Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Freedom of privacy issues with Microsoft's new OS. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6575)

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by animatress
what exactly is lunix? and whats this about a internet war. would there be one?
riiiiiight. www.linux.com. It's a OS that is technicly free and is M$'s biggest competitor. and yes, animatress. The war is coming! It's Coming!!!!!! Free your mind!

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:58 PM

go here

animatress 28-06-2003 11:29 PM

what exactly is going to go on in this war and what is it going to be about and what do I need to do to prepare for it. I have disabled microsoft messenger got adsgone popup killer and spysweeper to block and protect my computer from spyware. is there anything else I need to do?

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 11:52 PM

Go to the Microsoft forums and post that you hate bill gates. Then dig a trench around your computer. Put up a bar above your door so you can swing down when the cops come and shoot them all upside down.:2gunfire: :mingun:

EDIT: is it just me or does it look like that guy is only firing out of one gun instead of two?

Darkware 28-06-2003 11:55 PM

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

animatress 28-06-2003 11:58 PM

hahahahahaha. Sorry I guess I did sound a little paranoid didnt I ;)

doodle 29-06-2003 01:35 AM

What is the war...well when this OS is released everyone is gonna be pissed a Mr. Devil..err, Gates and turn to Linux, then there a war. I'm just gonna stick with XP.

I know you cant pass files between old OS' and the new one, but if the whole world has the new one, everyong could still pass files...

ragecgi 29-06-2003 01:58 AM

Well, if the so called "pirates" in the computing world are a little scared by this, I doubt it will change pirating all that much, as most of them, from what I understand, are in it for the challenge, not profit.

Also, after reading a LOT from that site, I noticed that near the bottom, it pretty much says that if you create something, it is yours, (obviously) and you have the ability to pass it around freely, with no limitations from "big brother" or anyone else if your "liscense" says so.

So, if you think about it, since most of the better pirates know full-well how to reverse-engineer software to an extent, it stands to reason that pirating will not go away either.

The reason being that any software that they "do their magic" on, they would also, most likely, be able to circumvent the ownership part, and "claim" it as thier own, thus allowing freely distributable, though pirated, software.

So, though still illegal, it would be busuness as usual for that community I guess.

Or, am I reading it wrong?

^^TwEeK^^ 29-06-2003 02:02 AM

i agree with you rage....its like when in windows XP you had to like "register" your copy or something...they thought it would stop the "pirates" from distributing illegal versions of it... and that didnt work

Darkware 29-06-2003 02:06 AM

Yes it will be another challenge for hackers, but I think this one will be the most difficult because of the way it runs. There are so many checkpoints you have to go through, bypassing them would take an eternity. I don't know. Maybe I'm underestimating hackers. Wasn't XP supposed to be unlicensed-software proof? That didn't work out so well.....

They'll have to rename "PC" because with this new OS it's not much of a "personal computer" anymore.

^^TwEeK^^ 29-06-2003 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkware
They'll have to rename "PC" because with this new OS it's not much of a "personal computer" anymore.

yep..maybe BC....Bill's Computer

ragecgi 29-06-2003 02:24 AM

LOL! hehe...

Yeah, I'm pc hardware all the way, but at this rate, if it becomes nasty, and non-personal, it will force me and my fellow users to other os's I think...

A friend of mine is a hardcore penguin guy, and I'm thinking of learning a bit about Linux....... just in case:)

Darkware 29-06-2003 02:41 AM

Yeah, I think I'm switching to Linux anyway because this compter (thankfully not my Maya computer) has some drive errors or something. Scan Disk won't fix the errors, so I can't defragment. Thus, My computer will either slow to a complete halt and crash, I'll reinstall Windows, or I'll buy Linux or Unix and use one of the two. For all of you dreamers out there who want to work at ILM, use Unix because their whole company runs under that OS.

Did you know that you can't have another OS when you have TCPA? Stinks doesn't it?

Edit* - and here's another article on TCPA. It lists some things at the bottom that should be changed on TCPA.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~waa/TCPA/TCPA...bad.html#_ftn2

mtmckinley 29-06-2003 04:25 AM

I haven't read all about it, but doesn't this violate any of the anti-trust thing M$ went through?

Protheus 29-06-2003 10:22 AM

Where there is internet there is a way to crack everything ! The harder microsoft makes there software the more a challenge hackers/crakers will have in cracking there software !