Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Jan/Feb - TwistedDragon33 - Noob (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9960)

twisteddragon33 23-01-2004 02:00 PM

Jan/Feb - TwistedDragon33 - Noob

Emerald; Fighting Robot. Built by a famous inventer in his prime Emerald, names after his acronym M-roleD for Multi-RoleDroid. Programmed in various forms of combat Emerald was designed as a Body Gaurd, Assasin, Assistant to his inventor. However when on a Mission to assasinate a threat to his master, his master was killed. Emerald returned finding his master dead, however his masters creation was alive. Emerald, useing experience and information gien to him by his creator through assisting him, he repaired himself, upgraded himself, and and enhanced all his functions to the breaking point. The only way he could see in carrying on his creator, his fathers name, was to be remembered, the best.

Images to follow.

twisteddragon33 23-01-2004 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right hand, Robot Fighter Emerald.

twisteddragon33 23-01-2004 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right hand with Wrist and slight metallic texture.

mtmckinley 23-01-2004 02:08 PM

Lots of robots in the challenge. :) That's ok, though. looking forward to it, Twisted!

twisteddragon33 23-01-2004 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another section of armor, not sure if the wrist armor is right, i might have to reshape it, although now it does mold around the thumb, and have room to bend in both directions a good deal, ideal for fighting.

twisteddragon33 23-01-2004 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now with the whole arm without the armor coverings.

Clod 23-01-2004 02:46 PM

Cool looking hand and arm.

Pony 24-01-2004 03:49 AM

Great job with that twisted.

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just a working on the feet... Im trying to make everything in the same style so it seems to flow better.. Its tricky for me.

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The foot. A little more on it though. With the same generic metalic texture.

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the foot. i am taking a lot of time on it, because i put a lot of time into the hand too.. so might aswell.

Think im going piston heavy, but you know... it needs a lot of pricise movements...

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jumping ahead a little, i decided to have some small bars over the tubes in the foot, this would also make it more effective when kicking so it doesnt break its fragile tubes(that are going to be either wires or energy tansfer conduits).

Anyway, also got the ankle in place. Now onto the shoulder and hip.

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
small attempt at seeing what i could do with the armor.

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Redid the shoulder joint, I was avoiding cup/ball joints for some reason, not sure why. But i like this cylinder cupling joint. I used the same style for the hip.

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a little work on the ribs.

The joints on the shoulder and hip look a little weak to me. Luckily ill be covering them in a few layers of armor. Im thining that im going to have one regular armor coat. And another coor armor coat to accent certain details.

mtmckinley 24-01-2004 05:56 PM

Coming along. :)

twisteddragon33 24-01-2004 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Altered the rib cage to go more with the flow of the design And started making the armor for it. I also finally got around to doing a drawing of it... i was surprised how nice the drawing came out.. hopefully what i drew will be what it looks like.

Clod 25-01-2004 12:12 AM

This is looking good! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Have you any plans for a weapon or two?

lonepig 25-01-2004 12:34 AM

Nice work mate. You gona animate and do a special move as well?

twisteddragon33 25-01-2004 03:20 PM

Clod: I was thinking of giving him a chain gun, however somoene at simplylightwave is doing a robot with a chaingun, so im thinking just a handheld long barrel plasma gun, or shoulder mounted railgun, possibly multiwarhead guided missiles that will fire from a hatch in his torso. Havent decided.

I will animate if i have time... as i joined near a month late im a little strapped for time and trying to get through the modeling phase fast.. while still making it good.

For my special move i couldnt decide either. The tubes that go along all the sections of the body i plan to glow brightly for a second, than fire an energyball out of the body at the opponent.

Clod 25-01-2004 04:46 PM

What about lasers blasting from his eyes, not sure how you could animate this but it would look cool in a render.

twisteddragon33 25-01-2004 06:56 PM

i know how i could animate it easily, just have the beam start as a small cylinder in his eyes with the pivot at the eye end of the cylinder, set the lambert with a glow, hide the object keeping the glow and key fram till about 30 frames later with the cylinder expanding. boom, you have a nice laser. However i still dont know how to render an animation.. i asked in the rendering section here and although the answers i got where good.. i didnt understand them and they didnt work.

I decided to go a different way with my guy, So hes not going to have much of armor, mostly going to be its bare skelleten with some coverings. but i think it will make it look scarier, kind of like a metal skeleton attacking you.

Pony 25-01-2004 11:34 PM

Thats a nice shader you've picked out there twisted. Really cool affect wtih your model.

I-Iybrid 26-01-2004 03:56 AM

Looking nice Mario man. One thing that jumps out at me, is the blockiness of certian areas. Now, Im not sure if your aware of that, or not. I also love that blue semi-transparent shader you've got there. Did you download it, or make it? Im not around all too much, but Im'a keep an eye out on this one. ;)

twisteddragon33 26-01-2004 09:20 AM

Yeah, i realize theres blockines sometimes. but i haent smoothed some edges yet and finished up some things.The shader was a simple x-ray shader, then i altered the color ad transparency and output and altered the ramp to make it lookkinda like plastic.

