Thread: Humvee
View Single Post
# 3 23-01-2006 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
Hi Bunny, nice modeling, though i got some crits.

Didn't ya underestimate the size o'dah gun dude ? :p
user added image

Seriously now ...

Humvee's tires are not that deep ... or is it on a particular ref ? user added image
I think you should really model the tire. I mean with the squares and all. These tires are really what makes the humvee as being a vehicle that could eat you in some way ... hope you understand what I mean. (or you intend texturing bump/displace these ?)
user added image

Apart from that, I would say that some of you edges are really too sharp.
Bevel is you friend on that chapter user added image
Mostly on all front.
Humvee is a pretty massive but rounded on edges, as are all new combat vehicles >> edges hurt, mostly while speeding on field.

About the gun-turret, I would suggest modeling the entire turret OUT of the car's roof cause there it seems it can't rotate.

Do you intend boolean the main cage, with that edgy piece we see up each tires ? user added image
If yes, you should spend time manually splitting/extruding the main cage rather than rely on bools for that dude, otherwise i'm sure you'll dry in the desert soon.

Well, some crits, but i'm sure you're tuning these points already user added image

ps : Can't wait for antenna and front bumpers user added image

------------------------------------------------

Booleans under MAYA. They are just really sensitive to meshes topology. Just works fine, if topology is correct.

My experience so far about bools make me think you still got weird polys, even if you removed non-manifolds AND merge vertices AND conformed the normals.

>> further, smthg I noticed, and this clearly kills booleans under Maya : unusefull polys inside your mesh and/or unclosed volumes is what you got to look for now.

This mostly arises when you extruded some without the "keep faces together" option checked or combining overlapping polys or polys sharing some vertices coordinates.

If you use bools, make absolutely sure your mesh is perfectly cleaned.

Hope that helps ... fight hard to get your humv clean.
All benefits after when texturing

user added image