Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   June Challenge-Witchy- Noobie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6086)

Witchy 02-06-2003 08:30 PM

June Challenge-Witchy- Noobie

Have an idea for a field mouse vehicle to enable passage across 'extreme hazard' crop fields during harvest season. Nippy enough to avoid those combine harvesters, sturdy enough to get over the ruts, tall enough to see over the crop. With a small leisure wheel doubling as backup power drive system. Carries one field mouse family or a small unit of the elite 'Mousenetz' barley gatherers.

Will see how we go.

Witchy 11-06-2003 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
m

Witchy 11-06-2003 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And a wire.....

howardporter 11-06-2003 11:43 PM

great Idea! and good bit of modeling too :D

Vectorman 12-06-2003 01:12 AM

wow what an original idea, looking good dude.

Witchy 12-06-2003 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Bit of an update with cabin- thought the elite mice would want a mouse shaped thing to drive round in.

Witchy 12-06-2003 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And wire from the side.

drknow 12-06-2003 04:37 AM

That is friggin amazing. I honestly think that you should step it up to normal. I would kill for those modeling skillz. BTW, is that Gi_Joe, and if so what settings are you using, and just one more question. Are those subDs or what.

LauriePriest 12-06-2003 07:03 AM

ooh very nice, how did you do your tracks, my ones cant animate as the offset went weird?? its ok if ya wana keep your secrets im not planning my one for an animation but it would be nice if i could see them move without going all over the place =(, love the detail so far keep it up !!! your doing great

EagleKing 12-06-2003 10:33 AM

witchy are you silly?
you nearly won the tourny against howard. He is one of the best.

You are more than normal rank.

btw I like it :P

is it poly or what is it?
how did you make those bolts?

adldesigner 12-06-2003 12:53 PM

Excellent design!
Another great model coming around this one Witchy! :cool:

howardporter 12-06-2003 02:05 PM

This really is great.. I could totally see it in an Ardman movie. right on.

Witchy 12-06-2003 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey thanks for the kind comments guys!

I will happily step up to normal if people think that is the right thing to do- it's like being promoted!

DrKnow: Yes it's GI_Joe, I was just messing with the settings, changed the lighting to yellowy, reduced it on the slider bar to about 75% (tip from Caligraphics there, grateful) and the intensity down a tad. You can pretty much render any colour you want and I prefer it not as stark as the standard one gives you. It's all polys with the exception of the centre of the wheel and some of the bolts which are subds to get things smooth without too much weight.

Laurie. No secrets! They don't move btw so I can't show you them doing that!. There is an animation script on HighEnd 3d for Maya that creates tracks on an animation path, IIRC but I wanted to make more detailed static ones. So for mine I cut the basic shape out of a cube (with 2 'teeth' on one side and 3 on the other), extruded some faces to make them stick up and look more rounded using soften normals to get a nice edge and duplicated them. For the ones at the ends I joined them together and rotated them round to fit the sprockets. I can post a pic if it would help.

Eagle thanks- the bolts are just poly cylinders with the top face extruded to make the rounded bit, then converted to subds and duplicated and moved into place.

Howard and Adl- thanks!

Quick update, most of the main shapes are in place now including the power wheel (TM LOL) with supports, lookout's tower (with hydraulics) and rear passenger cage. On with the details (and if I have time some mice, which I am much happier making!).

LauriePriest 12-06-2003 04:45 PM

noo thats fine i just wondered if you did it same way, >> realises that the script you mentioned would of saved alot of time <<

Witchy 12-06-2003 04:54 PM

Popped over there and found it; AS Tread Creation v2

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?g...tion=animation

I haven't used it but it might be fun to play with.

Witchy 13-06-2003 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Couple of updates, added a canvas cover to passenger section, radar and some other detailing here and there. Had to remake the wheel and supports to accommodate the cover.

Overall views;

Witchy 13-06-2003 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up showing some details.