R4s1n 27-01-2004 12:46 PM

Dude sweet outcomes with your robot. Now comes the hard part of making the torso and attaching everything...

twisteddragon33 27-01-2004 07:08 PM

Well.. i figured out how to attatch the head to the spine... and i think i figured out how to attatch the spine to the groin area, and from that area to the legs.. im just having problems with the arms at the moment. But i think i got a nice jump on my head. ill post in about 10 minutes when i fix a few malicious problems.

twisteddragon33 27-01-2004 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, tool onger than i thought because i messed with textures a bit. but this is what i have so far.

I havent finished the ocular setup. And i have some room where the mouth is.. not sure what i should put there. I was thinking a semi hiddin machin gun.

Well here it is.

Special thanks to ryan, Hybrid for help with coming up with texture ideas.

Stormgetto 27-01-2004 11:18 PM

Twisted!!!!my hero....you R doing great.....
Once one teacher from Motion Art told me that if u wanna make a robot that looks perfect just make meaning for all those part u goin to make it!!!!!!!
And u doin very good in this concept.......
Looks like not heave armored but heave titaniun bones "Terminator"........
I was wondering.....is quiet unfair I'm doin a man...for this all cyborg and robots.........(I need to start to think in really nice secret moves and enormous combos)

Pony 28-01-2004 03:45 AM

Twisted btw.. I just wanted to say your doing some good work hear. But I am rather inpresed that you have a story behind your robot and you included that. Its a very good story also. I know there are others in this challenge that have done the same. For all - I like seeing it.

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 12:45 PM

Storm: thats actually how im modeling the robot. Im trying to only use parts that would have a purpose, i put some minor limitations on myself. Like im avoiding ball joints... dont know why... but i dont feel they flow with the model well. Im trying to make all joints usable to all movements. Im even going to run wires down the inside of the arms and legs(i almost finished the arms.

Pony: I like the story too. It was fun to come up with one aswell. It also decided how my model would look. Since part of it was made by its creator, and some of it was ammendments it made to itself i purposely made slightly different styles in different parts of it to show where he made it and where his master made it.

Ive done a few updates but nothing that needs a screen of. I finally made a working .avi of what i think my special move will be. But i need to maybe amplify it more.. because now his special move doesnt require any movement by him.

I remade the arms but kept the hands and shoulders but the arms look exceedingly better. And it also gave me an idea on a weapon. The weapon idea should look nice when animated.

Also, how do i make the glows stop flickering in the .avi, i know i have to turn something off.. i just cant recall what it is.

Clod 28-01-2004 01:06 PM

I was going to suggest some kind of drilling mechanism as a weapon, but looks like you've already decided on a weapon :).

I-Iybrid 28-01-2004 03:53 PM

Looking nice Mario. I like the lava type effect inside the brain. I remember when you were using LW. You barely could make anything and now, your making all kinds of stuff. Definately progressing man. Keep it up. :)

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 05:03 PM

Yeah... good old lightwave. I was lucky if i could make a cylinder... I love mayas user interface, its very easy flow, makes working on it fun. You should like the lava effect, you helped me come up with it:), you should see it animated. Ill send you a clip of it in a bit. Its pretty cool with it all spinning around and glowing.

Clod: Im always open to suggestions because i still havent decided on anythign yet. Personally i was thinking of using some sort of melee weapon... because i think a gun or something might be a little excessive. Maybe blades extruding from the new arms. Incase anyone wants to see the new arms ill throw a render up in a sec.

All i have to do now is redo the legs, it should only take me about 10 minutes... then its onto connecting the legs and shoulder... shouldnt be too hard. ive been thinking about it for a few days and sketched out about 7 possibilities.

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the new arm. Its a little more lowteck than the old one. But i think it looks better and flows with the model more. In addition it will make it easier to attatch things to it, like armor, weapons, gadgets. so on.

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
redid parts of the leg, i think they are coming out better. Need to add more wires and find out why the image keep getting blurry...

Clod 28-01-2004 06:44 PM

Good stuff, he's coming togther well.

Actually, I've tought of a better weapon twisted, how about giving him one of these:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~Sharpsho...es/Buzzsaw.jpg

Ouch!

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 07:40 PM

a buzzsaw? that might work but where would i put it?

Clod 28-01-2004 09:55 PM

How about this:

Place it in the arm on an rotateable joint... He could grab someone's (--insert body part here--) and then send the buzzsaw out to inflict some serious pain.

Side and top views:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~sharpsho...zzsaw-plan.jpg

Pony 28-01-2004 11:46 PM

Twisted, I did not see the answer posted yet. About the glows flickering I think that is solved buy turning off the auto exposure.