View Single Post
# 3 23-10-2005 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber

Re: Med Lab modeling

Originally posted by Jonathan Lyons
I need to build a simple environment for some animation, so I thought this would be just the thing. But frankly, I'm disappointed. In some aspects of Maya, I am advanced, but I really struggle with modeling. This tutorial was listed as "intermediate", so I thought it would be appropriate.

I watch tutorials to learn tools and techniques. This video uses the same few simple tools over and over again. I don't think it required 7 parts to show it. I only learned a couple of things. As far as techniques go, I found it odd that most of the modeling was done in the perspective view with vetexes being eyeballed into place, based on one crude sketch. Just becuase it's a cartoony set, doesn't mean it should be sloppily done. I'm sure Kurt doesn't model a motorcycle this way.

I think you should make the first three parts free.

i'm guessing your from a technical background.. one that likes to get things as perfect as they possibly can?
if not then i apologise... but you remind me of several friends of mine that share similar opinions (and they are more technical with maya and xsi)
during my course at escape studios several instructors stated that modelling is a form of art, not everything has to be precise or exact...
I agree that modelling does have very limited tools in comparision to other fields of 3d... take visual effects for example... but theres a difference between knowing the tools and mastering the tools, and thats part of the key to modelling.

Also bear in mind that modelling based on sketch is completley different to modelling with a blueprint... with a sketch you only have your imagination and artistic style to create it (within the bounds of the sketch). where as a blueprint/photograph... well the works pretty much done for you...

If you want to create something more accurate or with attention to detail- nip over to gnomon and get their digital sets dvds.

Cant speak for everyone else but I purchased this tutorial not to learn how to build a set... but rather how to create one (in terms of the starting point for creating and expanding)... and have found it very useful, shame you didn't.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)