Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Freedom of privacy issues with Microsoft's new OS. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6575)

Darkware 28-06-2003 04:48 PM

Say bye-bye to your computer freedom

A good friend of mine sent me this article about Microsoft's new OS and the new Fritz chip. From what I can see, this is bad news. The sad thing, is that all those computer illiterate people out there will probably buy it anyway because everyone else is buying it, which means people against TCPA will be forced to buy it. Read the whole article as it gets really interesting near the end. I'm not a hacker or cracker, so running unlicensed software on my computer isn't a problem, but file sharing is an enormous thing for me. One of the main reasons I like computers so much is because of their flexibility. That all goes down the drain with this OS.

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

Nem 28-06-2003 05:08 PM

are they serious???

so i just skimmed thru the whole article and dnt no if its just one big joke or not, but assuming that it isnt then why would people actually buy this new software/OS? wouldnt people just migrate to linux or whatever, causing microsoft to lose money?

the way i see it, people use computers as a way of expressing themselves, people on this forum, as 3d artists express themselves through 3d art, people go onto chats and forums to express themselves and their views on certain topics, i think its all just gone two steps too far; limiting peoples abilities to do things on computers, and like darkware said, theres no more flexbility with the introduction of this software and chip!

restricting peoples power to do something legal (like listening to a CD!!!) is not right in my opinion, but it is ourselves who have brought this upon us, maybe we're to blame for all of this :s i dunno, im confused :confused: and angry

gunna go borrow a load of cds off my friend so i know which albums are worth buying!

Darkware 28-06-2003 05:18 PM

Why would people actually buy this new OS? Because all the computer illiterate people who don't know a thing about computers will buy it - people like my mother who doesn't give a rip about the OS she's running. If enough of these people buy computers with TCPA inside them like Microsoft's future Palladium, it will turn into a monopoly and everyone will practically be forced to buy one.

Say you have Linux and write novels for a living. You have three friends who have TCPA compatible machines. There is no way for you to share your novels with your friends because TCPA will not accept your file. So, you have to buy your own TCPA compatible computer.

You have to remember who we're dealing with here - Microsoft.

slickrenderer 28-06-2003 05:57 PM

Ok if the issue is protecting software and music then I am all for it. Why should people have the right to swap music files which they did not pay for?
My work mate has tons of cash in the bank but never EVER buys any legal software. Why should I pay for the R&D while he benefits from using free software.

There are 2 sides to every coin. If this system stops you from sharing legal stuf then I am against it. I need more information.

Darkware 28-06-2003 06:20 PM

I'm all for protecting software and music. The problem lies elsewhere.

Read the second and third paragraph of question 16, the first paragraph of 17, question 19, and question 24.

16 - monopolies arrise, small businesses go bad, the free enterprize system is no more, etc. "As most employment growth occurs in the small to medium business sector, this could have consequences for jobs."

19 - "and whether people will be comfortable about the idea of having their PCs operated, in effect, under remote control -- control that could be usurped by courts or government agencies without their knowledge."

24 - Invasion of privacy and security.

Basically, no one should put all their eggs in one basket.

slickrenderer 28-06-2003 07:00 PM

Agreed on those points.

animatress 28-06-2003 08:58 PM

Welcome Microsoft's new OS and Kiss your computer freedoms goodbye

Welcome Microsoft's new OS and Kiss your computer freedoms goodbye. That means you only get to play your CD's a total of 3 times, access to certain information is severely restricted, you cannot share files with other non-TCPA compatibles computers, everything you do is monitored, and you can only run and install Microsoft approved software. http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

I want to know what people think about this. There are privacy laws and I am wondering how this is legal. Its a scary thought that they can control our computers without our sayso. I think if they are going to control my computer they need to pay for my computer as well. I dont pay all the money I do for everthing on my computer for them to take my privacy away from me. Sorry if I sound a bit upset.:)

Darkware 28-06-2003 09:05 PM

There is a thread about this in the Member's lounge.

drknow 28-06-2003 09:40 PM

Bad Tcpa, Bad, I dont like it. There are few aspects, if any, that i am for. Bad tcpa, bad.

