Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   September Challenge - Scraggy_dogg - Noobie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7748)

Scraggy_Dogg 01-09-2003 06:09 PM

September Challenge - Scraggy_dogg - Noobie

1 Attachment(s)
OK I have never done a Character before, and really want to but just in case the going get's tough I will model the character and just see how it turns out.
So with that in mind I will pick Numero Uno the Space thingy.
At least that way I don't have to submit if it's naff. :D

Hey BTW tell Kevin thanks :D
I nicked his 'Simple Man' tutorial to see how hard characters are.... And I like thes e Subdiv's :D
BTW Can I use Subdiv's? they are only sort of Poly's aren't they?
(please excuse my lack of understanding the basics)

Oh yeah BTW How do I Un-Triangulate? I had to Cntrl-Z out.

Regards Scraggy

Darkware 01-09-2003 06:16 PM

Don't think you will be able to use sub-divs seeing as how I doubt they are used in games. Polys only. No nurbs either. Also, I don't think you can un-triangulate. Triangulating is ment to be done when you are completely finished with your model. Usually, I model a little, triangulate to see how close my poly count comes to my cap, undo, then model some more, then triangulate again later, see how close I am to my poly limit, etc, etc until I realize that I shouldn't model any more because my poly count will go overboard. Then I triangulate permanentely.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

adldesigner 01-09-2003 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkware
Don't think you will be able to use sub-divs seeing as how I doubt they are used in games. Polys only. No nurbs either. Also, I don't think you can un-triangulate. Triangulating is ment to be done when you are completely finished with your model. Usually, I model a little, triangulate to see how close my poly count comes to my cap, undo, then model some more, then triangulate again later, see how close I am to my poly limit, etc, etc until I realize that I shouldn't model any more because my poly count will go overboard. Then I triangulate permanentely.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Sounds reasonable indeed.
Mike should have this better nailed than most of us.

Scraggy_Dogg 01-09-2003 06:31 PM

Ta

Hmm Ok - It's just the only tutorial that I could follow for making a character.
Most of the others were NURBS or Patching?
I thought maybe Sudivs were Poly's but divided up smaller? DOH!
OK good job I picked No 1 then because I haven't the faintest in making a character out of Poly's (Unless his name is 'SpongebobSquareAll' )- LOL No Problem.....Will start on Buildings...

mtmckinley 01-09-2003 06:38 PM

Polygons > Quadrangulate does an ok job of "un-triangulating." Not perfect, though.

Polygons only! :)

[icarus_uk] 01-09-2003 08:45 PM

Theres a mel script somewhere that tells you the triangles even without triangulating.

Zyk0tiK 02-09-2003 06:10 AM

You say "no polys" but surely you can convert from Subd to polygons? that is becomming extremely popular with knew engines isnt it. Make them high res using NURBS etc etc, and bake them down to low polys?

Darkware 02-09-2003 11:30 AM

Oh yes, you can model in whatever you want. Just so long as the final result is polys.

mtmckinley 02-09-2003 12:46 PM

Sure, nothing wrong with that, although that's not a method that anyone I know personally uses. :)

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 01:26 PM

Character...

Hmm, would that work OK?
I have had problems finding 'Understandable' Tutorials that make Characters, all the ones I came across were either NURBS or something. [I looked on Boris] .. I remembered Kevin's because it was the first tutorial I ever did and was so easy to do.

So what will happen when I convert my model to poly's? - will it get more 'Blocky' ? In fact don't answer - I will go and try it on that model.
Natalia told me there may be some poly/character/tut's on Planethalflife/Planetquake so I will go check now.. :) J.I.C. my model turns into 'Lego Man' when I convert :D

Anyway I won't spend too much time on the Character it's just because it's something i think is a MUST to learn to model, so want to give it a bash.

"Why do we have to wear these ridiculous ties"
"Who ate all the dohnuts?"

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 03:21 PM

Problem getting vertices to snap?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I have been following an Alias tutorial on making a Poly gearwheel. The problem arises when I need to get the sided back straight after scaling them in all directions....

