View Single Post
# 5 04-04-2005 , 06:08 AM
Okay here are a few insights:
All the shader are based on an mental ray network. The burred reflection part was sampled 5 times to get a nice smooth blur effect.
The lightning was done with an simple spotlight. Itensity was 1, color is controlled with an mib_cie_d node, so I can set itensity and color with CIE based values (color temperature in kelvin). When using this node, it's a little bit hard to get the photon color right... The spotlight was used as an area light with upper sampling of 10 to get nice shadows.
About the reflections... trace depth was set to 2, otherwise the renderer would have produced more reflections, I only wanted to have one reflection on every wall.
I used 100.000 photons emitted from the spotlight to get a little better indirect lightning, Final Gathering was used to smooth out the Global Illumination solution. One note perhaps... using all the caching capabilities that Maya/mental ray offers can save a great amount of rendering time. Before optimizing the scene, rendering time was around 45 minutes on an 1,8 GHz AMD. After some tweaks render time was around 10 minutes with GI and FG. You can save around 5 minutes with saving the GI/FG solution. Hope you like it...
-Klaus

Klaus Stangl
inferno*&Maya
www.worldofmaya.com