Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mac vs PC (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7717)

ckyuk 30-08-2003 09:34 AM

Mac vs PC

I'm planning on getting a new computer but i'm not sure what to buy ... the new Power Mac G5 or build myself a PC. I'm not planning on playing games so i don't want people saying get a PC as they get all the games, i've got a PS2 for that. The computer will mainly be used for CG work usings Maya and Photoshop. What should i buy?

EagleKing 30-08-2003 09:38 AM

I don't have a clue about what is better. PC or mac. The only thing I know is that I have a pc and I can use it very well for using photoshop and maya.

mushroomgod 30-08-2003 11:16 AM

get a pc....though i love macs to death (and im still a little upset from giving mine to my dad...), pcs are better at 3d in general..

Ultragames 30-08-2003 11:40 AM

Man, you realise your starting a war here right?? PCs are better for 3D. Most CG proggies have better verisons in PC. PCs are just better for this all around.

drknow 30-08-2003 12:24 PM

PCs Rock, Macs Suck, Its like having a car that you cant open the hood on.

adldesigner 30-08-2003 01:16 PM

-Thread under observation-

David 30-08-2003 01:21 PM

lol @ adl

I think you should just try both if you haven't all ready done so and find the one with the OS you like most, the new g5 is very fast so no problems there at the end of the day the best machine is the one your most comfortable using.

David :)

EagleKing 30-08-2003 01:32 PM

--EDIT by David--

Nothing wrong with this thread, a question was asked so lets not do anything except try and give a sensible reply to the mans question.

David :)

mtmckinley 30-08-2003 01:49 PM

I've not used Maya for Mac, but I have used many other art applications, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and the like. Aside from a few keyboard shortcut differences, I've never noticed much of any difference between the performance of Mac and PC counterpart programs.

My only real reason for having a PC is that I do more than just Maya and art related stuff with it, and PC just has the largest "area of influence" so to speak with all the software out there.

So, I reckon you should get whichever you like better.

Alan 30-08-2003 01:52 PM

I just cant get used to only one mouse button, that's what really annoys me about macs (that and the fact that more support and resources are available for PC)

I'd 100% always get a PC

Alan

Ultragames 30-08-2003 01:55 PM

one button is PURE FREAKING EVIL!! I have 8 on mine. Its my personal revenge against Macs for their one button crap!. lol

ckyuk 30-08-2003 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, i've just got back from the shop with my new case so i'm building a PC not having a Mac. I've got the ThermalTake Xaser III Blue V1000D (£105) and it's massive, the trouble i had getting it in the car. I haven't got any battries for my digital camera at the moment so i've just posted a pic off their web site untill i get some battries. What you think of it?

Alan 30-08-2003 02:02 PM

swweeeeeetttt!!! :D

ckyuk 30-08-2003 02:21 PM

Next question, Dual Xeon or Dual MP

I think it'll be Dual Xeon with this motherboard Motherboard

dragonfx 30-08-2003 02:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drknow
PCs Rock, Macs Suck, Its like having a car that you cant open the hood on. [/QUOTE
you can open em (g4 1/4 turn screws... ) and do things like adding more ram etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
i have to agree that macs suck because the lowered price/performance (they win on design no doubt) but the fewer range of things you can do with a mac and the 1 button definitely reveal it as it is: a rich guy toy.... (... mentioned that i loved the design?:))

dragonfx 30-08-2003 02:59 PM

whoops i arrived late...

lol it seems it will end costing as a mac... but at least it will have loads more muscle....:) one of those days ill post a pic of my crappy gray 20€ case open with a house fan ponting at it... :D you wont find better refigeration for a lower prize :D

ckyuk 30-08-2003 03:40 PM

I've still got to check a few compatibility issues but here is the general spec i think i'll have.

Thermaltake Highest Xaser III V1000D Super Tower
Dual Xeon supermicro X5DAE Motherboard
2 x Intel Xeon 2.4GHz
2 x 1.0 GB DDR PC2100 ECC Registered
250 GB Western Digital 7200rpm IDE HDD
Leadtek Winfast GF4 Ti4200 128Mb DDR 8xAGP Graphics Card
TDK DVW-A040212N DVD+/-RW black
SoundBlaster Audigy2 6.1 Surround sound card
Creative Inspire 6700 6.1 Surround Sound speakers
Thermal Take Quiet 480W Black Dual fan PSU
Thermaltake XaserIII Keyboard & Mouse
Lacie Photon 20.1" vision LCD/TFT Monitor

I've never built a PC before so tell me what i've missed.

mushroomgod 30-08-2003 03:55 PM

ckyuk,

how much is that going to cost?

and where are you going to buy it from?

ckyuk 30-08-2003 04:03 PM

£3513.23

Some of it from my local shop but most from a couple of shops on the net.

ckyuk 30-08-2003 04:07 PM

I would of had a TV card but the one i've got now keeps crashing my computer every time i use it. (Hauppauge WinTV PCI with XP Home)

ckyuk 30-08-2003 04:08 PM

and i'll have to get XP Pro due to Dual CPUs

dragonfx 30-08-2003 06:08 PM

lucky u... i´ll have to work again soon...(if i can) the dirty poor student life is killing me... (the damn dentist bill finished my security margin...)

btw... have you thinked about a logiteck cordless optical keyboard+ muse combo?

(Its cool thingie, and the keyboard still hadnt needed cell replacement in 6 months and the mose just evey month and half or so...)Besides it allows me hiding the case and going as far from it as i can :D)

Zyk0tiK 30-08-2003 07:26 PM

Man... that's some crazy computing right there!

