View Single Post
# 4 28-08-2004 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
sure a degree is great, but if you can't model or animate at a good pace not many people will want you to work for them. If you're slow now, maybe going through college to get a degree will make you faster.... and maybe it won't... It all depends. Some people can learn on their own fine, but some people need to be in an environment to get going.

For me, in my opinion I think I can model just fine. I'm going through the Art Institute of Atlanta right now because a) I want a degree and b) I want to draw better. Yeah I could probably teach myself to draw like I taught myself Maya, but I just don't want to unless I'm in a classroom with other people. I have also learned things I know I wouldn't have learned myself though, so it makes it worthwhile.

Now although I won't be able to even use Maya until the second or third year here, I'm fairly sure I'm going to fly through the class because I already know so much.

One huge company in particular to note is Rare Ltd. (www.rareware.com) They are big for making fantastic video games and are very well known, but for years I have heard them say repeatedly that they hire people based upon their skill level for the most part. A degree or even experience in the field isn't required. (although obviously people who have been in the field for a while most likely have better skills than people who don't)

anyway... that's what I think.

www.Darkware3D.com