Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   New Character's (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7143)

howardporter 28-07-2003 12:33 AM

New Character's

1 Attachment(s)
Hey y'all here is a new guy. I had a bunch of other ideas over vacation and I will post them here with the hopes that I recieve the awesome C+C that you guys are famous for :D

I figure these guys could be the crew onboard a space ship in the story I have going with my man in the moon guy (see other post :))

I dont know what my fascination with slimey things is lately but.... I am thinking the snail guy would be the captain and the two other guys could be part of the crew....

good old colored pencils in the sketch book here :D

howardporter 28-07-2003 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and the "twins" the bickering brothers :D

howardporter 28-07-2003 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and early grabs of the characters...

also introducing the "hero" of the story the boy... dont have a name yet...

more to come :D

adldesigner 28-07-2003 01:00 AM

This is no C&C.
This is just a good ol-fashioned praise.

Incredible job mate! How do you find time to work on so many stuff?
Personally I like the bickering brothers, I wonder if you did those in some onion skin paper?

howardporter 28-07-2003 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I actually DONT have the time for this :D while my wife sleeps I use my laptop next to her... if we go somewhere I make her drive while I draw... those drawings were done in the car :) Its all I think about these days...

I didnt use any onion skin paper... Is that like vellum? I actually cheated in Photoshop :) I threw a darker color beneath my drawing, set the drawing layer to darken and used the gradient tool beneath those two layer to bring out the lighter areas... the first one had no PS help... but it did have the help of my friends 4 year old daughter scribbling on the bottom :)

first render of the cappin' How can I make him look more captain like? some sort of emblem or medals

howardporter 28-07-2003 01:20 AM

and our hero's home :D

howardporter 28-07-2003 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
whoops, forgot the file! :(

traveler 28-07-2003 01:23 AM

Hey man good work.what weed you been smoking?

howardporter 28-07-2003 01:27 AM

hehehehehe.... *cough* *cough* hehehehehehe *heh*

actually I cant smoke :( I have asthma... but I do like me some beer!

howardporter 28-07-2003 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
...mail box.... I am bench marking the server tonight eh?

traveler 28-07-2003 01:44 AM

i like it i like it man were do you get your insperation from.

Witchy 28-07-2003 01:52 AM

Fantastic stuff! I like the 3 eyed snail!

howardporter 28-07-2003 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
tnx guys. 3 eyes are better than one....

I am really inspired by other peoples work around here. Witchy is great at whimsical cartoony characters - Kurt is great at fantasy horror....

and there is this guy http://www.m1k3.com/ who is good

and MTMkinney and Brian El....

well here is more of the wormguy-dude

I promise no more posts for a while:D

EagleKing 28-07-2003 07:10 PM

what the hell dude?

challenge...man on the moon...thousands of other projects at the same time. Are you something like an alien? hehe just kidding mate.

You are one of the fastest and best 3d artist I have ever seen. :)

Nataliia 28-07-2003 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by howardporter
tnx guys. 3 eyes are better than one....
Maybe he got Mr. Toad's other eye by mistake? :D

These are looking wonderful. Very inspirational for those of us just starting out.

Witchy 28-07-2003 10:06 PM

>>I promise no more posts for a while

Don't make us break your legs with sticks in order to have to go back on that promise Howard!

More is genuinely more where your stuff is concerned.

howardporter 29-07-2003 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ow!!! my shins are quite sore after witchey's visit with his whipping stick :D so I better post something again :)

Eagle- I am not that fast, just obsessed is all:bgreen:

Natalia- I think you are correct about Mr toads eye... Or Sammy Davis Jr... :)

ok. here is a bit more of the brother worms... no real textures yet, just a blin thrown on...

howardporter 29-07-2003 04:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and I started working on home enviornment...

damn I wish I had bryce! :mad:

luistlf 29-07-2003 08:00 AM

Great job, i like the characters :)

Xigen 29-07-2003 10:01 AM

Respeckt :beer:

I like the style you got.

You got me all fired up, even if i cant draw, i will do it everyday so i get bether.

Keep posting that eye candy.

Ps. must say Simplymaya rules, just bought myself a laptop so i can have maya with me at all times.

fredriksson 29-07-2003 03:05 PM

Great stuff. I think the captain could have some hat or something on his top eyestalk.