Witchy 13-06-2003 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cat's eye view.

[icarus_uk] 13-06-2003 05:16 PM

Excellent indeed! Got a close up of the seating in the back of the passenger area?

Love the radar dish on the crows nest, perhaps maybe some camofluage maybe to add to the sneakyness?

Witchy 13-06-2003 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep here is the rear seating in progress. Obviously lots of details need adding.

There should be some camoflague for the radar dish and crows nest, perhaps as an ear of corn or some grass etc.

[icarus_uk] 14-06-2003 12:30 AM

>perhaps as an ear of corn or some grass etc.

That sounds like an exceptionally brilliant idea. The person who came up with that should be given a cookie.

Witchy 14-06-2003 01:12 AM

You can also have some milk if you want LOL.

howardporter 14-06-2003 02:18 AM

Witchy... This is really coming out great. Much respect. while the modeling is top notch, the concept is even better. the wheel on the back... the sattelite dish... and my favorite... the seats in the back for the troops. Great imagination my friend.

that said, I do have one suggestion. the tesselation on the wheel on the back seems like it could be bumped up a bit more. :D

Witchy 14-06-2003 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My modelling doesn't really live up to the idea sadly, but hopefully the key themes will come across.

You are spot on about the wheel, in fact looking at it it started to appear too weighty and not really resembling a mouse wheel closely enough so I took a shot at redesigning it.

LauriePriest 14-06-2003 09:21 AM

lol very cool, i really need to get on with my one now... argh.. yours looks realy extreme my one looks boring

[icarus_uk] 14-06-2003 06:48 PM

>You can also have some milk if you want

SCORE! Milk and cookies. Just what every baby needs.

Vectorman 15-06-2003 12:30 AM

This is soo amazing, you have a very vivid imagination. I'm speechless really

LauriePriest 16-06-2003 09:04 AM

ahh few i went and coundt see it !! thanks witchy :P

Witchy 16-06-2003 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No problem 8).

Been taking a break from rivets to start work on the 'elite' mice shock (anti trap) troops (The 2nd Cheese Battalion, The Gorgonzolas) to crew the vehicle. Obviously WIP and lots to do...

The head was inspired by Sam the dog as I didn't want to be too Jerry or Mickey about it, but it isn't a remodel and was done from scratch, I can show comparison wires if needed :)

Witchy 16-06-2003 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Head and a wire;

dazzler 16-06-2003 01:36 PM

spectacular! :cool:

mouse vehicle powered my mouse wheel, loll... great idea!

btw. this is not a noob's work... :D

[icarus_uk] 16-06-2003 04:19 PM

<grumble> I liked my beret idea <grumble> Top work oh n00bster.

Witchy 19-06-2003 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Crew update, now back to texturing the vehicle!

If there's time I'll do a variant crew member to run on the wheel and one for the crows nest.

On the noobie point I am happy to be 'promoted' to normal if people want- its nice of people to consider my skills are at that level (well, at the bottom anyway)- looking at other people working in normal I rather doubt it!

Witchy 19-06-2003 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tail shot.

mtmckinley 19-06-2003 01:59 AM

Looking good! I like the cartoon-style.

M 19-06-2003 03:25 AM

Wow! Awesome stuff witchy.. great work with the Sub-d's on that mouse model! ANyways, really nice to see that you have put so much into this.. great job!

EagleKing 19-06-2003 08:38 AM

huh? damn you are fast. I would need a month to make this char.

nice style :D

freemind.cz 19-06-2003 09:06 AM

LOL

Witchy 22-06-2003 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys :)

Quick update on start of texturing.

EagleKing 22-06-2003 11:18 AM

wow witchy, next time enter as normal cuz the n00bies don't have any chances against you. Model and textures fit perfect together. But maybe add some more details to the wheels.

and witchy..could you please show me a wire of the guy's trousers or jacket? I luv the wa you make the wrinkles. I downloaded mikes tut but there is always someting I do wrong.