It says to go into side view, select all the Top vertices, press 'Snap to grid' and when you pull up - they are all supposed to even out along the Grid-line...so then you turn off Grid snap and put them back and your gear has a nice flat side...
For some reason mine don't? I have tried the 'Tool Options' and any others I can think of, but just cannot get the vertices to individually snap. - They all keep their original shape..?
Any Ideas?
In the picture you can see that I have pulled all vertices from the side of the gear up, and they indeed have snapped to the grid...But keeping same shape??? I'm sure there must be an option or something that I need to turn on, adjust or whatever..

Regards Scraggy

[EDIT]
Thanks to NitroLiq and Fredriksson for the help, all sorted out now, I had to go to 'Move tool options' and Unchecked 'Keep Spacing' Box ...... to get it to snap properly.

Zyk0tiK 02-09-2003 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Sure, nothing wrong with that, although that's not a method that anyone I know personally uses. :)
ID Software uses this method for Quake 4, haven't you seen their models? couple of hundred thousand polys, ready to be baked down to low poly.

Zyk0tiK 02-09-2003 06:17 PM

Scraggy, if you're going to do polygonal modelling just use your intuition, it's not hard at all. My method means getting a cube, extruding faces to make one side of a shirt, then delete the side then use the split poly tool to get more resolution into the charachters, and drag them points out to where you want. Just pretend you're working with clay, first you make basic shape, then define. Then work on the legs in the same way, then on the arms, then the head. Try looking at Kurt's low poly bloke and try copy exactly what he did, just by looking at the lines and such. You will then be able to do it. The project i started is only my 3rd ever model. Polygon based stuff is so easy, just use your intuition and brains of how things should look and you'll do fine :)

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 08:17 PM

Danke!

Cheers for help, actually did find some Poly tutorials out there, but really the problem lies with me getting used to tools... I suppose ("Like the above post"got me stuck for like 2-3Hrs)
I soon found out that everyone seems to have their own way of making Poly Character models
i.e. Some say "Use a Cylinder so you don't have to shape" (may try that!) Some i have seen put a sort of wierd twist in the cube while making the neck (I think?)
Basically I need to learn all the tools then I can try it, I just got 'Wedge Poly' learned........ Doing 'Bevel' next...

Oh yeah I have that C.P.S. err Script? working, but I dunno if it's worth looking at? I really don't want to confuse the issue if I don't have to...(But at least i leaned how to install it) :)

Great Idea Zyk0tiK, will try to do a copy... of the Simple Man ... (Kevin's) in Poly's....And see whappens!

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 09:23 PM

Ok Apart from that....Comp...

Hi...

Ok, I have a couple of questions?

Poly Cylinders... How do make a proper bend? I have been just extruding and doing by sight... :(
How do you make a decent 'Mountains and hills in Poly's?' without going crazy on the Triangle meter!
Its no fair I cannot use that 'Paint' thingy ..... :(

Hmmm maybe I better sit this one out, otherwise you gonna get really fed up answering me ... Hmmm Plus the Bandwidth - lol!

:banghead: :beer: Scraggy

HappyLemon 02-09-2003 09:30 PM

Well, for the bend you can try deform>create nonlinear>bend, and play with it (remeber to press t to show manipulator). Now I don't know how to "bake" the triangle in after the deform yet, I'm still waiting for somebody else to rescue me on that one.

And I would like to know how to create mountains, too. Help anyone?:)

NitroLiq 02-09-2003 09:54 PM

For the mountain, maybe this thread will get you started. It may make your polycount crazy high, though. Another way would be to take a plane and just start pulling and pushing. Another way would be to just start with a cube primitive and start splitting polygons, extruding this way and that. That would give you the rough, look of the one sketch with the station tucked in the mountain cliff.

Scraggy_Dogg 03-09-2003 12:08 AM

Mountains and Bends........

OK Thanks :D

BTW I saw that thread but yeah, I agree about the poly count and thought that Mike would have kittens if he saw me messing with all those triangles on this challenge.. Looks really cool tho.... :)
I thought of making a Big wide flat Cube with loads of subdivisions on the surface as the plane, kind of like NitroLiq's second choice, have had some success - but if anyone has a better idea...?

When I tried using a plane, (Tried that before the cube) I could not get it to lift up? I will check settings....I imagine it may lower poly count a lot....But for some reason mine would not 'lift' up....

Scraggy

Will sleep a bit then try it all out...... :D

mtmckinley 03-09-2003 12:13 AM

Keep in mind that you are not responsible for creating the terrain, sky, etc.