Also, whoever said that PCs are better for 3d stuff is wrong, Infact Macs are generally made for graphics work. Preferance is of course the esscence here, I prefer using PCs however would love to have a mac, the problem being that i have no idea of how to use a Mac, and so it would be no use having one.

ckyuk 30-08-2003 07:48 PM

Yeah i've never used a Mac before either but i need to learn how as i have to use them on my graphic design course i'm starting this year.

ckyuk 30-08-2003 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
btw... have you thinked about a logiteck cordless optical keyboard+ muse combo?
Yeah i did think about the logiteck optical cordless range and they are good, i've used them a few times, but although the Xaser range isn't cordless it is optical and after all it is only a keyboard and mouse so i went with the Xaser on looks as it goes with the case and i think i can live with a few wires.

dragonfx 30-08-2003 08:12 PM

told ya cause im thinking on selling it for cash :D just joking.. im not planning on selling this cool piece of hardware, yet... lets see if it continues to be a joke next month...

---------------------
they lied me at uni.. they toldme that economists always do it with models... and also that economists get rich themselves explaining to others why they are poor... but...

ckyuk 30-08-2003 08:43 PM

I was just looknig into buy XP pro and saw this in the description:

Quote:

Originally from some website
Dramatically reduced reboot scenarios
Windows only crashed every six months or so under 2000, under XP it seems to crash each week or whenever you ask it to do something like move the mouse. Still can't beat Windows 3.11 never crashed once in it's whole life.

Ultragames 30-08-2003 09:32 PM

WAIT! 250gb HDD?, NO! Heres what you need to do. Go get 2 100GB HDDs, and a 50 GB HDD. Also, get a hardware RAID card. It makes 200 of your original 250 GBs read and write TWICE AS FAST. Then put extreamly important things on the 50.

If you do hardware RAID instead of software RAID, you can RAID your OS. Making your OS alot faster.

Does the board you want have dual memory controlers?

EDIT: Btw, RAID the two 100GB together. :D

Ultragames 30-08-2003 09:36 PM

YOU made a bad choice with the mouse. What you need is the Logitech MX 700. It is about $60 now. But heres the thing. It it the most precise mouse on the market today. you will be amazed how you can have control over every pixel, with otu having to zoom in to 1600X. lol. i Love it. it is way worth the money!

(Also great for gaming!)

Zyk0tiK 30-08-2003 11:59 PM

The man is correct! RAID smaller hard drives and your computer will run faster. Trust this guy, he knows what he's on about ;)

aldudeau 31-08-2003 12:05 AM

I dont kwno anything about macs but i really want to try one. they sound cool but i am just scared of them because i have no idea on how to use them, but by the sounds of it they are pretty good.

alex

Ultragames 31-08-2003 02:15 AM

Wow. Thanks Zyk0tik. Im thinking that counts as a "I second that!"

:D

mushroomgod 31-08-2003 10:48 AM

www.europc.co.uk

thay have a few good deals on dual xeons that might intrest you...thay only sell refurbished pc though.

have a look at the dell Precision section, most of the Precisions have quadros or fire gls/dvd writers as well :)

Emo 31-08-2003 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ultragames
WAIT! 250gb HDD?, NO! Heres what you need to do. Go get 2 100GB HDDs, and a 50 GB HDD. Also, get a hardware RAID card. It makes 200 of your original 250 GBs read and write TWICE AS FAST. Then put extreamly important things on the 50.

If you do hardware RAID instead of software RAID, you can RAID your OS. Making your OS alot faster.

Does the board you want have dual memory controlers?

EDIT: Btw, RAID the two 100GB together. :D

That's a plan but why not put in a 10K Raptor for his OS and important stuff and the rest on teh 2 100hdd? That's what I plan to do with my new PC

-Emo

dragonfx 31-08-2003 08:33 PM

wtf is a 10k raptor?

and now that i come to think about it why not install windows to a 1 gb memorystick? (yes there are 1 gb memorys for cameras... just that it costs 1000€...)

(that can be done? booting from a solid state memory device such as a memory card?)

adldesigner 31-08-2003 08:49 PM

Hehehe, sounds cool. :p

ragecgi 31-08-2003 10:50 PM

...and FAST! :)

Zyk0tiK 01-09-2003 01:56 AM

That would be so awesome if you could do that! hahaha!!

Man it would be so fast!

dragonfx 01-09-2003 11:44 AM

does anyone knows if the mobo of one of those pcs (like the new hp´s) wich have one 51/4" slot ocuppied with a thingie with lots of memorycard lectors can be configured to treat that thingie as a boot device? (if they can boot fron zip/LS devices...)

(when i finish my exams(on saturday) i will investigate... ill have to wait for those 1Gb memorysticks to drop price dramatically but it would be soo cool...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just imagine the possibiities of tech on the 5 next years...
think comercialization of specialiced nanodevices on twenty years (not disasemblers)
think mars frist colonized on thirty/fourty years
(think Maya N then:D)
think comercialization of CLEAN D-He3 FUSION reactors on 50 years
think that for us tech will be magic in 100 years
we cant imagine what on a thousand years...

(that is at the current science/tech expansion growth level if we dont fry ourselves or make something equally stupid and so catastrophic that slows it)

Emo 01-09-2003 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
wtf is a 10k raptor?
A Western Digital "Raptor" series HDD that spins at 10,000 RPM.... does that make it clearer?? :D

-Emo