbs)
Textures: Yes

Now, the first 8 people to post and say "I will compete in tournament#1" (or along those lines) will be the competators. If within 2 weeks there are not 8 people aquired yet, then this tournament will be cancelled or redesigned. Hope theres a lot of competators .

BTW, please read the tournament rules that are in the battle arena forum before entering. Thankyou.

This tournament should be started up within 2 weeks from today. If there are not enough competators.. we will e-mail all of the contestants and make sure they are ok with the delayed time.

Also, if you think one of the 3 rounds topic is stupid or you have a better one (and you are a contestant) then make sure your signed up for the tournament first and we can see about changing it if everyone else agrees :).

EagleKing 14-05-2003 11:50 AM

I will compete in tournament#1

lol...is there a rule how good you have to be?
I am a n00b.

twisteddragon33 14-05-2003 07:50 PM

Im a newbie too.. so hopefully we will be teamed.

Yes ill join tournement#1... but itsnt this tourny 2?

a game charactor.. sweet i can model myself:)

^^TwEeK^^ 14-05-2003 09:53 PM

Well .... if you dont mind a noobie... id love to join...count me in(-:
I will compete in tournament#1 (or 2) :D

howardporter 14-05-2003 10:51 PM

:yipee: o.k.... I am in!

H!:D

howardporter 14-05-2003 11:34 PM

oh yeah..
I like the concepts alot too!:D

M 15-05-2003 03:27 AM

:D, great stuff.. ok there are already 4 of the 8 contestants.. i will be adding a link to my signature shortly to try to get interest :).

adldesigner 15-05-2003 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by M
.. i will be adding a link to my signature shortly to try to get interest :).
hehe, wonder who you got that idea from ... ;)

twisteddragon33 15-05-2003 12:33 PM

.. newbie tournement?

Hope we get 4 more people fast. ill try and con hybrid to join:)

M 16-05-2003 01:17 AM

Of course it was you mighty adl :D.

.:morpher:. 16-05-2003 07:39 AM

I will compete in tournament#1(or is it #2):D

mumbojumbo_13 16-05-2003 11:52 AM

im in - if you guys still call me a noobie

EagleKing 16-05-2003 01:10 PM

but you have much more sklls than the others. I have seen great work of you.

2 left

EagleKing 16-05-2003 01:28 PM

sorry for double post but I have a question?

Textures : Yes

Is texturing allowed or is it a must?

dbirider 16-05-2003 07:09 PM

if it werent for regentses and crap comming up for me id join. i really want to do the video game character! it would be pacman for me! make a 270 degree sphere, color it yellow. and thats all!

EagleKing 17-05-2003 05:37 PM

come on guys....enter the tournament.

I am bored and I want to start.

Black Robe 18-05-2003 12:36 PM

hey I'll join but im a noob and using the PLE :( Also, when will it be starting, Ive got 3 exams in the next 5 days :eek:

for Round#1 - can it be a stylized animal or does it have to be photorealistic?Also, you said underwater, can it be an amphibian(frog, toad) or a crocodile or alligator.Do we have to post concepts (ive already started working on them and Im dying to try my new scanner :) Is it ok if Im using the PLE, I should be getting Maya 4.5 in a few weeks, still saving up. :rolleyes:

for Round#3 does it have to be an EXISTING game character or can we make up our own one and give a little info about it?

Thanks and I hope the tourney starts soon, or after me bloody exams :banghead:

M 19-05-2003 09:02 PM

Hey Blackrobe.. thanks for joining.. the animal does not have to be photorealistic but whatever you want... the underwater can be an amphibian.. and using PLE is fine :D. Game character has to be existing :P... so like..chrono trigger, or "pacman".. lol. Ok cya

BTW, i love your avatar ;).

Black Robe 19-05-2003 09:48 PM

K thanks, just need to wait for more people to join in eh? I'll start some concept sketches for round #1. I love my avvy too :D

M 19-05-2003 09:50 PM

now thats art ;).

Black Robe 20-05-2003 10:24 AM

Im getting impatient now :(

twisteddragon33 20-05-2003 07:39 PM

For round one. does if have to bea real creature or can you just make something up? As long as it looks underwatery.

for #3 i think im going to make one of the charactors from dbz budukai:), little tricky though.

i cant even remember what the second round was. :-[. but im prolly not gunna make it anyway

M 21-05-2003 04:59 AM

yo, twisted.. you can make your own underwater creature.. just he has to look like hes from under the water.. you cant give me a 400 pound beast and tell me its the sea gorilla ;). Just make sure it can make sence... if i was in this tournament.. i would do a crab. Only one spot remaining! Join now so we can start this tournament!

Witchy 21-05-2003 02:12 PM

I'll give it a go although I have no idea what to model as yet!

Signing up for tournament 1/2.

M 21-05-2003 02:15 PM

Wonderful! We have 8 competators :D... the tournament will start later today.. once i get back after doing some work. I just posted to tell you all are competing, the list below tells you the groupings that we will have as well:

Blackrobe
Witchy

Eagleking
Twisteddragon

Tweek
Howardporter

Morpher
Mumbojumbo

Tonight i will have those threads up so you can all start.. dont start your own thead.. its going to take around half a hour to a hour to get organised.. and that i dont have time for right now.. so later today it should be up. THankyou all for joining :).

Black Robe 21-05-2003 03:16 PM

yay! :) cnt wait, I'll get started now :)

adldesigner 21-05-2003 03:22 PM

Good luck to the competitors.
Have fun!

Black Robe 21-05-2003 03:37 PM

will do :) Cmon M! :D

M 21-05-2003 03:56 PM

Blackrobe.. for me its like... the morning here.. and its a weekday.. i cant stay, i have work to do :P. Anyways.. i would do it right now but its not physically possible as i wont be near a computer. As soon as i get back tonight.. i will get the threads started :). Ok, cya then

Black Robe 21-05-2003 03:57 PM

ok,I wasnt aware of that sorry. Ive already started btw, going for the stylised crab look :) Oversized pincers and evil eyes :)

Witchy 21-05-2003 07:21 PM

Blackrobe has scared me into starting with his keeness! Will be doing a cartoony fish thing.

I make that sound so great! Ahem.

Black Robe 21-05-2003 07:54 PM

Lol, as soon as the threads are up I'll get some of my WIP's up for you to gawk at, not much to look at just now tho. And I suck at textures so dont expect much from that department.This should be fun, eh witchy? ;):)

EagleKing 21-05-2003 10:26 PM

is texturing a must or is it just allowed to map the model?

drknow 21-05-2003 10:33 PM

hmmmm. So i guess i cant be in this one. What if someone drops out. Then can I be in??? Or is there a line???

Black Robe 21-05-2003 10:50 PM

hmmm, Ive done quite a lot already on round 1 and the threads arent even up yet.They'll prob be up 2moro and I have to call it quites for 2nite anyway.Well, Ive got an exam 2moro so I need 2 rest my weary bones.My crab coming along fine and I should be able to finish the modelling in a couple of days/hours :D Sorry for starting to early M and Witchy, Im just keen :D Nite folks :)

M 22-05-2003 01:19 AM

hey the threads are now up and running.. feel free to post your updates in there.. all of them, and no where else then in your designated thread ;). Other than that, the texturing bit can be as small as adding a blinn or lambert to the model, in certain spots... example would be "dark red for shell of crab, light red/dark pink for skin color, black eyes etc)... it can be really basic stuff if you dont have the time.. just dont leave it grey or one solid color.. unless the thing itself is only one color.. which is rare.