To bake a deformation, Delete history.

Scraggy_Dogg 03-09-2003 07:21 PM

Aaaagggghhh!

1 Attachment(s)
I lost some of my models!
Dunno how but it happened to all today's work!
I also have that (losing connection problem) again. I traced to a faulty cable so need rewiring... :(
OK Everyone else seems to have a 'Workstation' - I wonder? did we all start with that?
So here's what I did yesterday ....

Scraggy.....

Scraggy_Dogg 03-09-2003 07:23 PM

Hmmm I don't like the look of the side of the monitor maybe I should re-do... Yes I should ... It's naff.....And has loads of un-needed poly's... Only just clicked now.

Scraggy_Dogg 03-09-2003 08:01 PM

Scaling is wrong?

I have a question about the Scaling/Measuring on this Challenge.
OK I used the '1 Grid space = 1 foot' to make sure everything is scaled right, but there's many instances where I want to turn the Grid 'off' - or measure a models 'height' and so I cannot see the Grid.
I started using the CREATE>Measure Tools>Distance tool, but soon realized it was working on a different range....

How do I set this? It would be a BIG help... :D

Regards Scraggy

mtmckinley 03-09-2003 08:09 PM

The measure tool should be set to units. If not, check the options, I suppose.

Watch out for the number of polys at the edges of your chair. It's kinda high. You could half the geometry at those hinge areas easily.

[icarus_uk] 03-09-2003 09:27 PM

Yes I was going to say that as well. Low poly unfortunately means sharper angles. You might also want to look at that sphere, perhaps reducing the number of sections a bit.

Scraggy_Dogg 04-09-2003 01:51 PM

Scale.

OK Thanks - But Icarus, I really should have explained - When I'm modelling I have a couple of those 'Block and sphere' thingymajigs (The dumb looking thing behind the chair) hanging around my scene.
They are only there to help me get the scale right, one is set to 6' (Man's height) and I have another one, shorter to represent someone sitting. It just helps me visualize better but I forgot to delete it out.

B.T.W. That chair is 'History' - all gone. Will re-do with less sections on the curves, should look OK methinks - Ta for help...
Hmm I'm really struggling on this one...I just 'ain't into space type things so finding inspiration hard to come by. Laters
Scraggy

Scraggy_Dogg 04-09-2003 03:46 PM

Problems problems.

Strange thing just happened. I deleted those 'Hinge' faces to make a new lower poly one, but this left a hole in bottom of back and back of seat..
As I need a Face to create the wedge again, I thought I would try 'Fill Hole' .... Hmm It left this sort of wierd black thing with no selectable edges? So I tried extrude edge, but it came out at 45 Degrees.... So how am I supposed to fill this hole..? Any ideas.?

Witchy 04-09-2003 04:30 PM

Try using the append to polygon tool instead (polygons/append to polygon tool); it can be a handy tool to have in your shelf if it is not there already, as Mike mentioned in the challenge thread.

Select it, select the object and the edges available for appending will be highlighted in thicker green than the rest. Click on the first edge or on the purple target triangle, and then on a second one and a new face will be created, filling your hole. I find append polys useful as you can dictate where the fill goes; handy for uneven shapes.

Scraggy_Dogg 04-09-2003 05:26 PM

Ta very much :D

Thanks for that.. I will go and re-read mike's list and go through that list of tools...... Learning 'Bevel' and 'Wedge' has Improved my modelling, but sometimes its hard to rembember to use it, and I go extruding away - only to realize later I could have made life a lot simpler with a quick 'Bevel' so to speak :D
That 'Apend Poly's' looks like a must have to me...

Scraggy

M 05-09-2003 05:19 AM

I would go and just make the edges of your chair a 45 degree poly or something. I am liking where this is going.. i can start to see it :). keep it up.

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 01:18 PM

A regular Goldmine!!!!!!

Whoooaaaa !!! Just found exactly what I needed, and it's all on the Alias site.... 3D-101 ......!!!!!!
I picked Polygons from the dropdown and there are all these cool little Flash vid's explaining each tool, I probably would have seen it earlier, but have NEVER been able to find my way around their site properly even before the change. I got it bookmarked now...
I wrote this JIC someone else needs tut's on Poly's and doesn't know they are there....

