View Single Post
# 11 08-01-2006 , 10:31 PM
Subscriber
Yups sry dudes, I said something the wrong way it seems.
I'm not telling soft.renderer can achieve such results in maya, well, not as mray but close maybe to this type of rendering. In Maya, I wouldn't use Ambient light though. Point lights, low intensity, but lots of them... and i'm pretty sure it is fakable. Got still some dark point 'bout ambient occlusion with software renderer ... maybe using some dirt shader. I didn't investigate into software that much. Just in the very beginning. Now i'm addicted to MRay, and Turtle excites me also.

The aim Bob was only pointing at some lighting concept (soft or mray, vray ... whatever) ... light is light.

So Bob, yes, i think it IS closely fakable with software renderings, but get the concept as effective solution I would say. Faking irl if you use soft .... and .... get it really close, if vray, or mray, or any other advanced renderer is used.

Hope you got what i intend to say guys.
I'm not always sure 'bout my english user added image

a bit HS (cause MRay) but i'm in that too right now so I share

Think about splitting. I'm having hard testing right now on lighting schemes in maya (why i 'flood' this topic). Well, some Py's humble way. Surely not the best, but I want it effective. So lets see user added image

Here's a sample of a lighting scheme. midday round september. it's quite difficult now to tell the time, well, cause of the black bg (hdri is hidden for cam) and no trees, nothing, so strange hehe. Also cause many lights are missing so its bit early. I'll soon post a complete explanation on the very beginning.

Sky : hdri (0.2 color gain) so pale ambient blue, mostly for backlighting.
Sun : Spot - Photons (400k with relative very high temperature hehe, like 300000 intensity)
Corridor : Point area - Photons (100k with relative low temp 8k) linear
3 first main windows (the ones from main "cube") : point area quadratic - no photons.

Got 6 more to add and finalize modeling for the kitche (bottom left). Then i'll post "my" results. All these are Outer lights only. Faking sun and bright sky.

Got also all the inside lighting to add and bounce these photons with the modeling of the interior.

Then i'll post results as soon as I think its convincing. Hope i'll get it :blush:

user added image

There's some occlusion missing in that rendering also, detail but it looses depth a bit. FG helps but it's surely not enough.

Well, do not pay attention to rendering time, i pushed it while comparing real light details like photons second bounces within the tiny corridor window/holes "chassis".

Well, not telling more now, still lot to model and tune ... colors , intensity etc.

It will pay i guess. user added image

(got many screenshot about progression like this one. In fact the basic scene I set up to tune the photons radius)

Sky HDRI and Spot-photons, volontarily overburned - i'm looking at precision samples in dark areas so)
user added image

So, once more, i'm convinced about splitting :attn:

I stop bothering you with this now lol ...

... but split dah lights and bounce them by hand ahhahahaha