Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SM Tournaments (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tournament #2 - Black Robe VS Witchy - RND 1 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5894)

Black Robe 22-05-2003 05:07 PM

Thanks witchy, Ive given it a rest for a couple of hours... I do have a social life after all...sorta :D

Black Robe 22-05-2003 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the girlfriends gone home and now I can get back to work. Ive lifted the shell up a bit to give it some height.Also started on the details by giving the shell the bumpy bits around the edges....You guys think it looks ok? Also not the evil red eyes :D

Black Robe 22-05-2003 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Again, sorry for posting too many pics, M if this is too much then please tell me to stop or remove them from the posts.Do you guys think this is ok?Ive made it a bit taller and narrower.I need to know if it looks good to continue working on it, thanks :)

M 22-05-2003 11:25 PM

Hey blackrobe.. pictures are great! Maybe out of 5 posts, instead post 4.. you know? Like its not that big ofa deal but for the server it can rake up.. i think. Anyways, the crab is lookin great! Sorry to hear about the scanner.. and you do not have to post refrence images. Anyways, everything is lookin good and one thing though.. the legs seem too long too me.. i like the size of the pinchers (nice and big ;)).. but the legs seem that they should be a bit shorter and instead of sprawled all the way out, curved in like a < shape :). Anyways, other than that.. its comin along great.. and i love the red eye idea, make that plate behind the eye black for sure. Anyways, other than that.. you could add some funky stuff on its shell if you wanted to :). YOu have done a lot though already..keep up the good work :).

Black Robe 23-05-2003 10:24 AM

thanks for the tips on the legs i knew there was something wrong witht them :)

Black Robe 23-05-2003 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a VERY quick texture test, plain lamberts all over.I know it looks too red/orange but I just wanted to get an idea.I think that I'll UVW texture it if I have time to learn how to do it.Also I pulled tghe legs in a bit but I dont think I'll make them like <''> if you know what I mean...

Witchy 23-05-2003 04:09 PM

I think we have a winner 8). Looking very nice.

Witchy 23-05-2003 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couple of updates; unsmoothed and undetailed wire showing basic shape in place;

Witchy 23-05-2003 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More shape and smoothing.

Fish is working his way towards mutant-hood- he's going to have hands instead of fins and the odd accessory. No pics of that yet though 8).

Witchy 23-05-2003 08:01 PM

And last one, with an eye.

Witchy 23-05-2003 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, it didn't attach the image 8).

Black Robe 23-05-2003 10:30 PM

thats looking really good witchy, cartoony, nice :) The eye is is pretty cool.Anyone got any ideas how to make a glowing texture that I could use for the eyes?Would I have to use a special lighting system?Im crap with Lighting and textureing :(

^^TwEeK^^ 23-05-2003 10:33 PM

just use any texture and the attribute additor >special effects increase the glow intensity
thats what i did for my crab's eyes

Black Robe 23-05-2003 10:43 PM

cool thanks for that :)

howardporter 24-05-2003 02:12 AM

way to go to both of you guys-

Witchy- how did you go about making that initial shape? from a box? or did you use the create poly tool then the split poly tool?

also ... :) does anyone know if there a way to work on a low poly half while a subdivided instance of it udates...? (did that make any sense?!?! I am quite tierd now...)

BlackRobe- I hear ya about the PLE watermark... but hey its free right? I will paying of my copy of Maya for the rest of the year :D

H!