View Single Post
# 1 03-05-2004 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber

Trying a humanoid + hands question

Hey, guys.

I have now come to the point when I want to give modeling a humanoid a serious try. The only organic I've tried before was a fish, and truth be told, that didn't work out well.

Of the humanoid, this is what I have so far:

user added image
Front-ish

user added image
Back-ish

If you get any thoughts on how to improve on the above, please share. Don't mind my feelings user added image

I was in such a hurry when starting out that I didn't bother with any image planes, or references of any kind. That turned out to cause some smaller sorts of inconveniences; nothing major, but small albeit annoying things.

As it is, I have only some very basic knowledge of Maya, and its tools, but I believe the best thing to do is modeling the hands, and the head, separately. Unfortunately as of yet I have no idea how to attach those once they are modeled.. but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually.

My hands-related question, though, is this: When modeling the hands separately, what should I keep in mind? Should I worry about the hand matching up with the end of the arm perfectly, or can there be discrepancies? I suppose this question applies to to the head, as well.

Anyways. So far I'm having plenty of fun. A lot of people apparently start out with a single box (box-modeling?); I tried that, and it was mad difficult. Building from a single polygon plane was the solution for me.