Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   June Challenge - Laurie - Noobie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6112)

LauriePriest 03-06-2003 09:39 PM

June Challenge - Laurie - Noobie

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys im gona give this a go... its gona be heavy duty air/land veichle, here is some concept:

LauriePriest 03-06-2003 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on the main thrusters.. this is my first experience with NURBS ... i actually like them.. never thought i would but there being very kind to me at the moment.. any surgestoins so far.. i dont quite know how to get the tube dents running up the main section.... COS is very powerfull and i think i might use those:

LauriePriest 04-06-2003 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Done a bit of work on it this morning.. any comments would be cool =)

Kevin 04-06-2003 10:17 AM

nice start laurie. So far matches your art.

Nurbs hey! tricky little sods them, but keep going mate and all will be ok

[icarus_uk] 04-06-2003 10:48 AM

Im making my model in NURBs, I like them and Im sick of using polys for the last 2 weeks.

To cut out your indentations; create two circles and project them around the middle of the surface. Then trim out the middle part. Create a cylinder for the lower indented surface and a flat circle for the top and bomttoms of the indented surface.

Alternatively, just insert isospams and cale them inwards.

kornkidpr 04-06-2003 08:16 PM

thats cool it looks like the spaceship the used in the movie SPACEBALLS haha :cool:

LauriePriest 04-06-2003 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HAHA.. ooh yeh, have to love that film, here is what ive added, its gona have tank track type things so it can move on ground to :D, but i need big help on how to do those please.. ive seen some other guys do them.. but i dont know how :(, i dont need them animated just tracks.

LauriePriest 05-06-2003 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Latest update.. second carrage coming next then cabin then im adding loads and loads and loads of detail.

LauriePriest 06-06-2003 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick update guys: please comment.. i think im just gona add lots of equipment to the thing now and add detail.. i figured why not spend the time making what i have more interesting instead of extending it :) I probably wont win but im having great fun doing this and its my first mechanical thing.. ive stuck to organics for ages now.

LauriePriest 06-06-2003 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
second Piccy

brian_ellebracht 06-06-2003 10:09 PM

Looks pretty nice so far, like the treds, you were able to stay pretty in line with your sketch. nice start,
Brian

drknow 07-06-2003 02:55 AM

hey, no fair. urs puts mine to shame. Are u sure u should be in the newbie section. Hehe. Good job man.

LauriePriest 07-06-2003 08:25 AM

I been modeling for a bit, but maya for like a few weeks and the treads where somthing new to me, and trust me, i cant texture for my life (or render) so im really worried about that =(

howardporter 07-06-2003 10:28 AM

I like the treads! Nice.

BabyDuck 07-06-2003 12:02 PM

one suggestion would be to subdivide the main body some. not necessary smoothing, but more poly count. so the patched are not so big. maybe that is where those lines comes from in renders.

LauriePriest 07-06-2003 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok thanks Baby duck.. yeh im gona add a lot of detail to that sectoin now.. it just looks very low res. Here is a drill sectoin ive added to get rid of the rocks that get in the way. All crits and comments welcome!:D

EagleKing 07-06-2003 02:45 PM

damn..those cables are nice.
How did ya make them?
cylinder and then nilinear bend or what?

LauriePriest 07-06-2003 03:04 PM

Much simpler m8, extruded Cricle along a Curve

Cyrius 07-06-2003 03:23 PM

cool robot, i like it but how did u do the wheel ??

adldesigner 07-06-2003 04:03 PM

Looking very good Laurie.
Detailing looks awesome.
You´re a top contender on this one.

LauriePriest 07-06-2003 05:48 PM

thanks adl, i modeled one sectoin of the tracks then set it to a curve a motion path duplicated loads an offset them accordingly across the motion path, thanks for danny on irc for helping me with that =)

Cyrius 08-06-2003 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a lot of detail !! :) but i have only one little crits : (see the pic)

Vectorman 08-06-2003 10:28 AM

damn you laurie, you are better than me and younger!!!