Nem 28-06-2003 09:45 PM

anyone wanna write a new OS to compete with the devil? aka bill gates??

is that slander? sorry if it is Mr Gates: whos probably reading exactly what im typing at the moment

Blinn 28-06-2003 09:58 PM

It's completely insane! If all it did was protect software, I'd be fine with it, but it does a lot more than that. Another step by microsoft to control a monopoly is all I see. They'll be able to tell us what we can or can't use, look at, and listen to.

Grrrr it makes me so mad :mad:

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:27 PM

Gee, I wonder who that good friend who sent that to you was :rolleyes: :beer: Anyways, i'm switching to linux when this comes out and pledging my soul to linux. I'm already preparing my computer for the first Internet World War...which this new OS might start :p

Darkware 28-06-2003 10:47 PM

I knew it was you, but I couldn't think of your SM name. I always know you as RavagingOrc since that's your aim screen name.

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:53 PM

I have many secret identity's in the world known as the internet! And you'll never know all them! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :cool:

animatress 28-06-2003 10:53 PM

what exactly is lunix? and whats this about a internet war. would there be one?

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by animatress
what exactly is lunix? and whats this about a internet war. would there be one?
riiiiiight. www.linux.com. It's a OS that is technicly free and is M$'s biggest competitor. and yes, animatress. The war is coming! It's Coming!!!!!! Free your mind!

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:58 PM

go here

animatress 28-06-2003 11:29 PM

what exactly is going to go on in this war and what is it going to be about and what do I need to do to prepare for it. I have disabled microsoft messenger got adsgone popup killer and spysweeper to block and protect my computer from spyware. is there anything else I need to do?

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 11:52 PM

Go to the Microsoft forums and post that you hate bill gates. Then dig a trench around your computer. Put up a bar above your door so you can swing down when the cops come and shoot them all upside down.:2gunfire: :mingun:

EDIT: is it just me or does it look like that guy is only firing out of one gun instead of two?

Darkware 28-06-2003 11:55 PM

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

animatress 28-06-2003 11:58 PM

hahahahahaha. Sorry I guess I did sound a little paranoid didnt I ;)

doodle 29-06-2003 01:35 AM

What is the war...well when this OS is released everyone is gonna be pissed a Mr. Devil..err, Gates and turn to Linux, then there a war. I'm just gonna stick with XP.

I know you cant pass files between old OS' and the new one, but if the whole world has the new one, everyong could still pass files...

ragecgi 29-06-2003 01:58 AM

Well, if the so called "pirates" in the computing world are a little scared by this, I doubt it will change pirating all that much, as most of them, from what I understand, are in it for the challenge, not profit.

Also, after reading a LOT from that site, I noticed that near the bottom, it pretty much says that if you create something, it is yours, (obviously) and you have the ability to pass it around freely, with no limitations from "big brother" or anyone else if your "liscense" says so.

So, if you think about it, since most of the better pirates know full-well how to reverse-engineer software to an extent, it stands to reason that pirating will not go away either.

The reason being that any software that they "do their magic" on, they would also, most likely, be able to circumvent the ownership part, and "claim" it as thier own, thus allowing freely distributable, though pirated, software.

So, though still illegal, it would be busuness as usual for that community I guess.

Or, am I reading it wrong?

^^TwEeK^^ 29-06-2003 02:02 AM

i agree with you rage....its like when in windows XP you had to like "register" your copy or something...they thought it would stop the "pirates" from distributing illegal versions of it... and that didnt work

Darkware 29-06-2003 02:06 AM

Yes it will be another challenge for hackers, but I think this one will be the most difficult because of the way it runs. There are so many checkpoints you have to go through, bypassing them would take an eternity. I don't know. Maybe I'm underestimating hackers. Wasn't XP supposed to be unlicensed-software proof? That didn't work out so well.....

They'll have to rename "PC" because with this new OS it's not much of a "personal computer" anymore.

^^TwEeK^^ 29-06-2003 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkware
They'll have to rename "PC" because with this new OS it's not much of a "personal computer" anymore.

yep..maybe BC....Bill's Computer

ragecgi 29-06-2003 02:24 AM

LOL! hehe...

