Thread: Why Maya?
View Single Post
# 56 02-11-2002 , 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Silencer
Cuz as we all know the financial future of A/W and sgi isn't so terribly bright as it used to be user added image

Man, I would surely want someone to enlighten me on all this A|W´s going down scenarios because this isn´t the only place I´ve read something about it.

I mean, is it true? is it actually in a bad financial situation? I was under the impression that they not only selled their big VFX packet known as Maya, but also a great design tool StudioTools (which is slowly getting into all mayor cars companies), having said that, wouldn´t they profit from that? Almost all small VFX companies are migrating to Maya also, how is it possible they´re in a bad situation? ... my 2 cents are, they aren´t.

Having merged Alias, Wavefront and SGI back in 1995, with their software used in almost every blockbuster film (if not completely then at least parts of it), 27 field offices around the world, and their research department up (and running like crazy, testing new technologies like 2 handed modelling and shifting computer input paradigms) and actually looking for people (not laying them off -first sign something is wrong-) I find it hard to believe they´re doing bad.

Even Apple tried buying the company. They couldn´t.
(well, I guess so after seeing what they did with Shake)

I would certainly want to know though how they´re stock is doing, since I don´t have a clue ... perhaps we could better evaluate the company´s perfomance with it.

Bottom line is,
There´s still a lot of Maya in store for us in the future. (hell! I should get a tablet)

user added image

adldesigner
Caracas, Venezuela
Hell .. not gone perse, but with a certainly lower post count per day.

Last edited by adldesigner; 02-11-2002 at 08:43 PM.