Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   September Challenge - Scraggy_dogg - Noobie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7748)

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 04:39 PM

Having problems getting 'feel'

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guy's/Gal's
I spent the first day doing an outer level going off Mike's piccy's, but when I checked the day after - It looked like a vlatant rip off of the pictures posted. - So I threw that scene away.
So I spent yesterday trying to create another outdoor area, but I still seem to run into problems.
I don't want to copy the images that Mike put up, just to get the 'feel' of them... But once I started, as you can see the resulting scene looks like it could have been a church in a WW2 game...!
Not as if it would fit into Unreal.

OK I now see that putting a 'fence' type railing is probably the worst thing I could put on there, but please can you give me some other pointers on how I could 'Bash' this back into shape and make it have more of the 'feel' of the original shots?
If not then it's Outdoor MK3

Cheers Scraggy

HappyLemon 05-09-2003 05:13 PM

I was going to create somethign with more "flare" tooo, in the first place, but then I checkout out some game's concept drawing and the game's screen shot (like Syberia) and the two of them really isn't that different. I started following the drawing mostly the same and will add to the flare later.

The feeling of the building is blunt, bulky,and not spiky, try to follow that?

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 05:27 PM

Need Inspiration !!!!

The more I look, the more I hate it.... I think I better go try something else, then come back to it... Otherwise I will delete it.

I just can't get the 'hang' of this style ..... Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying every minute, but it is frustrating, must be like that in the job but 100x worse when your not 'into' the subject you are creating.......

Please keep the comments coming thick and fast... I need Inspiring people.... (Maybe I should go play Unreal for a while)...

Cheers Scraggy.....

mtmckinley 05-09-2003 05:52 PM

Well, if you aren't into that concept, perhaps try one of the others?

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 07:56 PM

Call me old fashioned.....

Thanks for the offer of 'opting out', but as you have spent so much time creating this challenge, and it is a "Real World" Challenge as far as possible, then I feel that as I have accepted the challenge, then do or die - I must at least try my best to complete it as far as my ability's go...
I would still like some comments regarding what to/not do... In regards to the last picture... It does NOT look as if it would fit with the Posted piccy's ... I agree with HappyLemon about the Blocky thing... Is there anything else someone can help me with......?

Scraggy :D

I'm sure I heard someone say delete it...?
Where's Vampus when you need him?

Witchy 05-09-2003 11:35 PM

I don't think it doesn't fit altogether. It looks a bit castle like, mostly due to the shape of the doors and the spikes, but I think you could make it fit in with the concept by adding some futuristic touches and other things. I don't think you should delete it. Try adding some chunky bays or towers to it - maybe this could be a corner tower rather than a centre piece. Perhaps add some vehicle bays or landing areas like in the concept and some larger defences.

carrot juice 05-09-2003 11:46 PM

Yah, I agree with Witchy. it's great work, and it could be pretty easily made to fit. the corner thing is a good idea, methinks.

mtmckinley 06-09-2003 02:28 AM

I wasn't meaning for you to opt out. There's 4 concepts available for this challenge, so I was figuring if you didn't like Concept #1, you could try one of the others. :)

Scraggy_Dogg 06-09-2003 12:42 PM

Concept connundrum

Understood, :D Will keep at concept one for awhile and see what comes out.... If still nothing will then consider a swap.

Cheers

Have started a new one and I think it looks better, will post when some more is completed - see what the feedback is...

:D Scraggy's Dog.

Scraggy_Dogg 06-09-2003 09:13 PM

Problemo....

1 Attachment(s)
OK ...
I tried deleting some of the 'inside' err un-viewable quads/poly's w/ever This brought me this problem.... I wondered which is the best way of making a plane at the base of the 8 sides... But I have to make a hole in the centre to allow Ladder access....? :(
I tried messing with the Tool Options and am sure it's the answer but....Cannot suss it out... [I mean work it out]

I have highlit? edges.

Hmmm OK Forget that... Because that model has dissapeared totally, and all that is left is the stairs and pipes
This has happened a couple of times... where a piece out of the scene has disappeared....? Any Ideas? I have looked in outliner etc... Nope... not there...! I sit maybe because I didn't delete History ????
I'm confused...

Scraggy :banghead:

Scraggy_Dogg 06-09-2003 09:50 PM

Boolean Hell????

Hmmm bet it was that Boolean thing...that has a habit of making things disappear on me... Scraggy

Witchy 06-09-2003 09:53 PM

Try using the append to poly tool to fill in the space, then perhaps extrude the shape you want upwards.

Scraggy_Dogg 07-09-2003 12:20 AM

Main bit missing...?

Nope... It's really gone.... Just left the props and stairs? I have nothing loaded of main structure,..... Hmmm that's a first.....maybe i will check other folders?
But cannot see how because some parts are here? Just not the main bit.... Cannot Cntrl-Z or anything......

OK MK 102 Scraggy

Witchy 07-09-2003 12:45 AM

Revert to a version you saved already?

Scraggy_Dogg 07-09-2003 12:50 AM

Nope... :( I had 2 but updated cos i thought ....erghemmmm. was OK

Just wondering why???? But prob cos I did something wrong before Boolean.....
Never Mind Scraggy