Yeah, I'm pc hardware all the way, but at this rate, if it becomes nasty, and non-personal, it will force me and my fellow users to other os's I think...

A friend of mine is a hardcore penguin guy, and I'm thinking of learning a bit about Linux....... just in case:)

Darkware 29-06-2003 02:41 AM

Yeah, I think I'm switching to Linux anyway because this compter (thankfully not my Maya computer) has some drive errors or something. Scan Disk won't fix the errors, so I can't defragment. Thus, My computer will either slow to a complete halt and crash, I'll reinstall Windows, or I'll buy Linux or Unix and use one of the two. For all of you dreamers out there who want to work at ILM, use Unix because their whole company runs under that OS.

Did you know that you can't have another OS when you have TCPA? Stinks doesn't it?

Edit* - and here's another article on TCPA. It lists some things at the bottom that should be changed on TCPA.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~waa/TCPA/TCPA...bad.html#_ftn2

mtmckinley 29-06-2003 04:25 AM

I haven't read all about it, but doesn't this violate any of the anti-trust thing M$ went through?

Protheus 29-06-2003 10:22 AM

Where there is internet there is a way to crack everything ! The harder microsoft makes there software the more a challenge hackers/crakers will have in cracking there software !

Cyborg Corp 29-06-2003 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
What is the war...well when this OS is released everyone is gonna be pissed a Mr. Devil..err, Gates and turn to Linux, then there a war. I'm just gonna stick with XP.

I know you cant pass files between old OS' and the new one, but if the whole world has the new one, everyong could still pass files...

Supposedly you'll be 'forced' to upgrade to the new os if you ever want to upgrade your new hardware. Alot of hardware companies will have the chip that only works with the new OS, thus forcing you to upgrade your OS.

Nem 29-06-2003 02:18 PM

whicever OS u use, surely the new chip in new hardware will become active? or am i confused again? :confused:

and will maya run on linux?

Darkware 29-06-2003 03:05 PM

TCPA will be in everything from motherboards to watches, so upgrading will become difficult.

Nem - Maya is only avaliable on XP, 200 Pro, and Mac OSX I believe.

To the moderators - PLEASE STOP MOVING THIS THREAD AROUND. Originally, I had it in the member's lounge, then someone moved it to the newbie board for some stupid reason, then it's moved back here.

Witchy 29-06-2003 03:47 PM

I would worry about Bill Gates taking over the world if I believed anyone was remotely interested in me as an individual user or in controlling my PC.

I use MS software because it is convenient, if I felt it was infringing my human rights I'd stop. I'm afraid I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories like this- I might not like high software prices or paying for albums when I could leech them for free, but I can understand why companies don't like piracy. And I find I appreciate things I pay for more anyway.

And whatever restrictions are involved in this OS someone will circumvent them. If people feel exploited by M$ switch to Linux or something free- I doubt the little old ladies you cite as being 'victims' of this sort of software will be wanting to pirate expensive software or share their Metallica albums across the net. Most people already slavishly follow the latest upgrades and the latest OS's anyway. I can't see what all the fuss is about myself- if there was no alternative I might do.

Kevin 29-06-2003 04:42 PM

all this would make people do IS actually get hold of a cracked version where someone has ripped these nasty features out!

They are shooting themselves in the foot!

Cyborg Corp 29-06-2003 04:43 PM

if it's crackable

animatress 29-06-2003 05:48 PM

it's crackable. a man made it a man can break it.

Witchy 29-06-2003 05:51 PM

I do hope no women buy it then.

Darkware 29-06-2003 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by animatress
it's crackable. a man made it a man can break it.
Yes, anything is crackable, but depending upon on how many hoops hackers have to jump through decides whether or not cracking it will be convenient for the public. You have to remember that the TCPA chip is attached directly to the motherboard, so messing with it could fry everything. You can't access it through programs on your computer. The chip itself has to be modified and I highly doubt many people will want to mess with that ordeal.

Quote:

Originally posted by Witchy
And I find I appreciate things I pay for more anyway.
Amen to that.

slickrenderer 29-06-2003 06:57 PM

PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT We will be the loosers. Maybe I will switch back to Apple. all I need is my Adobe stuff, Flash and Maya.