"Why do we have to wear these ridiculous ties"?

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 04:39 PM

Having problems getting 'feel'

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guy's/Gal's
I spent the first day doing an outer level going off Mike's piccy's, but when I checked the day after - It looked like a vlatant rip off of the pictures posted. - So I threw that scene away.
So I spent yesterday trying to create another outdoor area, but I still seem to run into problems.
I don't want to copy the images that Mike put up, just to get the 'feel' of them... But once I started, as you can see the resulting scene looks like it could have been a church in a WW2 game...!
Not as if it would fit into Unreal.

OK I now see that putting a 'fence' type railing is probably the worst thing I could put on there, but please can you give me some other pointers on how I could 'Bash' this back into shape and make it have more of the 'feel' of the original shots?
If not then it's Outdoor MK3

Cheers Scraggy

HappyLemon 05-09-2003 05:13 PM

I was going to create somethign with more "flare" tooo, in the first place, but then I checkout out some game's concept drawing and the game's screen shot (like Syberia) and the two of them really isn't that different. I started following the drawing mostly the same and will add to the flare later.

The feeling of the building is blunt, bulky,and not spiky, try to follow that?

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 05:27 PM

Need Inspiration !!!!

The more I look, the more I hate it.... I think I better go try something else, then come back to it... Otherwise I will delete it.

I just can't get the 'hang' of this style ..... Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying every minute, but it is frustrating, must be like that in the job but 100x worse when your not 'into' the subject you are creating.......

Please keep the comments coming thick and fast... I need Inspiring people.... (Maybe I should go play Unreal for a while)...

Cheers Scraggy.....

mtmckinley 05-09-2003 05:52 PM

Well, if you aren't into that concept, perhaps try one of the others?

Scraggy_Dogg 05-09-2003 07:56 PM

Call me old fashioned.....

Thanks for the offer of 'opting out', but as you have spent so much time creating this challenge, and it is a "Real World" Challenge as far as possible, then I feel that as I have accepted the challenge, then do or die - I must at least try my best to complete it as far as my ability's go...
I would still like some comments regarding what to/not do... In regards to the last picture... It does NOT look as if it would fit with the Posted piccy's ... I agree with HappyLemon about the Blocky thing... Is there anything else someone can help me with......?

Scraggy :D

I'm sure I heard someone say delete it...?
Where's Vampus when you need him?

Witchy 05-09-2003 11:35 PM

I don't think it doesn't fit altogether. It looks a bit castle like, mostly due to the shape of the doors and the spikes, but I think you could make it fit in with the concept by adding some futuristic touches and other things. I don't think you should delete it. Try adding some chunky bays or towers to it - maybe this could be a corner tower rather than a centre piece. Perhaps add some vehicle bays or landing areas like in the concept and some larger defences.

carrot juice 05-09-2003 11:46 PM

Yah, I agree with Witchy. it's great work, and it could be pretty easily made to fit. the corner thing is a good idea, methinks.

mtmckinley 06-09-2003 02:28 AM

I wasn't meaning for you to opt out. There's 4 concepts available for this challenge, so I was figuring if you didn't like Concept #1, you could try one of the others. :)

Scraggy_Dogg 06-09-2003 12:42 PM

Concept connundrum

Understood, :D Will keep at concept one for awhile and see what comes out.... If still nothing will then consider a swap.

Cheers

Have started a new one and I think it looks better, will post when some more is completed - see what the feedback is...

:D Scraggy's Dog.

Scraggy_Dogg 06-09-2003 09:13 PM

Problemo....

1 Attachment(s)
OK ...
I tried deleting some of the 'inside' err un-viewable quads/poly's w/ever This brought me this problem.... I wondered which is the best way of making a plane at the base of the 8 sides... But I have to make a hole in the centre to allow Ladder access....? :(
I tried messing with the Tool Options and am sure it's the answer but....Cannot suss it out... [I mean work it out]

I have highlit? edges.

Hmmm OK Forget that... Because that model has dissapeared totally, and all that is left is the stairs and pipes
This has happened a couple of times... where a piece out of the scene has disappeared....? Any Ideas? I have looked in outliner etc... Nope... not there...! I sit maybe because I didn't delete History ????
I'm confused...

Scraggy :banghead: