View Single Post
# 3 08-01-2006 , 06:33 AM
Subscriber
Hey Fallot,
Nice to hear from you. I always admired your work. Also I appoligise for the delay, but I was away for a couple of days.

As to your reply about adjusting the Irradiance Color, I am not using mental ray. However, are you saying that we should only use linear and quadratic decays in mental ray, or are you just thinking I am using mental ray because I am doing this to fake global illuminance? If it is just because you think I was using mental ray and linear decay to fake GI, then that isn't the case. My reasons are the following. First off, I thought I should learn about lighting in general before I even go into GI. Second, I didn't like using mental ray render and mental ray shadows because it gave too much of a sharp shadow, (meaning shadows don't fade away), and adjusting the Shadow Rays and Ray Depth Limit only creates a pixelatted fade of shadows or I am just doing it wrong. In addition, the reason why I was using linear decay was because I didn't understand how to get the look I was looking for with using quadratic decay. Furthermore, using no decay with its intensity set above 0.75 seems creates sharp hot spots as well but doesn't illuminate the room correctly. So I came up with a solution. Put a linear decay light inside the ligh fixture, and place a normal point light below the light fixture with no decay and its intensity set to a much lower value. This works with bigger rooms but it doesn't seem to work with smaller rooms. In conclusion, is there anything else I could do or should I just make the room a little bit bigger and forget about it? I know it would work that way, but I ask becuase just incase I ever need to create a small scene or a walk-in closet etc.

Also, I have one more question. While wortking with area lights, I noticed that if I point the light down towards the floor, after rendering it also lights the ceilling as well. I thought that area lights only light in one direction? Isn't this so, and is there any way to see a light's directional path in the camera view like in MAX?