Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   August Challenge - Witchy - Normal (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7256)

^^TwEeK^^ 26-08-2003 04:19 PM

WOW!!
looking great...
i really like the textures

Witchy 26-08-2003 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!

Further use for early wheels (I also got carried away and started a landsurfer, but I'll save that for now I think as the cave is getting a little crowded).

M 26-08-2003 07:17 PM

Witchy, this is looking amazing like always! Keep up the great work :D. I sware, you should work for disney!

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 01:21 PM

I'm really liking this one. :) Hope you finish.

Witchy 31-08-2003 03:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mike!

Nearly finished - have yet to rig caveguy but I put everything together anyway in case I don't have time after work tommorrow. Final render in the finals thread. In any case cave guy will be worked on further as I rather like him.

Progress shot showing cave etc.

TheGreenGiant 31-08-2003 03:17 AM

Hello there! I just had a look at your final! It's a pity that some of the detail (eg, cave painting... etc) has been occluded by the characters/prop in front. What happen to the mad scientist you modelled?

Could be a bit late for critique but I thought you could make the parrot/bird creature at the front a bit smaller. (For composition reasons).

TGG

Witchy 31-08-2003 03:23 AM

Caveman isn't rigged so he's not in the shot. Seemed a bit unfair to have him standing in the cave looking less like a scientist and more like a man on the way to a crucifixion! If I have time I shall rig him tommorrow and redo the final, if not then he will follow along later.

Size of the pterydactyl is based on hours and hours of exhaustive research, actually not in the least, but he started smaller and I resized him as I preferred him larger. Just goes to show 8). The cave paintings and things were never really intended to be a focus, was fun in photshop though. On the bright side, you can see the cave era stitching :D

drknow 31-08-2003 01:37 PM

Damn, You are sooooo good witch.

Witchy 31-08-2003 07:36 PM

That's nice but untrue 8). This was a good challenge and I learnt a few things about lighting and texturing. For such a simple end look the lighting was a major pain in the arse. First time I had used nurbs and the sculpt poly tool for anything meaningful too. A good few firsts. Still, makes for a new desktop for me if nothing else and it's a little more than last month which is things moving in the right direction at least.

mtmckinley 31-08-2003 07:44 PM

Definitely improving. :) I hope you and others enjoy next month's comp.

Witchy 31-08-2003 07:50 PM

Thanks! I feel rather outclassed in the normal category I have to say; it is like floundering around in the deep end of a swimming pool clutching ones water wings as people do the crawl past one at 40mph. Still little steps are good steps 8).

drknow 04-09-2003 02:52 AM

Hey, I love the style. Simple is better to me.