View Single Post
# 7 18-07-2005 , 05:29 PM

Originally posted by matt4068
im not a big fan of duel processors, they dont do much, one processor runs one program and the other runs the other.. i duno if maya has the capability of using both at once. id just get the best processor instead of 2 okish ones.

"Dual core processors" are NOT "dual processors"

With "dual core processors" you only have one silicon chip but inside that is two independent processors and their respective caches and cache controllers. So it is like having two seperate processors, but you only buy one.

So you can be burning a DVD while working in Maya or play a a video game, or you can watch a DVD while rendering a long sequence of images within Maya. All with ease.

I assume that when doing single tasks, both "cores" with be working together.

Basically dual core is the future and will make your life better (and in my case, save me a few quid on buying new keyboards).

EDIT: Just mention that Maya does allow you to use multiple processors (i.e. render farms) . The option is somewhere within the "Rendering" options. Also, i hear it will be possible to "hook up" to the new PS3 and make use of its uber fast "cell" processor for rendering.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 18-07-2005 at 05:36 PM.