LauriePriest 08-06-2003 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lol.. or maybe i just have time on my hands :D , well not much... but enough i guess. I did an extra gun. thanks for smoothing hints, im thinking of rebuilding the body section.. i just doesnt look much like a mean machine in that area yet. And the tracks need beefing up a bit.
Here is a little addition.

Vectorman 08-06-2003 11:31 AM

talent or time, its still looking cool man!

The body of the gun needs a bit more shape/detail, other than that i can't really thing of anything....

Can we see another Wide shot?

Tidus.J 08-06-2003 12:01 PM

nice model,but i think it should be more smooth.
come on!

mumbojumbo_13 08-06-2003 12:12 PM

nice laurie :D
how old ?

LauriePriest 08-06-2003 01:01 PM

15, yeh im just building everything up then i smooth it, its just i need to add more geometry to smooth and alot of the time i end up redoing alot of things so if i smooth to early its not so easy to go back.

LauriePriest 08-06-2003 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
redid the body.. do you guys prefer this one or the last one?.. the last one is posted in the other images now and again.

GreyFox 08-06-2003 05:16 PM

I like ther new body better.

Is that a saw in the door? Isn't it a transport ship? will the passengers use the other door or what? ;)

LauriePriest 08-06-2003 05:19 PM

yes.. they will have to mind there step :P.. lol no its like.. an equipment bay.. im gona do alot of stuff coming out of there hopefully.. maybe not though.. we will see we will see, i may re-make the engines on the back now and have some funky side thrusters

brian_ellebracht 08-06-2003 07:53 PM

I really like the use of all of your Nurbs Tubes. I do that all of the time, looks great and adds alot of visual detail. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more,
Brian

Kühl 08-06-2003 10:36 PM

Nice work Laurie...

LauriePriest 10-06-2003 03:41 PM

need a little help with my project, 1. how are you guys rendering you final stuff GI JOE? or is there a better way? also.. shading and surfacing, how to do it well? and the last thing is how do i scale the size of my paint FX.. when i paint over my terrain there tiny... and of course when i scale them there not over the surface any more.?? pls help

brian_ellebracht 10-06-2003 03:51 PM

Don't have to much time, but when you go to your visor and choose your brush, before youstart painting, hit
Ctrl + B (for Brush) here you can change your scale and stuff of paint effects. Hope this helps,
Brian

LauriePriest 11-06-2003 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here is how the surfacing is going so far, i did some basic glow fx and shading networks to start it off, im not going to go to deep into texturing and shading on this project cos otherwise if i spend to long on it ill get bored :p: crits and comments please, its got GI and one direct light that affects spec for the sun. credit goes to Cali ( i used the shading network you used on your new car ) i tried to do a frensel affect on the wind screen but it didnt go quite to plan.. tell me if this is right please: i connect sample info nodes facing ratio channel to the U ramp of a ramp texture which is attatched to the specular color of my blinn?

anyway here is what i have done, its not much since ive had exams, i sitll have to connect the tracks to the main body but thats around it: This will have to be final, sorry guys didn thave time: FINAL RENDER

BabyDuck 11-06-2003 12:15 PM

that looks really cool. maybe turn the glow of the lamps a bit down?

Vectorman 12-06-2003 01:32 AM

oh no! This is great, now i won't win, hehe. Keep it up man and i think you will beat me.

LauriePriest 12-06-2003 07:01 AM

this only looks good cos of two things... (shading tutorials at boris3d.com not that good but enough, one at alias wavefront showed me the frensel technique)

LauriePriest 12-06-2003 10:09 PM

i have a couple of issues that will mean i may not be posting updates for a bit:
1. my current system is lagging big time cos some hardware messed up so im trying to fix it for short term so i can carry on with the project
2. i have ordered a nice new 1.6 ghz machine with lots of ddr RAM but i dont know when its coming just yet =(

-Laurie