View Single Post
# 67 06-10-2004 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
If it's not too late some small requests hehe.

1) Proper geometry for 3D engines. I think you'll have this in the book, but the pitfalls and do's and dont's covered extensively. Is planar surfaces still important for 3D engines? Such things.

2) Exporters and exporting workflow. Get technical please hehe. How much can be done in maya and exported into the engine, the use of shaders and materials in maya into the game, mental ray and games.

3) If possible a chapter on the Maya gamedev SDK. Introductory, when and how to best use it. The programmers are capable of reading syntax and tutorials hopefully, so with the non-techy-artist in mind, or for those who wants to get a little more technical.

4) Good cheats (to cut time) and strategies on how to re-use art work, animation, models and so on in good ways. Bit like your alpha transparency tutorial to give the hillbilly shorts. More of it along those lines.

5) Small piece on using Maya for Isometric view. It's not dead yet and still very cool for little hobby games even though all the big studios insists on fullblown 3D although (if implemented and executed badly) it totally kills the gameplay.

Would be nice with a small intro to little 3rd party tools the game artist shouldn't be without, but I realize it's a Maya speciffic book and most studios develop their own tools to fit their own needs.

Hope any of this raised some new ideas, or others can be used in the sequel or so. If not you still have an excited customer in me lol. More importantly, thank you for writing this book.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy