Thread: foot rig
View Single Post
# 10 16-11-2005 , 01:21 PM
The thing is, having a reverse foot rig allows you to rotate the toes on the X axis and the leg will move (through IK) but the foot will stay firmly planted on the ground. That is step one. No problem there...

The next thing is that the toes, which are being controlled by a reverse foot, now have to curl under. The reverse foot can not do that. My solution was to reverse the reverse foot with a mel script so that it becomes a forward foot. As I said; it worked fine for posing the model but the reversing of the foot rig heirarchy was not keyframable for animation.

I guess a good question would be; is a reverse rig so important? Are there other ways to keep the foot planted during a walk cycle?

Anyway, I have some new tutorials and other information to go through that will hopefully shed some light on this problem. It's not just feet we're talking about either. Think of Spiderman when he climbs up a wall. He puts his hand on the wall then moves upward but his hand doesn't move. Either the animator keyframed it very carefully or he/she had another way to make sure that it didn't move.