Kurt 29-07-2003 03:09 PM

Aww dude.... great stuff thoughs guys would be awsome to animate... loads of character in each of them........

Your a great artist mate...

I love the snail guy hes my fav.......

Witchy 29-07-2003 04:35 PM

Great updates! Sorry about the shins but see, it's worth it!

Thomas Mahler 29-07-2003 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by howardporter
I actually DONT have the time for this :D while my wife sleeps I use my laptop next to her... if we go somewhere I make her drive while I draw... those drawings were done in the car :) Its all I think about these days...
I always love to hear something like that. That´s the motivation and the "love", that makes great projects even greater.

Quote:

first render of the cappin' How can I make him look more captain like? some sort of emblem or medals
Define his mimic. Look at your drawing and then compare it to your model. Take a close look at the lips - the drawing shows very hard, angular lips - the 3d model has very soft ones.

With such "low detailled" characters you have to take on clichés - So, try to make him as hard and excentric as possible to meet viewers expectations.

Hey, no C&C yet: looks great, I really like it and hope you keep it up!

EagleKing 29-07-2003 09:29 PM

Quote:

those drawings were done in the car
:confused:

I could sit on a 10000$ drawing table and could not draw better

adldesigner 29-07-2003 09:32 PM

Actually you could.

You would feel compelled to practice thus enhancing your drawing skills. Howard has been drawing almost all his life, he has a loose hand now, you just have to loosen yours*. ;)

*And stop using it that much for "that other stuff".

EagleKing 29-07-2003 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adldesigner

*And stop using it that much for "that other stuff".

man you are disgusting. well see you in the irc :D

paki 29-07-2003 10:41 PM

wow, great stuff!! =) keep it up

drknow 29-07-2003 10:44 PM

That is cool howard. I would give my left nut to be able to draw and implement my drawings like that.

howardporter 30-07-2003 01:39 AM

whhhhooooooooah :D thanx for all the awesome support!!

I like the idea of a captains hat on the cappins eyestalk! thanks!

Thomas Mahler - I looked back at my drawing... and you are so right, i lost the mouth shape :( maybe I can fix it with a morph target....err blend shape?

and DrKnow, I seriously considered trading you my drawing ability for your left nut....I could use one... you see, my wife took mine when we were married. she keeps them on a platter and whenever I look/think about another woman they begin to hum and alert her of my "naughtyness". she told me ever marrige works that way, this isnt true?

howardporter 30-07-2003 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is all i had time for tonight :(

as per Adl's suggestion (to exercise more) I bought a treadmill tonight and my exercise was putting it together;)

I made a hat for the cappin'- maybe some medals tomorrow eh?

Alan 30-07-2003 03:49 PM

lol looks great but it's soooo gonna fall off!! ;)

How did he manage to put it on? :D

Alan

Witchy 30-07-2003 05:20 PM

Great stuff, perhaps he has an automated hatstand that fits, removes and stores his hats. :D

Alan 30-07-2003 11:21 PM

lol yeah, I was just thinking that a pixar style eye would look fantastic in this character, think monsters inc.... :)

Alan

howardporter 30-07-2003 11:31 PM

ooooh yeah, that would be sweeeet! (opens monsters inc dvd right now!)

witchy- good idea- it could be like a willy wonka thing- OR what about a teleporter like in StarTrek? with the sparkely stuff!

Alan 30-07-2003 11:37 PM

it's the translucency that really gives the monsters inc eyes that special quality, a friend of mine is working on photoreal eyes at the moment and he is having a nitemare of a time with them :)

Alan

fredriksson 30-07-2003 11:56 PM

I just love your stuff howard, cracks me up everytime. :D

sorcecode 31-07-2003 07:51 AM

Amazing use of the cam and lighting!

Realy brings life to the picture!

Vampus 31-07-2003 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
How did he manage to put it on? :D

Alan

Staple Gun? That might explain why it sits like that without falling off :) Probably why he doesn't make it sit straight either:D

Vectorman 01-08-2003 03:57 AM

Damn THIS is what i been missing!?!?! Too much time away from SM!! I thought of the hat on the larger eye idea as a was scrolling too, then thought about how it would fall off too, then laughed when i read that you guys did all the same. I'm soooooo ispired howard, and that guy you linked too, AMAZING!

I'm BUYING this freaking book.